If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Cheap lenses and 2nd hand lenses. HELP!

DPP, I would like to ask re: this. Because my family and I are going to Coron and I want our pictures to be memorable and somehow perfect My current camera is Nikon D40 plus kitlens. I was wondering if there are 2nd hand lenses for sale in Hidalgo? Also can you suggest what lens to buy for Coron trip? I was thinking of getting a prime and a flash or telephoto. Thanks guys! More power!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cheap lenses and 2nd hand lenses. HELP!

focal length in mind ? .. there are a lot of lenses for sale in hidalgo, be it brand new or 2nd hand
    old manual lenses or some more recent ones

travel photos? .. id stick with the kit lens and get a flashgun for some night time photos

and maybe a 35mm/50mm f/1.8G if my budget will permit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donpaoloyu View Post
    focal length in mind ? .. there are a lot of lenses for sale in hidalgo, be it brand new or 2nd hand
    old manual lenses or some more recent ones

travel photos? .. id stick with the kit lens and get a flashgun for some night time photos

and maybe a 35mm/50mm f/1.8G if my budget will permit
    In the other forums, they said that I should get a 2nd hand 20mm prime and it is also a wide angle lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree kit lens is OK already and if you think about it its wider than the 20mm prime. But if really want to buy something I suggest get the 35mm 1.8G for portraits and low light. Its a great match for your D40.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelascue View Post
    In the other forums, they said that I should get a 2nd hand 20mm prime and it is also a wide angle lens.
    angel/angela,
    please be reminded that you are going to a place where is seawater - salt in the air which is very bad for any dslr. to get another lens, any lens will mean changing lenses in a salty environment, which is an invitation to potential probl;ems -dust,salt,water/moisture,etc.

your kit lens is already enough to enjoy the trip. in my opinion if you really have to/want to get another lens, maybe an 18-135mm will take care of wide,portraits and telephoto shots. a 20mm will be redundant sincew that has been covered by your kit lens.

if you still have time to research look for nikon, and compatible tamron and sigma, the latter 2 less expensive but still very good.

you did not mention as to how long you have alreeady been shooting but from your inquiry as what extra lens to buy you are still a new dslr user (no offense meant please).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melo garces View Post
    angel/angela,
    please be reminded that you are going to a place where is seawater - salt in the air which is very bad for any dslr. to get another lens, any lens will mean changing lenses in a salty environment, which is an invitation to potential probl;ems -dust,salt,water/moisture,etc.

your kit lens is already enough to enjoy the trip. in my opinion if you really have to/want to get another lens, maybe an 18-135mm will take care of wide,portraits and telephoto shots. a 20mm will be redundant sincew that has been covered by your kit lens.

if you still have time to research look for nikon, and compatible tamron and sigma, the latter 2 less expensive but still very good.

you did not mention as to how long you have alreeady been shooting but from your inquiry as what extra lens to buy you are still a new dslr user (no offense meant
    please).
    Yes sir I only have few ideas on basic photography. I acquired my dslr last 2009. And I just used it for family occassions. I also got busy with school and board exam. So now I want to learn more. I really envy those shots that are very sharp and has that nice bokeh. And was wondering what lens would be good for that.

Post Thanks / Like

to answer your question, the 50mm 1.8D or G lens is good for bokeh....

the 35mm is a bit expensive than the 50MM 1.8G lens, the 1.8D lens (no auto focus) is pegged at 6k for brand new...

I do believe you still have to buy brand new, as second hand lenses would give you some sleepless nights sometimes..but that is just me....

Post Thanks / Like

50mm 1.8D will not be a wise choice bec of the auto focus issue with the D40. 50mm 1.8G is cheaper than 35mm 1.8G? How much do they cost right now? I gotta have one =]

No doubt 50mm prime are really good. But the 2 things why I suggest the 35mm 1.8G is bec of the focal length + the crop factor of the D40.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelascue View Post
    20mm prime . if you could find one would be a manual lens on a d40

no metering , no af

mind you, the kit is also a wide lens @ 18mm

if your looking for a really wide lens

a popular choice is the toki 11-16 (idk if the af version is out locally, would probably cost more than your camera anyway)

or a 10.5mm fisheye
    or an 8mm

but those would cost too much as well

what are you aiming for anyway ?

landscape shots? - stick with the kit lens for the meantime

portraits? - get the 35mm or the 50mm . cant go wrong with either

do a lot of family pictures ? - consider a flash, they are dead useful

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ferrer View Post
    50mm 1.8D will not be a wise choice bec of the auto focus issue with the D40. 50mm 1.8G is cheaper than 35mm 1.8G? How much do they cost right now? I gotta have one =]
    around 11.5 for the 35 afaik 12500 on the 50 .. around that price range

Post Thanks / Like

id stick with the kit lens then get some creative filters instead for travel