If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Compact camera - need critiques

Can't afford a DSLR. So please tell me what can I do to improve P&S shots..
    :P Thanksss

More pics in this album http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7084333&type=1

and http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7241929&type=3

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compact camera - need critiques

I've seen P&S photos that easily kick a DSLR user's butt. Heck, I used to do photoshoots using a P&S. We all have to start somewhere so don't be discouraged. Just keep shooting.

1st photo: Not sure what or how you took the photo but it looks like a HDR overkill.
    2nd photo: Learn your P&S' focusing limitations.
    3rd photo: A good portion of the color of the bibingka got washed out by the highlights. It appears more as a distraction
    4th photo: Almost there but a little bit more control on the light that bounces back to the lens.

Cheers
    When did the bow become better than the indian?

Use one camera and one lens but carry a different perspective everytime. (JSJ)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My cameras all have been P&S, its only last year that I got a P&S with manual controls. Your only limitation with it is few, DSLRs are just workhorses but a P&S doesn't prevent good photos.

I'm with Joe's comments above and will add more.
    1. Overdone.
    2. Did you use macro mode on this shot? If yes, there is probably camera shake. Place the camera on the table and use a 2 second shutter delay.
    3. Try a more elevated or top view shot.
    4. Shoot behind the source of light or try shooting on macro mode with forced flash.

By the way, the red texts don't appear sharp. I'm not an expert on text design but we can search some good ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joesanjuan View Post
    I've seen P&S photos that easily kick a DSLR user's butt. Heck, I used to do photoshoots using a P&S. We all have to start somewhere so don't be discouraged. Just keep shooting.

1st photo: Not sure what or how you took the photo but it looks like a HDR overkill.
    2nd photo: Learn your P&S' focusing limitations.
    3rd photo: A good portion of the color of the bibingka got washed out by the highlights. It appears more as a distraction
    4th photo: Almost there but a little bit more control on the light that bounces back to the lens.

Cheers
    Thank you so much sir. On your 2nd comment.. what do you mean by the "focusing limitations"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adrianfernando View Post
    My cameras all have been P&S, its only last year that I got a P&S with manual controls. Your only limitation with it is few, DSLRs are just workhorses but a P&S doesn't prevent good photos.

I'm with Joe's comments above and will add more.
    1. Overdone.
    2. Did you use macro mode on this shot? If yes, there is probably camera shake. Place the camera on the table and use a 2 second shutter delay.
    3. Try a more elevated or top view shot.
    4. Shoot behind the source of light or try shooting on macro mode with forced flash.

By the way, the red texts don't appear sharp. I'm not an expert on text design but we can search some good ideas.

Thanks for the comment sir. I really appreciate these.. Umm sir Joe and sir Adrian, can you please show me your previews captures using P&S? I wanna get more ideas. thank you!

About the red text.. It's because of the reduced quality of the pic when I uploaded it on Facebook, plus the wrong settings on the Drop Shadow effect.

And the overdone 1st pic, I was experimenting in photoshop. hehe

Post Thanks / Like

There's lots of ideas in the internet.

But for now, know your camera and read the manual. You may end up frustrated on figuring out how a shot was made or end up using photoshop heavily than to just simply shoot smart.

Cheers
    When did the bow become better than the indian?

Use one camera and one lens but carry a different perspective everytime. (JSJ)

Post Thanks / Like

I think they have said enough..
    I would just like to add that that 2nd, 3rd and 4th photos have been cropped a bit..
    2. the feet of the pink figure
    3. the left end and the upper right end of the bibingka
    4. the left end of the suman
    just move away a little bit from the subject to capture the whole image.

also on sir adrian's comment about the text it looks like blurred because you put drop shadow on text. try use outer glow instead, set blending options of outer glow to multiply and pick a dark color.

i would also like to agree on sir joe. Im not yet a pro, but i really learned a lot from the internet. camera's have the same principle. dont be discouraged. just keep on reading tutorials and keep on shooting!
    Nikon D5100
    Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
    Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.8G

YN 465 Speedlite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If shooting for layouts with copy (text), always make room for the copy instead of placing them on top of the subject. A good start is to draft the layout and decide where to put the copy. Lay the subject so that there is ample space (white space as we call it, although not necessarily white) to put the copy in.

As an example for the cassava cake (it's not bibingka, btw):
    1. A landscape shot is better, imo.
    2. Angle the shot lower and to the left to show the thickness of the slice.
    3. Fill about 2/3 of the frame with the slice, but not necessarily the whole slice (2/3 maybe?).
    4. Position the slice top left or bottom right (this is because we are right-reading - reading from left to right).
    5. The title/product name can be placed on top of the slice, but the mandatories (brand + details) should be on the white space - the green banana leaf. Personally I would leave the slice 'uncluttered' and put the name below or to the right, smaller, in poster font.
    6. Lastly, I'm not a fan of text effects (shadows, glow, etc.). I'd rather use poster fonts (bold typeface) over colored/textured background in reverse (white). If this doesn't work, use a 'ghost' box (or floating box in 50-80% transparency) to put the copy in.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bryanJosephAlvaran View Post
    Thanks for the comment sir. I really appreciate these.. Umm sir Joe and sir Adrian, can you please show me your previews captures using P&S? I wanna get more ideas. thank you!

About the red text.. It's because of the reduced quality of the pic when I uploaded it on Facebook, plus the wrong settings on the Drop Shadow effect.

And the overdone 1st pic, I was experimenting in photoshop. hehe

I usually shoot landscapes but here are some of my macro modes straight from the camera of various P&S. The macro mode in your P&S is your best friend when it comes to close-up photography. With DSLRs, you will have to buy a macro lens for closer and sharp images.

Canon A310

Canon SD550

Sony DSC-W70
    Not a nice image but when you use macro mode and flash, the camera adjusts the power of the flash down so that you don't get too much light even at close-ups.

You may use flash under bright sunlight to lift the shadow/dark areas.

As you can see here, not only does P&S has macros, they can do it very well.

I hope this inspires you to keep using your current camera as I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots adrian..if you didnt say its p&s i wouldn't notice!
    -----///--------------------------------///----------------------------------------------------------///-
    I'd rather have a SUPERTELE and not need it than need it and not have it.