If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A photoset of some of the photos I took from my first workshop attendance

Quote Originally Posted by bernardayson View Post
    ^ Feathering the reflected light is done during the shoot. It means not focusing/pointing the reflected light directly at the subject to get a more subtle effect.
    thanks for the explanation!
    how is it different from bouncing the light off the ceiling or an adjacent wall?

keep the advices coming! cheers!
    Where's the sense in owning a DSLR if you're simply going to POINT AND SHOOT anyway??

https://www.facebook.com/khaii13

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithcidphotographia/

Post Thanks / Like

^ A reflector gives you more control.
    ReaL men keep promises.

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by bernardayson View Post
    ^ A GOOD reflector gives you more control.
    Now onto the meat and potatoes of my comment-

image 1-
    Great job on the exposure and great job on recovering the detail from outside.
    There's a bright red spot on her eye. I'm pretty sure that it's from the post processing.
    The stucco on the wall outside, seriously distracting and for lack of a better word, unsightly- it looks like a brain. A thinner Depth of field would fix unsightly stucco pretty quick, if you're shooting on a kit lens, I'd suggest zooming in as far as you can and try to compose it the same way. It should give you the same depth of field as a 50mm 1.8 lens.
    The scene outside is also a bit distracting, should've just blown it out.

Image 2-
    Again, great job on the exposure, clean job on the post, their skin seems very natural, but there's too much white in the eyes. And the lighting on the wall seems a bit spotty, it looks like a sloppy burn and dodge job.
    A few nitpicks- the pose. Not sure if it's trying to be sensual or whatever else, but it's not working for me. It's their hands, they've become claw-like. Watch what your models hands do.
    Distractions in the background- the urn, the seemingly fake light behind them, the rip in the leather.

Image 3- same things as the previous images. good exposure, but the posing, and distractions need some work. (dirt/rips in the leather, ugly urns, whatever's happening outside, etc.)
    Her skirt is bunched up in front of her stomach. She looks like she's hiding something up her skirt, adding weight to her frame.
    The crop is also unflattering and detracts from the images majorly. Leaving her feet in the image would've added to the sensuality by making her legs appear longer.
    The light is also unflattering as it brings out some of her eyebags.

Image 4-
    Good stuff. no distractions, decent exposure, and a good pose.
    Stay away from the purple effects when it comes to certain images. In my opinion it doesn't help the image to destroy the skin tones. Also, you've oversharpened the image a bit and there are some JPEG artifacts visible in the eye that's in focus.
    This image would've been perfect had both eyes been in focus and without the trendy purple post processing.
    Would've liked to see more light on her other eye as well.

Image 5-
    again, you almost had it!
    the aforementioned forehead doesn't bother me. Models are models, they're all different, some have longer legs and some have bigger foreheads, this isn't unflattering.
    I like the idea of a veil, I used to bring a veil with me everywhere because of Manny Librodo, but I grew out of it fairly quickly. I can see that this is kinda what you're going for.
    Again with the purple and the oversharpening, more jpeg artifacts around the eyes and the eyebrows. Her lipstick is a bit too bright, serves a disconnect between the viewer and the model. You went a bit too far with the skin smoothing on this one, but not as bad as some of the work I've seen.
    small distractions include inconsistencies in the veil to the left of her eye.
    large distractions include the white of whatever she's wearing below the veil.

Image 6-
    same gripes as the image from before. Oversharpened, oversmoothened, and some small distractions such as the frays in the veil and the hair to the right of her face.
    large distractions include her index finger, just seems very out of place. her lipstick is way too vivid in this image.

image 7-
    her hand looks awful in this image. It's being distorted and squeezed. What's going on with her forehead? there seems to be a line or a hair? some bad post processing above her eye, not sure what's going on there. Just a bit too much saturation and exposure added to her eye. The open door behind her seems a bit distraction as there's some U shaped object there. Skin tones look acceptable in this image.

