If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D700 or D800

Post Thanks / Like

D700 or D800

Hi Folks,

I'm an aspiring wedding and Portrait photographer. Currently have my d90 with me but planning to upgrade to a FX body. Em a bit confused if I'll go with the D700 or 800.

Appreciate your inputs! Thanks!

~Marc Xionne~

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D700 or D800

Quote Originally Posted by Victorius Apilado View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm an aspiring wedding and Portrait photographer. Currently have my d90 with me but planning to upgrade to a FX body. Em a bit confused if I'll go with the D700 or 800.

Appreciate your inputs! Thanks!

~Marc Xionne~
    the only advantage that the D700 has now is a cheaper price

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bryan but if the price is not an issue of course d800 :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanvcpalacio View Post
    the only advantage that the D700 has now is a cheaper price
    hahaha i agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by garrymorallo View Post
    I agree with Bryan but if the price is not an issue of course d800 :-)
    if you looking with the price d800 more expensive than d700

for me better to buy d700 and a good lens if you using for weeding
    Last edited by Potch Pineda; 03-28-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

D800 has all the advantages. It now it all boils down to your budget.

"Photography shouldn't be too technical. It should be 50% theory, 50% personal style". Me

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, for an aspiring Wedding Photog, the D700 offers more than everything that you need. of course the D800 can offer much better resolution, speed, etc... however for someone on a strict budget the D700 will be just fine, especially if paired with the "proper" glass

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really think a D800 would be an ideal camera for weddings. The pixel count is just too high! that means you'll be producing massive file size on each shot. that means you have to change cards every now and then resulting to missed moments during the wedding. D700 would be just fine for weddings just like before. I think the d800 would be ideal for commercial photographers and those who do exhibits since they produce really large prints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samlim View Post
    I don't really think a D800 would be an ideal camera for weddings. The pixel count is just too high! that means you'll be producing massive file size on each shot. that means you have to change cards every now and then resulting to missed moments during the wedding. D700 would be just fine for weddings just like before. I think the d800 would be ideal for commercial photographers and those who do exhibits since they produce really large prints.
    if file size would be your concern, why not use 64 or 128GB CF and SD Cards instead? Details especially for the bride is what I would think will make the D800 popular for wedding photographers, just like what the 5D2 did way back

Post Thanks / Like

Actually for an aspiring wedding photographer, the D90 has everything you need to start it off really. D90 + good primes and people will have a hard time distinguishing the shots from a FF camera.

So if you're decided to go FF, then budget will dictate your need. The D700 has always been a staple camera for weddings for years now so there's absolutely no one who'll tell you the D800 should be your go to camera.

And one more thing to remember, going into a business, cash flow is your number 1 concern. Get the equipment that matches your package / rate. If you're offering somewhere below the 30k mark, the the D90 is the practical and business-wise choice. You'll need as much lifeline (cash) for you to go for the long run. But if you already have a lot in the bank and money isn't much of a problem (same with rather wealthy hobbyists who go straight for a D3 ), the by all means always go for the better model camera.
    ---

Set a mirror correctly and it will lie so convincingly ~ Neil Gaiman, Smoke and Mirrors.

simplyjessie.deviantart.com
    danielleistudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanvcpalacio View Post
    if file size would be your concern, why not use 64 or 128GB CF and SD Cards instead? Details especially for the bride is what I would think will make the D800 popular for wedding photographers, just like what the 5D2 did way back
    well i'm just thinking, not just the memory cards, backing up raw, tiffs and psd files would really be a pain in the ass if not for everyone atleast for me, since i backup with external hard drives + dvd's. with 36mp you probably get around 75mb per 14bit raw file on a d800 compared to a d700 that produces around 10mb per raw file. So that will be round about 7x or 8x larger. Plus if you're producing tiffs that will be round about 200+mb per photo.. not to mention the album layouts you're going to back up. i just think its a lot of juice to handle for weddings. storage nowadays are not cheap. im not saying its not for wedding photographers, if they want to use it, by all means, use it! im just saying for me its not ideal. the older d700 would probably suffice when it boils down to details since wedding albums are not really that big. you probably wont see the difference. (just a thought, nothing personal )