If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marco, I know what you mean. I also use RS premium... It's a fast RAW processor. (look here) Anyway, just remember when you modify RAW files, its properties doesn't really get changed physically or directly. The settings you apply to it are just saved as a separate file, if it cannot be integrated within the RAW file's metadata. But these settings aren't permanent and can be changed and tweaked anytime you work with the file. That's the beauty of RAW, all changes are reversible, unlike working with destructive JPGs.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Marco_Ingco]Hi guys,

I tried searching the forums for an answer for this one but I cannot seem to find it. How much time does it take you to process a raw file to get to a proof-material photo? What is your workflow technique until you get the picture to at least a proof-material photo?

funny the subject of raw shooting is discussed in the wedding forum. if i'm not mistaken only a minority of wedding photographers shoot raw.

:<)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Boy Escudero
    funny the subject of raw shooting is discussed in the wedding forum. if i'm not mistaken only a minority of wedding photographers shoot raw.

True (Sir) Eddie Boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh boy (no pun intended)... that puts me in the minority then. It's just that sometimes the camera's white balance gets the scene wrong and sometimes I would get minor exposure errors. With raw, I don't have to think about this and just worry about composing the pictures. I am not a seasoned pro like you, Sir Eddie Boy, so I need the flexibility that raw gives me.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Marco_Ingco; 08-24-2006 at 03:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco_Ingco
    Oh boy (no pun intended)... that puts me in the minority then. It's just that sometimes the camera's white balance gets the scene wrong and sometimes I would get minor exposure errors. With raw, I don't have to think about this and just worry about composing the pictures. I am not a seasoned pro like you, Sir Eddie Boy, so I need the flexibility that raw gives me.

Cheers!
    We're on the same boat Marco. I shoot raw too, most of the time... For archival quality that is.
    Last edited by Earl Gonzalez; 08-24-2006 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco_Ingco

Cheers!
    sus, don't get me wrong, i'd shoot raw, too, if i could, but having to go thru over 1000 pics per wedding will drive me absolutely nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    sus, don't get me wrong, i'd shoot raw, too, if i could, but having to go thru over 1000 pics per wedding will drive me absolutely nuts.

I'm sure (Sir) Eddie Boy you can nail most of your shots, shooting in Raw or not...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been shooting RAW for years now.. that doesnt mean I dont have to nail my shots.. but there are so much more advantages to it that nailing exposure. I wont go into this debate.. no point.. you just wont know until you make it part of your workflow.. and the time taken from downloading card to outputting for print is actually faster for an average wedding than shooting jpegs because I do not have to open up each file in full resolution in photoshop to correct stuff. Those that say professional wedding photogs dont shoot RAW doesnt know squat. Internationally renown wedding photogs like Joe Buissin shoot RAW. How do I know this? He uses Aperture.

The other advantage of shooting RAW is the quality of workfiles that we can produce from RAW. Shooting jpegs means you start work from a compress source.. shoot RAW means you can work from an uncompressed tiff. The only drawback I can see from RAW is the huge amount of storage space needed. Incredible.. have 3Tb of files now.. over 2 yrs.. and loads more in DVD archives.
    Last edited by David Cheok; 08-24-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    Moments are over in less than 1/60th of a second