If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pentax shutter count

Hello guys.

Just got my K100D and would like to know its current shutter actuation count. I've used Opanda (freeware) on a Nikon-taken shot and it readily displayed the "Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera" under the header "Maker Note".

For my Pentax-taken shot, can't find the shutter count and the "Maker Note" has a padlock icon beside it. If you try to edit it, the info is displayed in hexadecimals...first I don't know which entry represents the shutter count, and next I'll have to review my math to convert the value(s)

Help please. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pentax shutter count

This has been discussed somewhere before and I think that the Pentax firmware does not record the shutter count in the same way Nikon does. EXIFs are not standard in a sense that there are 'undefined values' which are unique to different manufacturers.
    "How come you always load your Pentax
    When I'm in the nude?"
    (Popsicle Toes - Michael Franks)

BONG.UNI.CC | PENTAX PHOTO GALLERY | FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like

i see.
    thanks sir bong!

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the file number technically a record of the shutter count? I passed 10K shots this weekend! My file numbers were 9999, now I'm at 1011.
    Pentax K10D
    Pentax DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
    SMC Pentax A 50/2
    SMC Pentax M 50/1.4
    SMC Pentax F 50/1.7 (my new favorite lens)
    Asahi-Pentax Super Takumar 55/1.8
    Asahi-Pentax Takumar 135/2.8
    Tokina RMC 28/2.8
    Pentax FA J 75-300/4.5-5.6
    Cosina MC 100/3.5 Macro (saved)

My Photos on Multiply.

My Photos on flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Arcilla View Post
    Isn't the file number technically a record of the shutter count? I passed 10K shots this weekend! My file numbers were 9999, now I'm at 1011.
    what happens when we put a used sd card from another pentax camera?

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing. The camera creates a new folder, so there are no conflicts in file names. I walk around with 3 4GB cards and sometimes swap around.

I also discovered the new folder thing because whenever I go to malls and play with other cameras (i.e. D80, 40D, etc.) I stick my SD in for sample shots to compare when I get home. When I opened the drive, I found a bunch of Nikon- or Canon-specific named folders, each including only the shots I took with the respective cameras.
    Pentax K10D
    Pentax DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
    SMC Pentax A 50/2
    SMC Pentax M 50/1.4
    SMC Pentax F 50/1.7 (my new favorite lens)
    Asahi-Pentax Super Takumar 55/1.8
    Asahi-Pentax Takumar 135/2.8
    Tokina RMC 28/2.8
    Pentax FA J 75-300/4.5-5.6
    Cosina MC 100/3.5 Macro (saved)

My Photos on Multiply.

My Photos on flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE!!!

I was playing around with Exiftool

Guess what I found?!?

So... Pentax does tally the shutter actuation count, but it's buried in the exif data.

It even records alot of other things like Shake Reduction (Not Ready, Not Stabilized, or Stabilized), Battery/Grip Load, Lens Data, etc.

I just don't know if the shutter count data is accurate. The data above is from IMGP1280.PEF. It's off by 2497 actuations. But I think I did a reset before just can't remember. It works for PEFs and JPGs, dunno about DNGs.

Can I request those who recently bought their new cameras to try and read their shutter count and compare it with their current image number count (ex. IMGPXXXX). Thanks!

By the way, I tested a few images I took with Randy's K100D and the shutter count data is there too.
    Last edited by Randall Cipriano; 11-04-2007 at 11:14 PM.
    www.randallcipriano.com | rn.dll error

I am not a photographer. Fuji Instax Mini.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much for sharing randall...it really works!...now we can really know our shutter actuation...
    PENTAX K100D / tamrac expedition 3 / 5 million crumpler / DPP MAGAZINE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Cipriano View Post
    UPDATE!!!

I was playing around with Exiftool

Guess what I found?!?

http://pixelfrag.negimaki.com/galler...Untitled-1.png

So... Pentax does tally the shutter actuation count, but it's buried in the exif data.

It even records alot of other things like Shake Reduction (Not Ready, Not Stabilized, or Stabilized), Battery/Grip Load, Lens Data, etc.

I just don't know if the shutter count data is accurate. The data above is from IMGP1280.PEF. It's off by 2497 actuations. But I think I did a reset before just can't remember. It works for PEFs and JPGs, dunno about DNGs.

Can I request those who recently bought their new cameras to try and read their shutter count and compare it with their current image number count (ex. IMGPXXXX). Thanks!

By the way, I tested a few images I took with Randy's K100D and the shutter count data is there too.
    is exiftool reliable? i mean, i know i have turned on Noise reduction. Color space uncalibrated? how do i calibrate? SR not ready? hmmm.. this is weird...
    "if the photographer feels they need to circle and underline the subject as well as title the shot for me, then perhaps I am looking at the work of a moron who needs that kind of explicit direction themselves." - unnamed photographer

Post Thanks / Like

or i am just stupid..

here is a GUI version of exiftool, seems everything is in order when matched.
    PLUS this shows the AF area of the photo..

http://www.photome.de/home_eng.html

"if the photographer feels they need to circle and underline the subject as well as title the shot for me, then perhaps I am looking at the work of a moron who needs that kind of explicit direction themselves." - unnamed photographer