If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A dslr newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A dslr newbie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPascua View Post
    Thanks ryan... Those are nice choice of cameras but I prefer canon. Am i in the right path for choosing canon? I had already the Powershot sx30 and t3i in the house. So far I'm really satisfied with it. Actually I already had some choices. These are 7d, 5d mark ii, and 5d mark iii. I am also looking forward for the 1d mark iv but i believe that camera is mostly for action such as games? Pardon my ignorance if im wrong
    If you really have money to burn in spite of the lack of faculty then by all means go for FX camera, especially if you are looking forward to be a career professional in photography be it Canon or Nikon they are both trusted brands for decades. Just remember to choose your system carefully, since it will be costly to change between systems in the middle of your gear collection. FX cameras run at about 200,000 to 250,000 shutter actuations, some models are better for sports, some are better for portraiture, they are not all the same. But one thing is for sure, FX cameras can register most whites of white and most blacks of black than APS-C cameras, and they can work at very high ISO with minimal Image Noise than the latter.
    Do I have to itemized my gear? Just believe that I have most what I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenz Wilfred Carlos View Post
    you've been pretty helpful guys, does a speedlight depreciate its overall performance like a DSLR or can it withstand use, since i'm planning to buy a 3 year old speedlight already. Does anyone have a 430 EX II that wants to sell. PM me I'm from pasig
    Like most electronic items, they do depreciate in value because they are used and sometimes abused. Find out how much will it cost to repair a used speedlight, say having a bulb change, factor that for a possible repair cost versus buying yourself a brand new speedlight. How often do you use a flash? If it will be very seldom, then I think you will be better off with Nissin Di 622 Mark II or Di866 Mark II, they do not cost much though they can not do Hyper Sync for daylight fill flash, they will be very good for most indoor use. They do not have the bells and whistles of high end flash but these special features also come also with a price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JadeGonzales View Post
    Hi, since you have the budget, the 7D in my opinion is the better choice. 7D is compatible in most lenses (EF or EF-S). Donít get me wrong, the 7D and the 5D's both of these cameras are excellent in their own range, but for me I would go for the 7D for starter. Also buy only the body, youíll save at least some money and it is wiser to buy separate lenses. And as for the lenses, for that budget you can have a descent and powerful set of lenses that is less expensive. Here are some lenses you might want to consider:
    1. Portrait Lens
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    and/or
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    4. Wide Angle Zoom Lens
    Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX
    5. Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
    And try to get other important accessories like the battery grip, speedlights, extra batteries, etc. as you go along.
    And try to attend photography classes to gain more knowledge.
    Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Thanx jade. I'm wondering why most of the suggestions are the going into the older models
    ?. Are'nt they were like cellphones? I mean most of us go for the newer models for cellphoes isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken, the 7D was released in 2009, but until now this camera is highly recommended and more popular than the 5D's. Cellphones technology is far different from cameras, unlike cameras, cellphones are stand-alone gadget, what I mean is, it works as it is, its just upgrading the softwares etc. and cameras are built to last for many years, and the reason why cameras are very powerful is because of the lenses, Cameras are also categorized in different levels, there are point and shoot cameras, entry level cameras up to the pro ones, did you noticed that frequent updates and changing in models only comes in point and shoot cameras, this is because like cellphones these types of cameras are very affordable, unlike the DSLR's which is very expensive. We are taking pictures of people and places around us, the art is already there, you don't need technology to find it you just let your skill do the work. If you got a descent camera (entry level or pro) and with a good type of lenses, you can achieve great pictures. Technology has nothing to do with it e.g. (old school cameras (film) can also do a great job even to this day). Its your passion, dedication, and technique that matters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPascua View Post
    The t3i is my brother's camera anthony. I can use it but not that much. I just looked into the nikon's d 800. My jaw dropped in my comp desk when i saw the pixels of it. Thanx for ryan for suggesting that camera. Thanx for you too anthony for suggesting to save for money. But i think its better this way rather than to spend in another boutique guitar "again " which im also into. My wifey says GAS for guitars is over. I can make more money in the camera rather than guitar
    Do you really need a high pixel? for wedding and portrait you won't be needing over 12MP unless your going to print a large billboard for a building and things like that. like the majority of the suggestions here start from a beginner to average class camera and go from there if you upgrade on your body your previous body will become your backup camera. by then you wont be spending a whooopppping cash and also on the lens. as far as i could remember a friend who is now a pro started by this business by purchasing a second hand camera and work his way up with good lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Chiong View Post
    Do you really need a high pixel? for wedding and portrait you won't be needing over 12MP unless your going to print a large billboard for a building and things like that. like the majority of the suggestions here start from a beginner to average class camera and go from there if you upgrade on your body your previous body will become your backup camera. by then you wont be spending a whooopppping cash and also on the lens. as far as i could remember a friend who is now a pro started by this business by purchasing a second hand camera and work his way up with good lens
    Just a point of thought, the Royal Photographers during the wedding of Duchess Kate to Prince William used a $45,000 body only Hasselblad H4D-200MS which have 200 Megapixel. If they can use Canon or Nikon with less than 12MP that could have save them a ton of tax money. You see, I agree that MP is not all is there is and certainly blowing up to billboard size is the only catch in using higher megapixel and the sales pitch to buy such. Sometimes the definition, dynamic range, also matters like say standard definition TV to LED TV and Betamax to Blueray.

