If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Newbie question about shutter speed

Hi,

Can't seem to find the answers anywhere (mods please delete if there is an existing thread).

I have a 400D with the kit lens. It says that the 400D has a shutter speed of 30 - 1/4000 seconds. It says on the manual that whenever I am on Tv (shutter priority) and the shutter speed blinks, I should set it to a lower/slower speed. The weird thing is that the fastest speed I can set without the shutter speed setting blinking is about 1/20 - 1/30. If I set it any higher it would blink! I was shooting at the office with a lot of available indoor lighting.

Does this mean I can't get the 1/4000 shutter speed with my kit lens? Or is the camera just saying that if I ignore the blinking/warning and took the shot, its going to be underexposed?

Help please...
    The real world does not exist. What you see is the world through My eyes...

Flickr

Super Moderator Princess Jarlyn Young's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie question about shutter speed

Hi there chris.. not familiar with canon.. if i am not mistaken.. since you were shooting with indoor lighting.. the camera is adjusting to the light that "comes in" your cam. did you try shooting what the camera was suggesting you to shoot? 1/20? 1/30?
    cez jarlyn young

"... art can heal, give confidence, and provide a voice." Maurice Henri on Cameras for Healing project on Sierra Leone

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Jarlyn Young View Post
    Hi there chris.. not familiar with canon.. if i am not mistaken.. since you were shooting with indoor lighting.. the camera is adjusting to the light that "comes in" your cam. did you try shooting what the camera was suggesting you to shoot? 1/20? 1/30?

Yes. But since I wasn't using any flash its still prone to either camera shake or the focus is off (I guess because of the subjects moving). thats why I wanted to set a faster shutter speed. The indoor lighting is more than adequate. I mean we've got a lot of fluorescent lights (2) every three feet.

Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTayag View Post
    Hi,

Can't seem to find the answers anywhere (mods please delete if there is an existing thread).

I have a 400D with the kit lens. It says that the 400D has a shutter speed of 30 - 1/4000 seconds. It says on the manual that whenever I am on Tv (shutter priority) and the shutter speed blinks, I should set it to a lower/slower speed. The weird thing is that the fastest speed I can set without the shutter speed setting blinking is about 1/20 - 1/30. If I set it any higher it would blink! I was shooting at the office with a lot of available indoor lighting.

Does this mean I can't get the 1/4000 shutter speed with my kit lens? Or is the camera just saying that if I ignore the blinking/warning and took the shot, its going to be underexposed?

Help please...
    remember, shooting TV compensates with the aperture of your lens, if it gave you 1/20 or 1/30, that's the ideal exposure setting for that lighting situation. ISO could also affect the suggested speed by the camera.
    gear line-up
    La Germania 4cu/ft. | Carrier A/C 2.5-3hp | Nokia 7210 | JVC Flat screen TV f/29" L| NIKE sneakers f/7.5-8in | Levi's jeans W32 L32 | Ipod 40G | PhiLips headphones with noise reduction

Post Thanks / Like

choose the highest ISO, set your lens to 18mm so you can get the maximum aperture of the kit lens. I believe the highest speed that you can get with this kind of available light would be between 125-200 @ ISO 1600 or I might be wrong since I don't have my camera with me right now to test it.
    gear line-up
    La Germania 4cu/ft. | Carrier A/C 2.5-3hp | Nokia 7210 | JVC Flat screen TV f/29" L| NIKE sneakers f/7.5-8in | Levi's jeans W32 L32 | Ipod 40G | PhiLips headphones with noise reduction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I understand now. So does that mean that If I shoot at a faster shutter speed the image would be under-exposed? And would I be correct if I say that I can still use a faster shutter speed (faster than 1/30 I mean) by compensating with a faster ISO and higher exposure compensation?

Thanks

Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, that means the lighting in your ofc is not bright enough to shoot higher than 1/20 or 1/30. If you shoot at higher speed, your photos will be underexposed. Of course your shutter speed could go higher, even if your using a kit lens. Have you tried opening up your aperture? Did your shutter speed go higher? Try changing your ISO setting. Use 400 or 800 if you want to achieve higher shutter speed. Just remember the higher ISO you go the noisier the picture will be. Try shooting outdoors using Tv mode. I'm sure you won't have problems getting the speed you like. Experiment with you camera settings.
    Enjoy the Passion. Keep on Shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the problem was that the lens wasn't set at 18mm. But I get the idea now

If I remember correctly the lens was set at 55mm which I now know is not a very good idea

Thanks for the help guys! I can now shoot in peace

Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTayag View Post
    I think the problem was that the lens wasn't set at 18mm. But I get the idea now

If I remember correctly the lens was set at 55mm which I now know is not a very good idea

Thanks for the help guys! I can now shoot in peace
    It does not matter where you set the lens. You should still get a higher shutter speed it there is enough light. You might think that the light is enough but the camera sensor reads it differently. Remember our eyes have auto aperture.
    Enjoy the Passion. Keep on Shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio L. Abong View Post
    It does not matter where you set the lens. You should still get a higher shutter speed it there is enough light. You might think that the light is enough but the camera sensor reads it differently. Remember our eyes have auto aperture.

Understood

Thanks for the advice.

Flickr