If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strobist attempt

Hair light and rim light was greatly executed.. I just want catch light on model's eyes. that's the first thing that I notice.
    Generally, image was great ! keep it up !

Post Thanks / Like

love this picture and how you posed the model.. the thing that stood out for me was the right eye of the model.. for me she looked liked she only had 1 good eye.. personally im a bit meticulous about eyes.. especially when i shoot models/persons.. overall o love the pic though.. that is the only comment i can make on this particular picture.. good job and keep on shooting..

Post Thanks / Like

just to supplement what the masters have already said (i am no master), i see some banding on the black background, and on parts of the models face.. this is most probably due to the blurring used and if this is an 8bit image file. i also agree with sir karlo that you might as well remove the part of the BG that is not black as it only become's a distraction at this point.

also i am seeing shifts in the hue and saturation of the skin tone throughout the model's body--with the face and upper left portions beeing the fairest.. and then seeing more reds towards the right and lower part of the body. the way this scene is lit, called chiaroscuro by painters--and more recently, Rembrandt lighting by photographers and cinematographers--does not really lend itself well to full frontals like this one; most of the Rembrandts i see with this kind of lighting has the body of the models positioned at an angle, even if it is only so slight for some..

lastly, because of the way the tones, especially in the skin as i mentioned earlier, play themselves out.. a good BW or sepia treatment might be just what this image needs in order to make it more appealing and to remove the distracting color shifts and simply make those more reddish saturated and darker hued areas more part of "shadow detail" or something like that.. i leave the proper technical terminology to the masters..

anyway, hope this helps
    keep on posting
    cheers, manong!
    Where's the sense in owning a DSLR if you're simply going to POINT AND SHOOT anyway??

https://www.facebook.com/khaii13

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithcidphotographia/

Post Thanks / Like

Good shot, but I couldn't help but notice a great contrast of light and shadow on her right cheek. I'm not an strobist but I've seen great portrait shots and the stunning part of which is a well balanced light dropping most especially on the face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ron

Just a piece of advice, a one light set up for this model is good already..need not to use a lot of lights...a softbox or a beauty dish will do and a help from a reflector will definitely correct the dark areas from the right side part of the subject. Always remember not to forget catch lights when shooting your subjects whether its portrait or fashion, indoor or outdoor...i suggest it would be better if the other bare flash is standing behind the subject that would create a good effect on her...

Also, try to minimize post processing...play with the light always...
    When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls! ~Ted Grant

Nikon D7000
    Lens: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm F/2.8G ED / AF-S Nikkor 85mm F/1.4G / AF-S Nikkor 50mm F/1.4G

FB page:http://www.facebook.com/ParallaxFotografia

Flickr account:http://www.flickr.com/photos/chassaignac/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You need more power! I mean LIGHT! Understand the light, play with it.