If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Choosing UV filter

hi masters am newbie here and wanted to get a Uv filter. If i want to shoot outdoor portraits waht filter should i use?
    Also there are sizes, how would i know which size do i need?

I'am using a D90 with kit lens 18-105vr
    can anybody help me pls also need some inputs in choosing a filter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Choosing UV filter

UV Filter is a must in every lens whether you shoot indoor or outdoor. It has a minimal effect actually shooting outdoor plus you can do adjustment on post processing. However, it is a must because its major purpose is to protect the lens.
    You can buy any brand you want. (I just dont recommend the CD-R King brand since they are not actually into camera accessories.)

You can see the filter thread size of your lens at the back of the lens cap. in your case, 18-105mm, i guess its 67mm filter thread size.
    Nikon D5100
    Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
    Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.8G

YN 465 Speedlite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jezrel Encarnado View Post
    hi masters am newbie here and wanted to get a Uv filter. If i want to shoot outdoor portraits waht filter should i use?
    Also there are sizes, how would i know which size do i need?

I'am using a D90 with kit lens 18-105vr
    can anybody help me pls also need some inputs in choosing a filter

There are people who would argue that you do not need a UV filter since the front element is hard enough. Basically the only purpose now for a UV filter is for added protection for the front element of the lens. Brands like B+W, Hoya, Kenko are recommended. You can check your lens for the size of the filter needed.

I don't recommend using cheaper UV filters since it sometimes adds unwanted glare/flare and significantly degrades image quality. On extreme cases, it causes the image to be soft due to misfocus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benedictlaig View Post
    There are people who would argue that you do not need a UV filter since the front element is hard enough. Basically the only purpose now for a UV filter is for added protection for the front element of the lens. Brands like B+W, Hoya, Kenko are recommended. You can check your lens for the size of the filter needed.

I don't recommend using cheaper UV filters since it sometimes adds unwanted glare/flare and significantly degrades image quality. On extreme cases, it causes the image to be soft due to misfocus.

Quote Originally Posted by NehemiahBanayos View Post
    UV Filter is a must in every lens whether you shoot indoor or outdoor. It has a minimal effect actually shooting outdoor plus you can do adjustment on post processing. However, it is a must because its major purpose is to protect the lens.
    You can buy any brand you want. (I just dont recommend the CD-R King brand since they are not actually into camera accessories.)

You can see the filter thread size of your lens at the back of the lens cap. in your case, 18-105mm, i guess its 67mm filter thread size.
    Sir salamt po sa inyo inputs it is greatly appreciated by a newbie like me

Post Thanks / Like

i'm using nisi brand i think this is the sister company of hoya??? bought this at henry's G5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a matter of personal choice than an industry standard. I have UV Filters and they are attached to my dry box who always stays at home.
    Do I have to itemized my gear? Just believe that I have most what I need.

Post Thanks / Like

based on my experience. it really served as a protection and i encounter one incident last january. During a trip, i bought my Nikkor 70-300mm. My friend was the one holding it and suddenly fell when she was about to step don in the car. as i checked the UV filter had some scratch around the rim (its still usable though). And the lens, it still works fine. Its worth to replace a Php450 UV Filter than to buy another lens.
    Nikon D5100
    Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
    Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.8G

YN 465 Speedlite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like what others are saying, I am using UV filter primarily to protect the lens. Inexpensive ones are the likes of Hoya, Tokina, and Kenko. Price also varies depending on the filter size (the thread size imprinted on the lens). There's also this expensive B+W brand (German brand) that is extremely clear glass rendering no filter effect at all in your lenses, just for pure lens protection . I'm only using this B+W brand on those pricier lenses so that the high optics/image quality that these lenses have will not be affected at all. Still, the choice is yours whether to use one or not. But the lens' front element is very fragile, that is why it is really recommended to use one especially to those precious lenses ;)
    Last edited by GerryRobesa; 06-23-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tiffen is also good. Your lens is actually strong enough to withstand dust and things like that, but other elements, like the edges of tables are the ones you should be careful about. Having a filter will be your first line of defense, and it's easier to replace that than the lens itself. Don't get a cheap one though. You'll degrade your image quality. The glass in your lens is designed for sharp images and accurate colours. Having another layer, especially a cheap one can mess with that. HTH.
    Appreciate God's beauty through the viewfinder.=)

Post Thanks / Like

I usually stick with Kenko Pro1D UV filters I find its prices just about right