If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Post Thanks / Like

Call for Insights! DPP 43

How does social networking help in getting a photographer's work out there? Do you think it's absolutely essential in today's social media age for a photographer to have Facebook and/or Twitter page?

Let us know what you think. The best answers will come out in DPP 43's Lead Story

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Call for Insights! DPP 43

Social Networking really helps a lot of photographers nowadays especially for those who are just starting. Due to the popularity of social networking (especially Facebook). Their works will immediately be exposed since it can be easily distributed through sharing of friends and relatives. On the other hand, there is also a risk as photography theft has also increased due to also to the fact of the easy access of these sites

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Call for Insights! DPP 43

Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picasa, Pbase, Youtube what do these have in common? Yes they’re social networking sites/websites that contain digital images. But more than that they are the present and future of digital imaging media. Romy Ocon, Edwin Martinez , and Boboy Librodo will not be known internationally, their skills highlighted if they have not utilized these sites. Word of mouth, old boy connections, business cards, magazines, exhibits still have their uses but if you want to be instantly recognized the web is the way to go. Gone are the days when you have to be locally connected or labor for years for an opportunity, an ordinary juan with exceptional talent can be catapulted to worldwide fame by just uploading images on the web. These web media sites levels the playing field, democratically putting web-savvy photographers into the limelight which otherwise would have relegated them to patiently wait for the opportune time (if ever it comes). Meritocracy not favoritism is the norm with these web media. You can “like”, post comments, distribute, recommend, connect immediately unlike before where you need to grovel to superiors who have the power to modify if not suppress the publishing of your work.
    However, the utilization of the internet media does not guarantee immediate success there is still no substitute for hard work in perfecting your craft. Uploading mediocre images will often subject you to ridicule instead of fame, coupled with the fact that the ridiculous will be zipped thru the cloud in seconds gaining for yourself notoriety and butt of jokes as web dimwit image of the year (or eternity or until web hosting contract expires). Although generally, the advantages outstrip the negatives hence it is imperative that aspiring photographers be adept in the new media as well as our current masters so as not to be left behind.
    -----///--------------------------------///----------------------------------------------------------///-
    I'd rather have a SUPERTELE and not need it than need it and not have it.

Post Thanks / Like

I get 80% of my Photography Workshop students through Facebook. Used to do these workshops once a month. Thanks to social networking, i now do them once a week.
    __________________________________________________ _

“To consult the rules of composition before taking a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.” - Edward Weston

http://www.facebook.com/winston.baltasar
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/winstonb/sets/
    http://www.mbpictureperfect.com/article.php?id=544&Cid=3&PPid=1
    http://winstonbaltasar.multiply.com/

DPP Member Michael Menghamal Garcia's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely a new digital feel to advertising your photographs. The results that I show my clients are more accessible for them to promote or just show off to their friends by means of sharing or tagging and with that my watermark is there for them to spread on their own. It's a lot better now compared to ten years ago. Hahaha! Although it has a negative side but who cares. As long as your followers or friends keep on responding, your work is being advertised. It's more fun with social networks knowing that you see results faster than any other form of media. It's direct access to your peers, friends, clients and haters thoughts. LOL.
    So hell yeah. The relevance is obvious. This is the new digital age. We either go with it or get left behind. ^^,
    Last edited by Michael Menghamal Garcia; 04-01-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    UrbanConcepts Photography
    Owner | Head Photographer | Multimedia Dev

Photographers are people who most appreciate the bounties of God. They capture the essence of God's creativity. MMGarcia

Want to earn extra by just visiting ads?
    http://www.youthmonthlypay.com/index.php?refcode=29181
    Visit and learn how to do it. Easy as 1 2 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Social Networking is considered as a “New Age Marketing” and as for the term “Marketing”, we definitely know that it is essential for every business to have and prioritize it. If you're a professional photographer then this is a must since you have to spread your name and work out there in the free market. By showing others your work by means of social media like facebook and twitter, you double or maybe triple your chances of being noticed by the public because not only do your friends see your work, but also your friend's friends, and their friend's friends. The possibilities are endless! And for a business, the best form of marketing is always the ones that are free!

Post Thanks / Like

Photography, aside from equipment and technique, is very dependent on networking. Without it, a photographer wouldn't have clients or models to shoot. Social networking sites makes it quite easier for everyone involved in this activity as everyone can get connected without getting a busy signal or a missed sms. With Facebook, one can look a somebody's portfolio, past clients and feedback without actually having face to face contact until the day of the shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Social Media is what got me into Photography in the first place. Just a few months ago, more and more of my friends and those that share their pages began sparking the interest in me to become a photographer myself. The accessibility of training materials coupled by knowledge sharing by the pros and amateurs alike online sure made it easy for me to catch on. Everyday I look forward to looking at, criticizing, and being critiqued at to become better. Besides, had it not been for social media, I don't think photography would've had such a boom in recent years.