If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

skin retouch/softening?

Hi, uh, newb here in post-processing T____T

how does one "smoothen" skin in PS? I mean, to get that nice look without making the skin look like plastic.

here's a sample of a 100% crop:

I know I should google but somehow they all look so complicated... I tried smudging and layering with screen+gaussian blur in PS but it doesn't look great all the time any idea how to do this in a more simpler way?

thanks in advance!
    "The only verdict is vengeance, a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous" - V

Post Thanks / Like

Re: skin retouch/softening?

Try to google "calvin hollywood's skin retouching technique." His method seems to be easy and fast if you are in a tight schedule. Imagenomics' Portraiture software is a very good one to acquire if you want a very realistic skin retouching procedure and you have good clients who would pay for your services. Just some suggestions to ponder.

A quick example using Calvin Hollywood's technique if you may: Hope I did not offend you on the edit.

Last edited by WillieBautista; 06-17-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Can this technique also be applied in lightroom?

Post Thanks / Like

It's an other option of skin retouching face model....thanks!. its informative to our fellow members to have an idea how to retouch the face of their model.
    Nikon D40, Nikkor AF-s70-300mm f/4 VR, Nikkor AF-s18-135mm, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 105mm f/2.8Macro, Nikkor 2-SB900 1-SB600, Nikon D700, MB-10, AF-s 70-200G VR f/2.8, Nikon D80 AF-s 17-55 f/2.8G.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillieBautista View Post
    Try to google "calvin hollywood's skin retouching technique." His method seems to be easy and fast if you are in a tight schedule. Imagenomics' Portraiture software is a very good one to acquire if you want a very realistic skin retouching procedure and you have good clients who would pay for your services. Just some suggestions to ponder.

A quick example using Calvin Hollywood's technique if you may: Hope I did not offend you on the edit.
    Holy smokes! Nice touch there. Thank you for the tip sir, I'll look up Calvin Hollywood. Thank you very much for the suggestion, as I know there are many good examples out there, but pinning down names isn't easy (especially when one has a "preferred" look), thanks!
    "The only verdict is vengeance, a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous" - V

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Darwin Bulatao View Post
    Can this technique also be applied in lightroom?
    I must say it is not possible because you will use layers and adjustment layers to work on his skin retouching technique, something that is not offered in LR as far as I know. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

that is amazing....

DPP Ambassador/Administrator Nigel Ian Laxamana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There's already a similar thread to this one. But the difference is, the other thread creator shared his image and let everyone to do their pp and shared their workflow. My comment on this is that I think it was oversharpened. You may see the effect of the Gaussian Blur but I think it was sharpened after that.

Let's wait for Nick Tuason to comment on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Nigel with the retouched photo being over sharpened. And the skin texture looks artificial. I know some photographer who use texturizer in photoshop to add a skin-like texture that is cleaner but with this photo, I can't really be sure.

If you want to learn how to retouch skin effectively, you must learn what every tool in photoshop does, because there is no one technique that can cover all. I personally use my own actions but I don't use plug-ins.

Post Thanks / Like

Sharing my workflow.

First,I'll identify the problem spots. These are the blemishes to be retouched. Usually I leave alone moles and other permanent scars depending on the subject. I only take out the temporary blemishes.