If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Thread: C&C another try

Post Thanks / Like

C&C another try

down with the flu and nothing else to do but dig into the may shoot in ambient and see any usable shot and stumbled upon this:
    Sony Alpha/A33 + 18-55F3.4-5.6
    Focal Length : 55mm
    Apperture : f5.6
    Shutter Speed: 1/100
    ISO : 400

so, another one for the chopping block!
    Hope to hear from you guys on more improvements.
    Where's the sense in owning a DSLR if you're simply going to POINT AND SHOOT anyway??

https://www.facebook.com/khaii13

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithcidphotographia/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: C&C another try

So far so good, details are there and it was defined well...am i looking the reflections of an octagonal box on her eyes?..thanks for sharing!
    Nikon D40, Nikkor AF-s70-300mm f/4 VR, Nikkor AF-s18-135mm, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 105mm f/2.8Macro, Nikkor 2-SB900 1-SB600, Nikon D700, MB-10, AF-s 70-200G VR f/2.8, Nikon D80 AF-s 17-55 f/2.8G.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samartino Martini View Post
    So far so good, details are there and it was defined well...am i looking the reflections of an octagonal box on her eyes?..thanks for sharing!

Thanks...
    and nope, i think the effect was due to my D&Bing of her eyes (she's wearing contacts).. and this was shot using ambient so there was no octa-box used, just a silver reflector...
    In this one, i really tried to leave no traces of the retouch i did as well.. hehe
    and i am hoping to get more feedback, especially if i got the skin tone to somewhere believable this time... i do a blow by blow posting to get feedback and see if i\m training my eyes towards the right direction...so thanks for your input and all those to come.
    shot in JPEG BTW

PS i think i forgot to do some capture/after sharpening to increase local contrast on the eyes, AGAIN lol
    Last edited by Kaizan C. Caleon; 06-30-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    Where's the sense in owning a DSLR if you're simply going to POINT AND SHOOT anyway??

Post Thanks / Like

You can see a distinct line from her left eye leading to her cheeks while the right eye has none.

Might as well remove the other line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is ok, but easy on the sharpening. The eyes starts to pop out like it was not part of her face. When the model do her make up, tell her to do the neck as well just to even out the tone of the skin. Easy also with the lip gloss. I don't know what causing this but the cheek bones seem not symetrical. Was she wearing false eyelashes? Perhaps Mascara will do, on close up it just look odd and unnatural. Good picture though.
    Do I have to itemized my gear? Just believe that I have most what I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JC_Redd View Post
    You can see a distinct line from her left eye leading to her cheeks while the right eye has none.

Might as well remove the other line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Yu View Post
    This is ok, but easy on the sharpening. The eyes starts to pop out like it was not part of her face. When the model do her make up, tell her to do the neck as well just to even out the tone of the skin. Easy also with the lip gloss. I don't know what causing this but the cheek bones seem not symetrical. Was she wearing false eyelashes? Perhaps Mascara will do, on close up it just look odd and unnatural. Good picture though.

thanks a lot for noticing these things that i did not.. i think the uneven cheek bone structure is due to my attempt at unifying the skin hue and saturation levels and my attempts at carving (macro D&B using 2 curve layers, painting white on a black mask)..
    i am hoping to arrange another shoot with friends soon as i am free of the flu and will definitely apply your suggestions, especially when it comes to makeup, and stuff like that... will save me a lot of PP time if i got the make-up correct than if i had to correct them myself in PS, since IDK a thing about makeup

thanks for the input and keep them coming... cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizan C. Caleon View Post
    thanks a lot for noticing these things that i did not.. i think the uneven cheek bone structure is due to my attempt at unifying the skin hue and saturation levels and my attempts at carving (macro D&B using 2 curve layers, painting white on a black mask)..
    i am hoping to arrange another shoot with friends soon as i am free of the flu and will definitely apply your suggestions, especially when it comes to makeup, and stuff like that... will save me a lot of PP time if i got the make-up correct than if i had to correct them myself in PS, since IDK a thing about makeup

thanks for the input and keep them coming... cheers!
    No worries here, you will get the hang of make ups once you get to see more. I see makeups everyday because my wife apply some daily. LOL. If the model is "Morena", try not to have her lighten her face too much by using too much foundation and too off her skin tone to make her look Fair, because close ups will show that it is fake. Makeup is used to bring out or enhance what is already beautiful, what make up can not do we can do so with Photoshop. Before there was a make up made for local cinema called and manufactured by Cinema Secrets, but I am not sure if it is still available however there are ones that made by Revlon called "Photo Ready". Haven't had my wife test that one yet.

Generally any makeup will do, just use them sparingly but evenly. If you will do themed shoots like the one you just had and posted here, the gloss on the lips will look odd, because there was no makeup back the days of Christ if you were depicting "Madonna" and gloss on the lips will ruin the illusion. If it was say Circa 1900s- 1950s, then scarlet red lipstick would be appropriate somehow because it was already available by that time. And even if there wasn't, who would care since pictures then were Black & White and/or Sepia.

The contact lens also would have been better without, wouldn't it be great to see her true eye shade? She is beautiful, there could be some imperfections but that is what makes her unique. Don't have her stare at the lens, have her look at the lens. Smile with the eyes. Photography wise it is good. This is to jump start your modelling, look for Marie DuPrie's videos on the internet, this will be very helpful.
    Do I have to itemized my gear? Just believe that I have most what I need.