If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to shoot Cambodia? Angkor wat?

Hello everyone.

I need some help. I am currently in Phnom Penh and will go to Angkor Wat on April 20 and will spend about 2 days in the area (Siem Reap). Any tips/advice you can share to help me maximize this opportunity??

been really preparing for this but the closer to the 20th the more worried I become in failing to bring home nice photographs.

so far, here's what I've got:

1. I think i have decent gear with me, a D70 with 18-70, 70-210, 50mm, SB 600, plus 3 batteries, 2GB CF card, tripod, and a laptop.

2. I have two cambodian friends (drinking buddies and former classmates hehe) to accompany me and show me around.

Also, I lack a ND filter and its so sunny here that the metering goes berserk at times such that I had to use up to 2 stops or more of EV compensation. any tips on how to effectively workaround this?

So any tips, advice, etc.? will really appreciate any help. thanks
    Last edited by Robert Sandoval Jr.; 04-17-2007 at 11:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    never been to cambodia... but planning to go there sometime soon.

but here's what i'll do/plan if im in your place

> since you got your buddies with you, you dont have to worry about being lost. so you have all the time in the world to shoot the place.

> gear is ok. not sure if you miss to include it but dont forget to bring your CPL.

> get up early.. shoot sunrise and shoot at night.

> use your buddies to interact with the local... the shoot to your heart's delight.. to get those kick-a$$ portraits shots.

> bring water - you dont want to get dehydrated during the magic hour dont you?

argh! cambodia...i envy you, man .... hahaha!

good luck and share those takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks so much levi. that was really helpful. there was a problem with the connection when I viewed your post last week thats why I wasnt able to reply. I was able to take some though, Im travelling with relatives with my friends just tagging along so I didnt have all the time in the world to shoot. I had fun nevertheless. Im now in bangkok, I will share the Vietnam and Cambodia photos when I get home this weekend. too bad our schedule here permits only shopping and not sight seeing.

I hope to re-visit these two magnificent countries soon. two different cultures sharing one river, just so many stuff to shoot.

cheers man. thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to shoot Cambodia? Angkor wat?

I would like to revive this thread. Any thoughts? I'm specifically interested to know what kind of lens is best (uwa, mid or telephoto), if filters are necessary, specific locations to shoot in?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Ong View Post
    I would like to revive this thread. Any thoughts? I'm specifically interested to know what kind of lens is best (uwa, mid or telephoto), if filters are necessary, specific locations to shoot in?

Thanks!
    Hi Olivia,

Im also planning to go to vietnam-->cambodia-->thailand and im doing my review.

For landscape photography use a wide angle zoom lens like 10-24mm or 12-24mm

You can also use 18-55mm, and dont forget to bring your tripod they said that there is a place in Cambodia where photographers go to shoot for sunrise/sunset...

For filters, im thinking of buying SQUARE Filters only...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was a good question since I've never seen good photos from friends and people I know on Angkor Wat and I'm planning to bulk up in travels in Asia to get visas.
    I think the best tip is to study the place itself through information and photos online then make a plan out of it since you'll be shooting people with you in the trip.
    I saw some photos that there were plenty of photographers waiting to catch the sunset, that could be a challenge getting a nice and clean shot. By the way, mid-day seems to be the unfavorable for a good photo.

While I was typing my reply above, I did quick search and found this site.
    http://www.adventurouskate.com/thing...ut-angkor-wat/

Post Thanks / Like

@adrian, The first picture in the link you sent is so funny.

I might bring my 10-22. I wonder if should bring my tamron 17-50 2.8 or a 70-200 (thinking of purchasing one)? I'm hoping to bring just one additional lens. Im also checking out pictures or Angkor wat, still can't decide what to bring.

Post Thanks / Like

cecille/oliver try searching, there was a post from a pentaxian friend who was in siem reap (?)/pnom penh - ankor wat and other temple. he posted some pictures plus some ips.
    my office mate and his family were there several weeks ago and yes there was a try on the sunrise and sunset on ankor. actually there are 4 temples to see and ankor wat should be seen late in the afternoon because of the sunset.
    lately there has been a post/nat geo yata on another temple site which is very new ( near siem reap) and which tourists have not yet fully discovered. the post mentioned that it was safe and little by little becoming know, shooting will not be as difficult as the ankor wat temples because of the large number of poeple messing your pictures. i will try to look in my archives and make another post.

we were in vietnam in october 2010 bwfore i retired and we failed to travel by land to cambodia because of lack of info. most people we talked to said to take a plane but it was expensive. taking a bus was cheaper but it was a whole day trip necessitating a 2 day booking in cambodia. no problem though as it is still cheap there.

by july cebu pacific or another airline is reportedly starting a direct flight from manila, something which is not presently available

i belioeve travelling light, a tripod and probably one or two extra lenses will be sufficient as it will entail walking and climbing to ghet good angles. the oarking area in akor is very far and a heavy backpack will be very burdensome. maybe a 10-24 and 55 to 200/300 will be enough, plus a sturdy tripod and a small flash for the shaded areas will cover your gear list (extra storage cards and spare batteries too.
    UOTE=Cecille Robles;1293163]Hi Olivia,

Im also planning to go to vietnam-->cambodia-->thailand and im doing my review.

For landscape photography use a wide angle zoom lens like 10-24mm or 12-24mm

You can also use 18-55mm, and dont forget to bring your tripod they said that there is a place in Cambodia where photographers go to shoot for sunrise/sunset...

For filters, im thinking of buying SQUARE Filters only...[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by melo garces; 04-25-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha, glad it did.
    Seriously, more amazing the shot, the more difficult it is just to get there. I have been to many islands in the Philippines and is quite hard to get amazing shots that no one or few has done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Ong View Post
    @adrian, The first picture in the link you sent is so funny.

I might bring my 10-22. I wonder if should bring my tamron 17-50 2.8 or a 70-200 (thinking of purchasing one)? I'm hoping to bring just one additional lens. Im also checking out pictures or Angkor wat, still can't decide what to bring.

Post Thanks / Like

@Melo, I'd really appreciate it if you send links to the posts you mention. I did a search and found some posts about angkor, but no concrete tips on what to bring, how to shoot. I got a tip though not to change lens because of dust.

yes, Cebu Pacific offers a new route direct to Siem Reap, and it's on sale (but i think it's until today only).