If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not good at this job!

Hi,

Don't know where to post this, sorry.

I am new here and this is my first post.

My father is a photographer and he is really good at taking pictures at the past (I mean at the time that there is no digital cameras yet, film age ).

Since this is our family business, I am the one who do the layouts (Magazine style) to occasions like Weddings.

The problem is, my father is an old fashion photographer and don't know how to take good pictures with digital cameras. When he take pictures, he just set his camera to auto mode and also do not know how to take good posing like other professional photographers do (you know what I mean).

So when I am editing the pictures, all problems are running to me. The pictures where not good, some are blurred and some are dark.

I told him to enter school for photographers so he can learn how to use DSLR properly and will learn the new way of taking pictures. But he told me he is old for that.

It is not that I don't want photography, but I am much more on blogging and editing.

So now I have all the problems. It is in me to make the layout good to make the customer satisfied.

I am only using photoshop. No theme, No template.

I want to learn how others do the layouts. What software you use, and do you use any templates? I saw lots of good layouts out there and I want to learn how they do that.

Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am not good at this job!

hi! your father is a great.. :-) , my father is a old photographer also but the time i learned photography my father left us. (RIP) :-) anyway, im also a graphic artist and do some layouts from weddings, debuts , birthdays, just like you, i have no templates in doing magazine layouts at CS5, what i did is i review all the photos first, from hotel, rings, shoes, church etc etc, thats the time i have lots of ideas in layouting. or somethings i save all the photos in my HDD not seeing in a week para ma miss ko :-) . well as for me , i suggest review all the photos 1st then delete or separate the bad and the good photos. goodluck :-)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Edille! I used to be an art director from a design studio just so you know where my thoughts are coming from. Great share from Warly and I'd like to build on that. When choosing the photos, try to create a story out of your choices. Lay them out in a sequence like a story board. Come up with a plot, setting, characters all the way up to the ending.This gives more interest to your layout and this makes your work different from other layout artists doing the same. Just always remember to give it a taste of you personal style. You're a blogger and you'll find it easy for sure. It's just like writing but you're writing with pictures instead of words.

"Photography shouldn't be too technical. It should be 50% theory, 50% personal style". Me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Edille,

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. And if photography is like blogging with pictures, therefore, it's like blogging with thousands of words. :-s Chill out, you actually have a good problem. Everybody has to start somewhere and you have a lot of things going for you already like equipment and tools. There's really nothing revolutionary new that digital offers that is not there in film. At worst, it makes things a lot easier and more efficient. Perhaps you need to communicate your ideas with your dad to help him compose his pictures in a way that will support your concept. I'd like to think of photography as an art and expression and it's more than just a skill. (Though skills will certainly follow when youre good at it.)

Post Thanks / Like

this is a good great conversation. lot to learn :-) keep it up.. more more.. :-)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!

Can't imagine users here are such friendly people, thanks for the great feedback.

@Warly - Yeah that's what I am doing, reviewing all picture from start up to the end. BUT in the end, I am frustrated LOL! Frustrated because of the look of the pictures (how they being taken), frustrated of how ugly the background in the house of the bride and the groom.

@JVLibunao - "Lay them out in a sequence like a story board. Come up with a plot, setting, characters all the way up to the ending". Jv, this is what I am lacking. Others layout I have seen have their theme (every page have the same look and feel). That's what I want to do, but I can't. I guess I am not really good at it.

Guys do you find different in editing if pangit ang background ng photos? I mean sometimes kasi yung 15K contract namin mejo poor yung family tapos background sa house sawali lang o di kaya sementong hindi naka palitada. Meron bang effect yun sa pag-eedit nyo?

Guys if okay with you, can I ask for a sample of your magazine style wedding layout?

It takes me 1 whole week to finished 20 leaves of Magazine style layout. You, how long will it takes to finished 20 leaves layout?

Post Thanks / Like

If they're poor, they couldn't afford that 15k package. But they did. So I'll consider then "on a budget" instead. And be thankful to have a client ;).