Certainly it is not that only thing you need, can work basics of basic camera but it depends of what kind of photographer and how deep your pocket is. If you get paid say $3000 even $7000 / wedding event, certainly you can't be expected to use Entry Level and Mid Range cameras. Camera can be a status symbol also as to what level or degree of mastery or expertise one have...if use this way to boost your credibility just be sure you have some awesome pictures to show for.

hasselbladusa.com/products/h-system/h4d-200ms.aspx
    Last edited by Nelson Yu; 06-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i fully agree with equipment being status symbols...along with the skill level backing it up.
    it would be such a shame to see someone use a leica take the most bland photos (cause full auto settings isnt an option)
    or someone with a 1dx keep it at a full auto setting.

not unless the user know the full capabilities of the camera will it really matter what is being used.. beside the status quo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raf.lopez View Post
    i fully agree with equipment being status symbols...along with the skill level backing it up.
    it would be such a shame to see someone use a leica take the most bland photos (cause full auto settings isnt an option)
    or someone with a 1dx keep it at a full auto setting.

not unless the user know the full capabilities of the camera will it really matter what is being used.. beside the status quo
    We can all learn. I believe matutunan kung pano ma maximize yong potential ng camera. This is the reason why I joined these forum . Para matutu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Yu View Post
    I think you are clueless as to what you are getting yourself in to. LOL. To be a professional photographer the very basic is mastery of skill and it is not Program Mode or Auto Mode. If you will do photography professionally, you have to know the ins and outs first not just money. Assuming you have the skill. You will need at least 2 camera bodies, APS-C or FX depends on your budget. You will need more than a kit lens, like 85mm, 105mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm with at least f/2.8 to allow indoor shooting. At least two speedlights, memory cards and a second shooter or photographer's assistant. You will also need lightstand, Softbox/Umbrella, and would probably need Light Meter, and Reflector.

Now as you start to collect these equipments, you have to make Photographer's Proof Portfolio, know suppliers, event organizers and coordinators, groups like Wedding and Portrait Photographer's of the Philippines (WPPP) and apply for membership. These will boost your credibility. Start becoming a second shooter first, during wedding the bride and groom rely on you, should you freeze or your equipment die on you...you will need a very good lawyer. LOL. No kidding, because these types of events can not be repeated.

Other photographers and shutter junkies will shadow your every move because they will be your clients friends and relatives, certainly your pictures should be better than what they can shoot with their cameras, because you are the professional. Should all these deter you from being Pro, No. If other can you can as well, just be ready and proficient and be Pro like. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO just buy which ever you like most, have a try on both cameras and look into their features. you may not need all those features now, you may be a newbie and cannot use it on 100% yet, but you will learn in the process of using it.

it is ok to buy the most expensive if you have the money, be it entry level or super professional - because you can always learn to use it and master all of its functions, unless you just want a camera and wont be removing the dial on that green square / icon

so go 5D III you have the money, it will be your camera, and its also up to you to learn and grow in this industry - be it professional work or just casual shooting using a FX (who cares anyway if you just shoot casual shots and family using FX, its your money that you spent to buy it not everyone else)