If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Thread: C&C Portrait

Post Thanks / Like

C&C Portrait

My second attempt to starting a thread...

Pic 1

Pic 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: C&C Portrait

Hi JC,

First off is you need to improve your focusing skills, and when taking portraits, you need to get the eyes tact sharp. Don't depend on the camera's autofocus function. Make focusing a part of your workflow. Zoom lens are usually partly to blame because at their shortest focal length, aperture is still small enough to get a wide band of sharpness, allowing one to get away with autofocusing. But when you start to use primes with an unforgiving DOF, you really need to control where that focus is going to be.

Second is you need to learn to do some post processing - at least, to clean out skin blemishes and fix colour tones. Gimp is a good tool to start with. It's freeware and is powerful enough to do all of the PP'ing.

Third is to study your subject and learn which poses are going to be most flattering for her. This requires a lot of experimentation and here is where looking at professional's work in magazines or paintings will really help a lot. For women, problem areas are usually the arms, thighs and waist. Hide the unflattering and highlight the beautiful. ;) Hope this helps, keep shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

on the first photo, do you have a shot that she is looking at you??? maybe I can compare which is better.....

+1 on Karlo's posts...

keep shooting...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlo Ibarra View Post
    Hi JC,

First off is you need to improve your focusing skills, and when taking portraits, you need to get the eyes tact sharp. Don't depend on the camera's autofocus function. Make focusing a part of your workflow. Zoom lens are usually partly to blame because at their shortest focal length, aperture is still small enough to get a wide band of sharpness, allowing one to get away with autofocusing. But when you start to use primes with an unforgiving DOF, you really need to control where that focus is going to be.

Second is you need to learn to do some post processing - at least, to clean out skin blemishes and fix colour tones. Gimp is a good tool to start with. It's freeware and is powerful enough to do all of the PP'ing.

Third is to study your subject and learn which poses are going to be most flattering for her. This requires a lot of experimentation and here is where looking at professional's work in magazines or paintings will really help a lot. For women, problem areas are usually the arms, thighs and waist. Hide the unflattering and highlight the beautiful. ;) Hope this helps, keep shooting.
    @Karlo -

Thank you for the feedback. With regards to sharpness, I think the picture significantly degraded when I exported it from lightroom 4. I wasn't expecting the picture to be blownout when I inserted the file. I will re-post the picture in a higher resolution.

I used Gimp before but I find it too limiting so I shifted to lightroom 4 for editing exposure, contrast, saturation... and Adobe Photoshop for blemishes, scars, bulges, etc. I was being careful not to overdo the post processing and make the subject appear "doll-like" or too perfect to be realistic. One of my goals in posting my shoot is to gauge my PP if it is too much or lacking.

I'm still working on posing my subject.
    Last edited by JC_Redd; 05-30-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Domingo View Post
    on the first photo, do you have a shot that she is looking at you??? maybe I can compare which is better.....

+1 on Karlo's posts...

keep shooting...

@ Rafer

I have a couple of shots of her looking at me. I'll post it tom.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by JC_Redd; 05-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DPP Member Hugh Laurence Lomarda's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

photo 1 and 2 looks nice

photo #1 have you tried to process it in color?
    I like the framing it really works for her.
    Even though it looks cute and candid her
    squinting might have made the shot less attractive
    photo #2 she posed really well but the slanting door distracts my eyes
    jusy me i am sure its no biggie.
    It is a shame though that her shoulder is sharper than her face.

thank you for sharing and happy shooting!!!
    http://www.lomarda.carbonmade.com
    Canon 600D - BG E8 - 580ex II - 430ex II 2x - Kaiser 3270 - RS Sport 2 - 35mm 1.4 L - 135mm 2.0 L - 200mm 2.8 L II