If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: film scanner

Post Thanks / Like

Question film scanner

Hi guys,
    i'd like to know whats the best cost effective scanner for film, as the dedicated film scanners by nikon or minolta are so expensive..

Will the Epson flatbed scanners with film adaptors produce a quality output for hi res/large format printing? Are there other alternatives? thanks..

Post Thanks / Like
    We use the Epson 4990 but had to handcarry it from Bangkok since the model was not supported here. We have a review of the new Epson V700 in our Issue 02 and are trying to convince Epson to import at least a few models. I'd buy one for sure.

Back to your question. I would recommend the Epsons from experience. You won't need a 4990 or better to get decent scans. But note that I say decent. Scanning is an art form altogether and I have never been totally satisfied with what we get from the scanner scanning negs as compared to a straight digital capture. I personally feel that flatbeds are really made for reflectives and not transmissives like film negatives. You may want to explore Drum Scanning from Studio 58 if you don't plan to scan much. At least there you are assured of the resolution. If you are not happy with the scan quality, have them do it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks nick, tried nga a negative on an epson 2540 but you're right really didnt like the capture..

Actually its for a negative from mamiya 645 120 film. I agree about the quality of a straight digital capture but for a medium format digital back!! Wow its so expensive for a small studio..Unless theres one for rent here like abroad which is still out of reach

havent tried a drum scan or a nikon film scanner though ive seen the output it looks great naman..
    il also look into the Epson V700 as you said..
    Would you have the contact details of Studio58?

Post Thanks / Like
    epson used their perfection scanners with built in film scanning capability to scan negatives in various sizes to output jun de leon's and xander angeles' images to 44x60 years back in that huge back to back exhibit in glorietta..

Post Thanks / Like

Kodak RFS 3600 Film Scanner

Anyone else here uses the Kodak RFS 3600 Film Scanner?

Bong
    "How come you always load your Pentax
    When I'm in the nude?"
    (Popsicle Toes - Michael Franks)

BONG.UNI.CC | PENTAX PHOTO GALLERY | FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like

Blast from the Past!

Quote Originally Posted by bongmanayon
    Anyone else here uses the Kodak RFS 3600 Film Scanner?

Bong
    Hi Bong,

I've always wanted one - even if they say it takes 60 secs (or more) to get a decent scan from a neg. Did you buy yours new? From Digipower, perhaps?

Edwin

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure, but isn't this the film scanner that DPI uses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Hermoso
    Hi Bong,

I've always wanted one - even if they say it takes 60 secs (or more) to get a decent scan from a neg. Did you buy yours new? From Digipower, perhaps?

Edwin
    Better, I got mine from Kodak themselves. They usually have this year end tiangge sale of used/surplus stuff. Got this really cheap (PM me to know the price) without power adapter or manuals. Yes, it takes a long time to scan with this, more than 60 secs. It took me a while to actually use it because it uses a high amp adapter not the kind you buy at True Value or places like those. I found the matching adapter from an old notebook in HMR.

Bong
    When I'm in the nude?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Avila
    I'm not sure, but isn't this the film scanner that DPI uses?
    I don't think so, although I haven't seen the one DPI has. The 3600 looks like this. My Kodak contact told me that they had trouble selling the RFS 3600 because it was too slow for commercial purposes and that they had a faster model that they push. The only time I ever saw one of the faster model was in Kodak Photo Express (the one in Greenbelt 1) when they were still outside facing GB2.

Kodak was hoping to sell the 3600 to pro photographers but was a little late since a lot of pros shifted to digital thus the surplus.

Bong
    When I'm in the nude?"

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has any experience/tips with this scanner. Although I had mine for quite a while, it has only been recently that I got to put it through its paces (power supply issues etc.). Thus far, all I can say it that its slow but gives a greater than an 8 mega pixel scan. I scan for 8x12 which gives me a file with dimensions of 3596x2401 pixels. I haven't tried scanning it for anything larger.

Its an upgrade for me, since I retired my Nikon Coolscan II which I got when my computer was still on Windows 95. That only gave me something like a 3mp photo.

Bong
    When I'm in the nude?"