Image 8-
    a very unflattering pose. look at her right arm, see the bulge and how it's not present in her left?
    her legs are a bit too stripper-ish. Not sure if you were using masks or the sponge tool, but you missed an area to the left of the image. the shadow seems gray while the area above it is perfectly saturated.

here's a quick fix of my favorite image in your set. I hope you don't mind. If you do, I'll gladly remove it.

was this a manny librodo or a banhupte workshop? the veil, the editing, and the reflector work all scream manny librodo jr.
    John Cudal Photography-Blog
    Personal Blog

I'm a wedding Photographer for myself, but I shoot for my clients, not my portfolio.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Lawrence Cudal View Post
    Fixed.

Now onto the meat and potatoes of my comment-

image 1-
    Great job on the exposure and great job on recovering the detail from outside.
    There's a bright red spot on her eye. I'm pretty sure that it's from the post processing.
    The stucco on the wall outside, seriously distracting and for lack of a better word, unsightly- it looks like a brain. A thinner Depth of field would fix unsightly stucco pretty quick, if you're shooting on a kit lens, I'd suggest zooming in as far as you can and try to compose it the same way. It should give you the same depth of field as a 50mm 1.8 lens.
    The scene outside is also a bit distracting, should've just blown it out.

Image 2-
    Again, great job on the exposure, clean job on the post, their skin seems very natural, but there's too much white in the eyes. And the lighting on the wall seems a bit spotty, it looks like a sloppy burn and dodge job.
    A few nitpicks- the pose. Not sure if it's trying to be sensual or whatever else, but it's not working for me. It's their hands, they've become claw-like. Watch what your models hands do.
    Distractions in the background- the urn, the seemingly fake light behind them, the rip in the leather.

Image 3- same things as the previous images. good exposure, but the posing, and distractions need some work. (dirt/rips in the leather, ugly urns, whatever's happening outside, etc.)
    Her skirt is bunched up in front of her stomach. She looks like she's hiding something up her skirt, adding weight to her frame.
    The crop is also unflattering and detracts from the images majorly. Leaving her feet in the image would've added to the sensuality by making her legs appear longer.
    The light is also unflattering as it brings out some of her eyebags.

Image 4-
    Good stuff. no distractions, decent exposure, and a good pose.
    Stay away from the purple effects when it comes to certain images. In my opinion it doesn't help the image to destroy the skin tones. Also, you've oversharpened the image a bit and there are some JPEG artifacts visible in the eye that's in focus.
    This image would've been perfect had both eyes been in focus and without the trendy purple post processing.
    Would've liked to see more light on her other eye as well.

Image 5-
    again, you almost had it!
    the aforementioned forehead doesn't bother me. Models are models, they're all different, some have longer legs and some have bigger foreheads, this isn't unflattering.
    I like the idea of a veil, I used to bring a veil with me everywhere because of Manny Librodo, but I grew out of it fairly quickly. I can see that this is kinda what you're going for.
    Again with the purple and the oversharpening, more jpeg artifacts around the eyes and the eyebrows. Her lipstick is a bit too bright, serves a disconnect between the viewer and the model. You went a bit too far with the skin smoothing on this one, but not as bad as some of the work I've seen.
    small distractions include inconsistencies in the veil to the left of her eye.
    large distractions include the white of whatever she's wearing below the veil.

Image 6-
    same gripes as the image from before. Oversharpened, oversmoothened, and some small distractions such as the frays in the veil and the hair to the right of her face.
    large distractions include her index finger, just seems very out of place. her lipstick is way too vivid in this image.

image 7-
    her hand looks awful in this image. It's being distorted and squeezed. What's going on with her forehead? there seems to be a line or a hair? some bad post processing above her eye, not sure what's going on there. Just a bit too much saturation and exposure added to her eye. The open door behind her seems a bit distraction as there's some U shaped object there. Skin tones look acceptable in this image.

