If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DSLR or Bridge Camera?

Hi Archie...my 2 cents worth. I'd tend to agree with Mark. Get a bridge b/c if you become really bitten by the photography bug you'd definitely, eventually succumb to getting better gear, be it a bridge or a dslr. If not then at least you have a bridge that you'd still be happy yo use. But check out some of the posts in the dpp forum. There are a lot of posts w uploaded pics take by p&s and bridge cams and a lot of then are really good!. Like Mark, I suggest a bridge cam with some some bells and whistles. Look for something in the P14k -P18k range. I'm tempted to suggest a brand but it would only show my bias LOL. Then maybe after shooting for a year (or sooner) then you'd know which direction to take.

Happy Hunting

P.S. If you're going to get it from an online seller, get if from trusted ones, there are I think 3 or 4 that have always gotten good reviews. (Meaning they can be trusted) and they're cheaper than mall sold cams. (sometimes a 2k-3k difference) But of course if you get it directly from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus or any authorized distributor...it may cost more but its because of the 2 or 3yr warranties they give. That's 2-3 yrs of peace of mind.
    Last edited by junmillan; 05-21-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by junmillan View Post
    Hi Archie...my 2 cents worth. I'd tend to agree with Mark. Get a bridge b/c if you become really bitten by the photography bug you'd definitely, eventually succumb to getting better gear, be it a bridge or a dslr. If not then at least you have a bridge that you'd still be happy yo use. But check out some of the posts in the dpp forum. There are a lot of posts w uploaded pics take by p&s and bridge cams and a lot of then are really good!. Like Mark, I suggest a bridge cam with some some bells and whistles. Look for something in the P14k -P18k range. I'm tempted to suggest a brand but it would only show my bias LOL. Then maybe after shooting for a year (or sooner) then you'd know which direction to take.

Happy Hunting

P.S. If you're going to get it from an online seller, get if from trusted ones, there are I think 3 or 4 that have always gotten good reviews. (Meaning they can be trusted) and they're cheaper than mall sold cams. (sometimes a 2k-3k difference) But of course if you get it directly from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus or any authorized distributor...it may cost more but its because of the 2 or 3yr warranties they give. That's 2-3 yrs of peace of mind.
    haha..thanks for the reply!i really consider a bridge type..because ive wanted one since i was 1st year..and this school year im gonna graduate..ive gotta sickness now..and my aunt updated me on a camera..she suggested the camera ive mentioned (ge x500) which is about 8k..and the budget now dropped to about 10k..its a nice camera..and its predicessor is the old one ive been wanting to have before (x5)..since im a beginner..would it be alright if my first camera was a bridge with complete auto,manual mode,and a body thats similar with a dlsr feel?come to think of it..i take pictures in school events and family outings..regularly if im bored (if someone lend me a camera),i would practice with it..thanks for the advice!

Before i forget..im just curious..what camera would you like to suggest?

btw..is the ge x500 good enough for a bridge?
    Last edited by Archie Pilar; 05-21-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Fujifilm Bridge cameras are good to start with. I had an HS10 before I switch to DSLR. It has good focal length range from 24-720mm. Also it has a standard hotshoe where you can use manual flashes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcdarwinbulatao View Post
    Fujifilm Bridge cameras are good to start with. I had an HS10 before I switch to DSLR. It has good focal length range from 24-720mm. Also it has a standard hotshoe where you can use manual flashes.
    oh yes..the famous HS10..does it have a image stabilization or something like that?and how much is it worth now a days?and where can i buy it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Pilar View Post
    oh yes..the famous HS10..does it have a image stabilization or something like that?and how much is it worth now a days?and where can i buy it?
    Yup. Sensor shift + high iso. I bought mine last year. Cost me around 14k @ kimstore. Had given to my younger sister for her to study.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, what kind of photography do you like? Are you knowledgeable in post-processing (a.k.a. editing), even the most basic aspects of it? Are you thinking of investing for the future? Why do I ask these? It will be answered below.

Having a bridge camera is like having something that is all-in-one. You have nice zoom (up to 30x zoom in some models 24-720mm focal range), you have P/A/S/M modes which will definitely make you learn a lot about Manual and Semi-manual shooting, and third the price is quite low. However, the con of the bridge camera is the limitations on photo quality and performance. It will be nothing like a DSLR (but sometimes, when you're lucky, it will ). We're talking about entry-level here, so the sensor will be quite small. It will mean more noise on your output especially at high ISO levels (ex. shooting at night). Performance, hmm... it might be a bit slow. But, the point is, if you can accept the limitations of the bridge camera, maybe this is the one for you. Some editing of your output may be required tho.

Next up, the DSLR. Oh, yes, that one fast camera every photography beginner wants (even me!)... well, I won't go into detail about its advantages; even the entry-level models are good. However, let me tell you about the cons. So sure, you already have your shiny new DSLR with a 18-55 kit lens (~3x zoom, around 29-88mm focal range due to cropped sensor)... but would you be satisfied with it? I mean, as you learn you would want to explore other kinds of photography, right? So with a DSLR you would also need some money. Y'know, for lenses and other accessories? Maybe in the future you'll want a longer zoom lens. The Canon 55-250 goes around 10,000 in the gray market. Or maybe you'd like some bokehlicious portraits and invest for a Canon 50 f/1.8 lens? I know, maybe it is not necessarily needed. But at one point, I'm sure you'll get the itch to buy something new. Heck, maybe you'll get dissatisfied with your 1100D and opt for something better someday.

