If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Post Thanks / Like

Mirror Slap on 5D mk2

Sirs, have u encountered this problem? this causes your images to be soft even though u got fast enough shutter speed to counter camera shake (pls note that ur subject is at still). I've been reading on the web, and one solution will be to use the mirror lock up function, but that wouldn't be possible always, especially when you're into events coverage. i've just acquired a 5D2, bought second hand. can canon fix this slap? or is there any techniques that u might wanna share to counter this?

Thanks...
    Engineer by Profession, but Photography is my Passion!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mirror Slap on 5D mk2

Quote Originally Posted by carlodriz View Post
    Sirs, have u encountered this problem? this causes your images to be soft even though u got fast enough shutter speed to counter camera shake (pls note that ur subject is at still). I've been reading on the web, and one solution will be to use the mirror lock up function, but that wouldn't be possible always, especially when you're into events coverage. i've just acquired a 5D2, bought second hand. can canon fix this slap? or is there any techniques that u might wanna share to counter this?

Thanks...
    Have you tried changing the lens bro? Maybe the lens make the images a bit soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcdarwinbulatao View Post
    Have you tried changing the lens bro? Maybe the lens make the images a bit soft.
    no its not related to the lens. as the TS said, its a mirror slap and its inside the camera.

to the TS: would be best to get Canon look at it as I have read about something like this before and was fixed after the service center adjusted something inside the mirror box

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sir, shoot in live view, only problem though is the autofocus speed. If you have a nice lens for manual focusing then it might work.

Post Thanks / Like

Uhmm.. Just an additional question for the pros, how do you know if there is a mirror slap problem?
    ReaL men keep promises.

Post Thanks / Like

@Sir Romz, i'll try to drop by my unit at Canon if i have time.. thanks! =)
    @Sir Adrian, thanks for the advice, i think i could do that but for still subjects only..for events coverage, think that won't work because as you said on the AF speed during live view..

@Sir Bernard, i'm not a pro but this is what i experience, tripod mounted camera, with fast enough shutter speed (1/focal length) still produces soft image... btw, i'm using a 50mm prime, set @ f2.8...
    Engineer by Profession, but Photography is my Passion!