It's quite challenging sometimes if you have those kinds of elements in your photo. But hey, the good news behind it is you can treat them as patterns. Play with it. Find the good in every pixel of it. Just appreciate what is there. Every photo has a beauty of its own. There are no rules in creativity. Just how it turns out and you and your client is happy. Others may not like it but your client surely will love it.

"Photography shouldn't be too technical. It should be 50% theory, 50% personal style". Me

Post Thanks / Like

For some Old School Photographers it's really tough adopting to the modern technology. They are not used to all kinds of Digital Graphic User Interface of such a Gadget. But when you ask them about Shutter Speed, Aperture, and Film ISO which is commonly available to an analog SLR, for sure they can define such thing and you Father defenitely knows to use those. You cannot expect him learn or know all key features and schematics of a DSLR. Unlike us 3rd generation photographers who are used to digital environment it would be easy to learn it. I think what you should do is start learning also his photography style when it come to weddings and portraits because it might be an oppurtunity for you to continue what he's doing. Or perhaps You and your Dad should have time to sit down together and talk about it. May be you could try helping him out to understand his camera and at the same time learn wedding photography from him and who knows too if you be one of the masters out there.

Me, I learned first from Digital Photography using DSLR before learning the Old School SLR NIKON FG. But I at least I did not waste a lot of Film rolls because of my familiarity to DSLR. The only catch is it took me 2 years to become good with DSLR that improves my Photography skills. Research and accessibilty to Tutorials bacame my guide eversince. I think what you should do is investing time infront of the internet. It may not be enough as your source of learning but it's an advantage as we grow through experience.

Sir Warly and JV mention about reading magazines about such to keep you up to date with the current trends in layout designs. Your Blogging skills is useful. I suggest try visiting Sir Dino Lara's Website www.dinolara.com to have an Idea. Creativity wise makes it a count because reflects your Identity. Templates will not make you flexible but workflow will make your performance better. You may also consider intervining with your dad as a back up photographer because now a days Brain Storming is better than one to come up with better results. My knowledge to this world of photography is 80% Photography and 20% Photo Editing. It's a good thing that I know both beacuase I consider traditional photography even if technology can make it simple.

I addition to Photoshop try to have ADOBE Camera Raw but you guys must shoot in raw It may not do alot in terms of Layout Designs but it can give superb effects in a simple approach. It works for me because it's not time consuming during Post Processing. Even if the Back Ground is OFF Adobe Camera Raw can be put into action. So Probably if a client is on a tight budget and you guys want to accept the it could be worth it.
    NIKON D90+SIGMA17-70mmf/2.8-4 OS HSM Macro|BenroTripodA300EX|Yong
    Nou460IISpeedLight|DelseyCamera Bag
    malvin camina| Back Packer:PHOTOGRAPHER

I'm a Digital Photographer and I shoot by Tradition...

Post Thanks / Like

very well said marvin,. good explanation.. :-)

Guys do you find different in editing if pangit ang background ng photos? I mean sometimes kasi yung 15K contract namin mejo poor yung family tapos background sa house sawali lang o di kaya sementong hindi naka palitada. Meron bang effect yun sa pag-eedit nyo?

Guys if okay with you, can I ask for a sample of your magazine style wedding layout?

It takes me 1 whole week to finished 20 leaves of Magazine style layout. You, how long will it takes to finished 20 leaves layout?
    for its a kind of unique if the background is poor, or dirty, like junkshop, talyer,etc etc.kinda unique :-) try to edit in mr. photoshop if the background need to blured or separate to the subject.maybe it will help.

20pages in 1 week? thats normal to me, with matching tamad pa or baba sa facebook. :-) hehehehe

Post Thanks / Like

Edile, convince your father to attend DPP's May 26 event and you can find someone like him, same age but more knowledgeable in digital eqt. I think he'll be more " open" to somebody from his own generation. Just my 2c!
    -----///--------------------------------///----------------------------------------------------------///-
    I'd rather have a SUPERTELE and not need it than need it and not have it.