Image 8-
    a very unflattering pose. look at her right arm, see the bulge and how it's not present in her left?
    her legs are a bit too stripper-ish. Not sure if you were using masks or the sponge tool, but you missed an area to the left of the image. the shadow seems gray while the area above it is perfectly saturated.

here's a quick fix of my favorite image in your set. I hope you don't mind. If you do, I'll gladly remove it.

was this a manny librodo or a banhupte workshop? the veil, the editing, and the reflector work all scream manny librodo jr.

Thanks sir John Lawrence! didn't mind you improving on your favourite shot in the set... but i would have to ask for the workflow on how you did it though.. also, i would like to send you the original, unprocessed version of that to gain some insight on what you could do with it, if you have time, of course (getting greedy)

now, as per critique,
    1-yes, that was my pp error... as for the stucco wall, i was shooting wide open at 55mm, thats f5.6... i was thinking of masking it out and blurring it or just over-exposing the bg on post, got lazy... hehehe

2-i told the model on the chair to hold the other model as if she was holding on to her doll, and for the second model to act like an animated doll, this was the best shot in that set, which speaks volumes about my lack of experience in handling models. as for the urn, yeah, that's again my lack of experience, i should have got that removed before the shot... and since i can't effectively clone it out, i added the fake light. as for the chair, again, i simply didn't take the time in cloning it out... i kinda wanted to make it look grungy since its kinda grunge out of cam, but here i think i didn'g go far enough in treating the BG

3-same as above, and the chopped off feet was with me and framing... indeed i need more practice to train my eyes to mind the edge of my frame, thanks for pointing that out. and thanks for noticing the thing about the dress... really, small details do count in making the final impact... i also felt this one was off some way, i just couldn't put my finger in it... at first i thought it was just me, since i wanted to use a book as a hand prop but did not bring it... now i notice what i have not noticed before. thanks!

4, 5, 6_ first, what do you mean by jpeg arteffact? really wanna know... yup oversmoothed, i selected the skin, coppied it, then used SB on it and just lowered the opacity to reintroduce texture... i recently discovered a better way to smooth the skin by digging in to the forum threads, and i am currently experimenting on it... and yeah, i also did go overboard on brightening up the lips... PS-blooddrunk! hehe... afternote: God, it's f5.6 and i can't get both eyes tack sharp.. how much more when i start using a 50mm f1.4or1.8 prime?? and how can you get both eyes sharp if the model is turned a bit sideways? and yeah, i'm starting to grow out of that purple color gradient thingy..

7-went back to my workflow on this one, in one layer i have accidentally pressed applied a white brush, or healing brush, thanks for noticing!

*-again, it was the details that killed me, thanks for pointing out those small things. as for the pose, it again shows my lack of experience in handling models, even though they were pretty nice and very indulgent

no, this is not a librido workshop... i don't think he does workshops in areas outside the metro, or here in nueva ecija.. this one was with Parc Cruz.. and yeah, the style employed here was indeed like librido's

by the way, i reposted this thread in the portraits section because this section seems too slow... you could check out some of the shots i added to the original set i posted here in there:
    http://www.digitalphotographer.com.p...he-Old-Capitol

anyway, thanks for taking time in critiquing me, as all your input helps me grow as a photographer and helps train my eyes to notice things that i usually just don't.... keep 'em coming and God-speed
    Last edited by Kaizan C. Caleon; 06-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Where's the sense in owning a DSLR if you're simply going to POINT AND SHOOT anyway??

Post Thanks / Like

If you're attempting to get a grungy look, use grungy looking models in a grungy location.

All I did in the edited photo is remove your purple shade and warming it up a bit, cleaned up her veil, slightly colored in her white top, and brought out the color in her eyes. nothing more. took like 3 minutes.

