If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Post Thanks / Like

Improve laptop performance

I currently own a Lenova Ideapad. I bought it 2 years ago with following specs.

Core I5 2.53 mhz
    4 gb RAM (2 gb + 2 gb)
    500 gb Hard disk
    NVIDIA geforce310 video card
    Windows 7 64-bit OS

I notice when I work with large RAW files in photoshop cs4 it slows down. there seems to be a lag when I'm using healing brush tool, blur, dodge etc. If I'm not working with raw files changes made on the image are smooth.

What should be the correct hardware / software for optimum performance in photoshop or any other photo editing software for retouching RAW files?

Thanks in advance.
    Carpe diem - Seize the Day!

I always thought good photos were like good jokes. If you have to explain it, it just isn’t that good. – Anonymous

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Improve laptop performance

you may already have checked the net for the minimum requirements for photoshop 4 but here it is..
    • 1.8GHz or faster processor
    • Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1(certified for 32-bit Windows XP and 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista)
    • 512 MB RAM (1GB of RAM or more recommended)*
    • 1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on flash-based storage devices)
    • 1,024x768 display (1,280x800 recommended) with 16-bit or greater video card
    • DVD-ROM drive
    • Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
    • QuickTime 7.2 required for multimedia features
    • Broadband Internet connection required for online services

I am also using a laptop with almost same specs but in an acer laptop... and im using cs5... and also experiencing the same problem...
    but i am not using all the time, so its not a big concern for me..
    upgrading the memory would be my first choice if i really want to solve this issue since its the fastest/cheapest way to improve any computer system performance but i havent tried it yet..

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also having the same problem. I'm using a Z470 core i5 2.3Ghz with 8gb ram. and a 1gb video card. Same problem with the healing/cloning tool in LR3. The ND filter in LR3 also takes lag time for RAW files.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Darwin Bulatao View Post
    I'm also having the same problem. I'm using a Z470 core i5 2.3Ghz with 8gb ram. and a 1gb video card. Same problem with the healing/cloning tool in LR3. The ND filter in LR3 also takes lag time for RAW files.
    Apparently, 8gb of RAM and 1gb video card is not enough to attain silky smooth photo editing.

I always thought good photos were like good jokes. If you have to explain it, it just isn’t that good. – Anonymous

Post Thanks / Like

i have lenovo ideapad y570 and works flawless in CS5, i even tried converting and editing a raw file from a digital medium format camera and still works flawless.

specs: core I7 2.2ghz up to 3.2
    8gb ram
    windows 7 64bit
    2gb nvidia geforce gt555 gddr5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDenver View Post
    Apparently, 8gb of RAM and 1gb video card is not enough to attain silky smooth photo editing.
    4GB RAM should be enough

its probably the processor thats causing the minimal lag .. specially when working with big RAW files

like so ↓

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Rosario View Post
    i have lenovo ideapad y570 and works flawless in CS5, i even tried converting and editing a raw file from a digital medium format camera and still works flawless.

8gb ram
    windows 7 64bit
    cause the i7 is sort of an 8 core (4core 8threads) vs an i5 (4core 4 threads)/(2core 4threads)

Post Thanks / Like

it just might be me but my core 2 duo (its an older model than the "i" series) 4 gig ram and only 512 video memory works smooth running Photoshop cs5.1, premiere pro cs5 on a macbook pro 13".

i dont know if its the os itself, but i really does run smooth.

i came from a windows 7 laptop and really noticed the difference.
    nikon shooter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Rosario View Post

8gb ram
    windows 7 64bit
    Thanks for the share. I'll keep this in mind when I purchase a new laptop.