If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Post Thanks / Like

Multifunction Printer vs Single Function Scanner

I tried looking for online resources in various sites but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. Please have it moved to the right thread if this is not the appropriate one.

I am currently working on a small budget for scanning. So far, what I have seen that fits my budget is the Canon LIDE 110. The cost difference however of the nearest multi-function printer is less than 500 pesos so it seems like it's more practical to get the multi-function printer - for a small price difference, you get a printer on top of the scanning needs. I am currently considering Canon's cheapest MP287 and the cheapest wifi-enabled printer MG3170. In terms of scanning capability, is there a significant difference between a single function with that of the two mentioned multi-function devices?
    Ang buhay ay parang inidoro, minsan ikaw ay barado.

miss, are you a canon? coz you delight me always.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multifunction Printer vs Single Function Scanner

i have both the MP495 and the canoscan lide 100. the dedicated scanner has an edge in terms of output quality and speed, although it is hard to quantify exactly, but i find the results (in my subjective opinion) better and the speed difference is noticeable too. another advantage is the bed itself in the canoscan lide, it is bigger allowing you to scan bigger items. as for the MP495, its advantage is convenience since after you scan, you can reprint directly, sort of like a copier function which is what i mainly use it for aside from printing and the wifi convenience is cool too. if you will be scanning prints, i guess a dedicated scanner is the way to go but if for general purpose scanning, you might be better off choosing the multifunction printer for more convenience and features. my opinions are based on experience lets wait for the experts to chime in

Post Thanks / Like

It actually boils down on your scanning requirements (e.g. speed, quality, noise, power consumption). If you are scanning printed images or photos, I think (and this is my personal opinion only) dedicated scanner should perform better in at least one of the criteria above. This is arguable though, since low-end dedicated scanners and multi-function, all-in-one printers can have similar scanning capabilities. So, if quality is of great concern, getting a mid-range to high-end dedicated scanner should well fit.
    If life gives you LEMONS, go out and buy TEQUILA.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

My primary purpose actually of getting a scanner is that I need to scan some pictures from the 40s-60s before they fade away. If I'm going to shop that just scans, it might cost me a lot since I am targetting 100+ photos to be scanned. While I think the single function scanner would suffice for my needs, I don't see using it that often hence it would become another has been in my room after performing its function. On the other hand, should I get a multi-function printer, I am not printing that much as well so I am kinda in a dilemma on which one to pickup. Quality over Versatility.
    Ang buhay ay parang inidoro, minsan ikaw ay barado.

miss, are you a canon? coz you delight me always.