Jpeg Artifacts appear when an image has been too sharpened. the pixels become somewhat unsightly and the post processing becomes obvious.

small tip when it comes to workshops. don't shoot other people's poses. try to make it your own in some way. the eye contact being somewhere else on image 3, is very common when I see other people's images during workshops.
    Watch what they're doing, how they're acting towards the model, etc. make the shoot your own.
    I see image number 3 as a test shot on Parc's flickr.
    If I had attended the workshop, I'd change several things instantaneously.
    1. her left hand is a bit unflattering, it looks like she's got four penises sticking out of her skirt. Maybe if she made a fist...
    2. I'd bring her forward on the chair just a bit, so she's sitting at the edge of it. it almost looks like the chair is eating her.
    3. I'd angle her legs differently, this is fine, but it seems kinda like a cheap thrill, it's more of a tease than a seduction. I'd bring one knee down, removing all symmetry in the photo.
    4. Maybe Arch her back some and bring one shoulder behind the other.
    5. turn her face just a little bit toward the light, just so that it looks like she's trying not to look at you.
    6. I'd put a glass of wine or something in her hand, the hand playing with the hair gets overdone and it almost never looks natural, unless it actually is naturally occuring. I may even ask her to put her right elbow on the chair, so she she's leaning forward on it. kinda like what you did in image 2.

last thing.
    when asking for critique, don't try and defend your work. you're still in the learning process, and this can aggravate others who critique quite often. I'm commenting on this because I used to do the exact same thing, it took me a while to learn to take medicine.

eventually the harshness of other people will sink in and become second nature. I used to have a huge problem with trees behind my subject's heads. my close friends kept calling me out on it and now the problem isn't so big anymore, still happens, but much much less.

remember to always have your subject's best interest in mind too. try not too add weight to her, try not to make her pudgy, or do pose her in a way that her fat shows in the image. etc.

for now, maybe stay away from effects on Photoshop. they're not improving your photographs, instead. work on making your work as clean as possible, not by using skin smoothing, but by learning how to pose your models. use the clone too instead of an action to clean skin.

Clean lighting, clean poses, clean backgrounds and foregrounds, and unnoticeable editing. you can go farther with these than you can with replicating someone else's post processing.
    John Cudal Photography-Blog
    Personal Blog

I'm a wedding Photographer for myself, but I shoot for my clients, not my portfolio.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again sir john for the added critique, for the record, i was not defending myself, but rather explaining the details behind the shot so as to get more feedback on the "behind the scenes".. if it appeared that way to you or to anyone else whose valuable feedback has helped me notice things and change the way i look into my shots, i sincerely apologize. again, it was not supposed to be a self defense, as i am the one who asked to be critiqued and was honestly not expecting a pat-on-the-back..
    really need to go practice some mere... i hope there would be another workshop near my area soon...
    Cheers!
    Keep em coming.

Post Thanks / Like

personally, i think the catchlights are too overwhelming that it's not nice to notice anymore.
    a noob with Canon 1000D+Kit lens+50mm f1.8+YN460II+stuff you can see around the house
    my camera's name is June
    double N
    double R

double
    L

Post Thanks / Like

ok, after taking everyone's C&C into account, and finally learning the basics of D&B... i made another try at my favourite image in here:
    hope to hear more C&Cs!

Post Thanks / Like

your tones improved bro...way better than your previous post....

you should also try to liquify her nose....for me it's a bit off...but it is just me bro, if it's fine for you then don't change anymore....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Domingo View Post
    your tones improved bro...way better than your previous post....

you should also try to liquify her nose....for me it's a bit off...but it is just me bro, if it's fine for you then don't change anymore....

thanks a lot, will study proper use of liquify, soon.
    but first, need to learn to D&B, i tried it a bit in that post, but had to stop early on since i was doing more harm than good...
    BTW... guys everywhere...
    which dodge and burn method do you find most useful?
    and as photographers, do you only do micro-level D&B? or only Macro level (carving)? or both? which is more important?
    I have always tried to avoid it, because i find it tedious... But i find that i cant improve my images but still make them look natural and non plasticky without it.

oh, right, and what is the best way to deal with CA on a JPEG?
    to the boss, Admins, apology if i'm kinda off topic in my own thread..
    Last edited by Kaizan C. Caleon; 06-10-2012 at 12:13 AM.