If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner seeking advice..

if i was to shoot this, and im not using full manual:
    id shoot aperture priority. then bracket your shots about a stop to a stop and a half darker.
    i never like to go higher than 800 but i dont know d90s high ISO handling so i would guess 1600 is still alright since its a decent body.
    id would also strictly shoot at the wide end of that zoom lens as it would have the faster aperture setting.

(this would concern you if im going full manual) as for shutter speed, 1/30 the slowest... id push it down to 1/10-1/15, obviously with very still hands.

im never the one to use flash so id leave that for someone else.
    beside this one thing that i really like about flash photography.. slower shutter speed and 2nd/rear curtain. always an interesting shot

WB, its up to you to have an incandescent glow for a warmer vibe or have all the whites, white.
    choose your WB setting accordingly.

i also like to set my exposure metering to spot or center so i wont have say a light source in the background telling my camera that the scene is over exposed whle it makes my subject way under exposed.

i strictly shoot with center AF point only. i dont like the fact that sometimes, the camera would lock in to something else in the scene and ill lose that shot trying to refocus.
    point the center AF at your subject, half press to lock focus and recompose to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

whoooah! This is amazing, its already 2 page! Thanks,thanks for your wonderfull advice, its very informative, i want to try all.. Of what youve said
    You know guy's i feel very special here, your all very responsive, regardles of my status here as a newbie..
    I really appreciate all of your advice, very proffesional, it just push me to learn learn and learn more in this field..

Post Thanks / Like

If the ceiling is low or is painted white, use a mirror. (I also own a D90.)

Here, I've made a blog about it last 2009:

http://juncarlo.multiply.com/photos/...-Review#mirror

HTH

Post Thanks / Like

hmm.. you can also try this setup.

-shoot manual.
    -stick to an aperture, say, f/4 (stay within the f/4-5 range).
    -ISO 200-400 (start at 200).
    -shutterspeed at 1/160.
    -flash at 1/4 power.
    -White Balance, Flash.

the variable you'd need to tweak if your photos are over-exposed or too dark would be you ISO only, and stay within the 200-400 range to minimize noise. your flash can compensate anyway. the shutterspeed would allow for you to get some of the ambient lighting in the resto.

bounce the flash off of the ceiling.

now if the photos are still a little over or dark for your taste, you can then tweak your flash power in small increments until you get the desired results.

this will not work without the flash, so better get one soon.

goodluck and HTH.
    FLICKR
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin bautista View Post
    whoooah! This is amazing, its already 2 page! Thanks,thanks for your wonderfull advice, its very informative, i want to try all.. Of what youve said
    You know guy's i feel very special here, your all very responsive, regardles of my status here as a newbie..
    I really appreciate all of your advice, very proffesional, it just push me to learn learn and learn more in this field..
    if you're there early, you may try shooting on the venue itself so you would see your correct exposure so by the time that the portrait will be done,. you will be ready...

practice some settings first so you have to be there early....

good luck and best regards!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin bautista View Post
    Good morning! Im asking a little help here mga sir..im new in photography and im also new here, i have bought my d90kit last february, with 18-105mm lens. My problem and doubt is, i want to test my camera this coming sat. We have a group dinner and i want to shoot some.
    Please advice me a suite settings for this, maybe its lowlight, maybe 9pm, our venue is in kfc rest. And maybe a group of 24 person,i want to shoot on dining table while eating, a portrait before going home, something like that.
    im afraid to be critized with my shots, hehe, im the only one with dslr in our group, maybe they'll expect to much with my shotr cause i have a big camera,
    hoping from some advice, i only have one lens, 18-105mm, please give me some advice.. Thank you and more power!!
    Sorry to say no one can be an expert just buying a DLSR and and not even having done manual SLR. So dont expect so much for just some advice coming from here. Best thing to do is to use it full automatic and later attend lectures and seminars. Sorry and hope you enjoy your D90 kit and try to invest to have a good flash.