I'm not saying that the bridge cam is the one really for you. I'm not saying that buying the DSLR will make you a better shooter, either. In the end, it is always in the photographer. Me, I'm struggling with a digicam but so far so good. Just be patient and keep on practicing. If your budget is really constrained, then go for the bridge camera. I can suggest you the Fujifilm S4000. It is a good camera, but you have to be a bit patient with its performance. Again, output might need some editing.

Gear:
    Panasonic Lumix DMC FH-25
    Lowepro Pods 30 camera bag
    CD-R King Generic Tripod

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. Sensor shift + high iso. I bought mine last year. Cost me around 14k @ kimstore. Had given to my younger sister for her to study.
    wow..nice!my budget limit dropped to 10k though..if im gonna buy a camera now..it will mostly be a bridge..im really giving though to it

Post Thanks / Like

wow..nice!the price range that i have in my hands is 10k..if im gonna buy at anytime now..it would mostly be a bridge..im really thinking about it though
    Last edited by Archie Pilar; 05-21-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Pilar View Post
    wow..nice!the price range that i have in my hands is 10k..if im gonna buy at anytime now..it would mostly be a bridge..im really thinking about it though
    Hmmm, maybe you can try a fujifilm S1500. has good zoom range, has image stabilization, has PSAM modes. What lacks in that bridge cam are the manual focus ring and the hotshoe and the filter attachment thread from the HS10. I think it's around 5k-7k.
    Last edited by Marc Darwin Bulatao; 05-21-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenledesma View Post
    First of all, what kind of photography do you like? Are you knowledgeable in post-processing (a.k.a. editing), even the most basic aspects of it? Are you thinking of investing for the future? Why do I ask these? It will be answered below.

Having a bridge camera is like having something that is all-in-one. You have nice zoom (up to 30x zoom in some models 24-720mm focal range), you have P/A/S/M modes which will definitely make you learn a lot about Manual and Semi-manual shooting, and third the price is quite low. However, the con of the bridge camera is the limitations on photo quality and performance. It will be nothing like a DSLR (but sometimes, when you're lucky, it will ). We're talking about entry-level here, so the sensor will be quite small. It will mean more noise on your output especially at high ISO levels (ex. shooting at night). Performance, hmm... it might be a bit slow. But, the point is, if you can accept the limitations of the bridge camera, maybe this is the one for you. Some editing of your output may be required tho.

Next up, the DSLR. Oh, yes, that one fast camera every photography beginner wants (even me!)... well, I won't go into detail about its advantages; even the entry-level models are good. However, let me tell you about the cons. So sure, you already have your shiny new DSLR with a 18-55 kit lens (~3x zoom, around 29-88mm focal range due to cropped sensor)... but would you be satisfied with it? I mean, as you learn you would want to explore other kinds of photography, right? So with a DSLR you would also need some money. Y'know, for lenses and other accessories? Maybe in the future you'll want a longer zoom lens. The Canon 55-250 goes around 10,000 in the gray market. Or maybe you'd like some bokehlicious portraits and invest for a Canon 50 f/1.8 lens? I know, maybe it is not necessarily needed. But at one point, I'm sure you'll get the itch to buy something new. Heck, maybe you'll get dissatisfied with your 1100D and opt for something better someday.

I'm not saying that the bridge cam is the one really for you. I'm not saying that buying the DSLR will make you a better shooter, either. In the end, it is always in the photographer. Me, I'm struggling with a digicam but so far so good. Just be patient and keep on practicing. If your budget is really constrained, then go for the bridge camera. I can suggest you the Fujifilm S4000. It is a good camera, but you have to be a bit patient with its performance. Again, output might need some editing.

thanks for the reply!

since you asked..i will answer them

for the first one..i really like landscapes,portraits,and the focus i think?the one with the blurry background ..and i really like photowalks..just walking down the street and taking pictures of anything you find interesting

for the second one..my knowledge to photo editing is very limited..i dont know a lot about it..but i tried editing pics with gimp..so yeah..i can say that i know the basics about it

for the third and last..to be honest..i really dont know if i want to invest or not..many say you can decide easier if you have experienced and have owned a camera..and when the time comes..you would choose on what type of camera would want to have..im just starting out,even though i have experience in many types of cameras..im still a beginner..and i dont have my own camera yet..so..i really cant answer that because i dont know what i want yet..im really confused about it and its bothering me

thanks for the pros and cons on these two types of cameras!

i just want to say that..either one is fine with me..as long as its a camera that i like..

i dont know about the future though..but i do know that i want a camera that i can use to take memories,sceneries,or basically just normal household items that you can take a shot at and make it look like you want it to look..

i agree with the idea "having a camera doesnt make you a photographer..it makes you a camera owner"..i dont want to be a owner..i want to be a photographer..

whether its class photographer,or family photographer,or basically a photographer that takes pictures of anything he finds interesting..

being a photographer is one of my dreams..i dont plan on making it a job..but as a hobby..

in conclusion..any camera is fine..as long as it suits my needs and i can learn from it..im all set..except i have a budget limit and i need a camera..

thanks for the advice and reply!

P.S. what do you think of the ge x500 that i consider buying?can you give me your opinion on it? thanks a lot
    Last edited by Archie Pilar; 05-21-2012 at 11:00 PM.