If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Post Thanks / Like

Kenko tubes for EOS 350D

I just bought a Canon EOS 350D, has anybody out there used Kenko extension tubes for closeups. My 350D comes along with the following 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II,50mm f/1.8 II, and a Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3....
    Last edited by BUNZ_GUTIERREZ_MD; 08-13-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Kenko extension tubes (set of 3) for macro photography and it does get the job done maximum magnification can be achieved if you use it with your 50mm f/1.8.. with the 3 extension tubes stacked (12+20+36), you can get as much as 1.47 magnification ratio.. although the focusing distance would be very close.. a few downsides of using ext tubes are loss of few stops of light and losing infinity focus.. but it's a cheap alternative to true macro lenses!

Post Thanks / Like

How much?

Quote Originally Posted by sandy cuevas
    I use Kenko extension tubes (set of 3) for macro photography and it does get the job done maximum magnification can be achieved if you use it with your 50mm f/1.8.. with the 3 extension tubes stacked (12+20+36), you can get as much as 1.47 magnification ratio.. although the focusing distance would be very close.. a few downsides of using ext tubes are loss of few stops of light and losing infinity focus.. but it's a cheap alternative to true macro lenses!
    Sandy, how much did you get your extension tubes and where? It's over 9k at Avenue

Have you tried using it with longer focal lengths?

-Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Enriquez
    Sandy, how much did you get your extension tubes and where? It's over 9k at Avenue

Have you tried using it with longer focal lengths?

-Mel
    my bro got it for me while he was in HK.. couldn't remember the price though but it was cheaper to buy it from there.. yep I've tried it with longer focal lengths but you won't get as much magnification as with the 50mm..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy cuevas
    my bro got it for me while he was in HK.. couldn't remember the price though but it was cheaper to buy it from there.. yep I've tried it with longer focal lengths but you won't get as much magnification as with the 50mm..
    Thanks.

-mel

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sandy...can you post up some pix captured using these Kenko thing - doclouie

Post Thanks / Like
    how much did you get your extension tubes and where

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BUNZ_GUTIERREZ_MD
    Thank you sandy...can you post up some pix captured using these Kenko thing - doclouie
    sorry this is not sandy

i also use the kenko tubes (got it for 7k second hand) and i use it with my 50mm 1.8. i switch to MF and when all three tubes are stacked i literally have to move around for focusing. some samples here:

http://www.pbase.com/hochiabaya/macro

you can also check out ricky santos' macro shots using the exact same system (300d/kenko/50mm) - he was the one who finally convinced me to get the kenko tubes

http://www.pbase.com/arbil
    Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou very much for the post hochi...I viewed the url u gave me...the shots were really nice...hope i could learn how to shoot really well

Post Thanks / Like

Is a sigma 50mm 1.8 better than Kenko tubes...Price difference is 6thou. Sigma macro 15thou Kenko 9thou. . . Thanks
    Last edited by BUNZ_GUTIERREZ_MD; 07-05-2007 at 06:32 PM.