If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Thread: airport x-ray

Post Thanks / Like

airport x-ray

Good day,
    Had anyone traveled locally with their film cameras and film?
    I'm worried about the x-ray effect on the film. How can I avoid it. Can I just ask the airport personnel not to put my film on their machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: airport x-ray

Quote Originally Posted by jomel madia View Post
    Good day,
    Had anyone traveled locally with their film cameras and film?
    I'm worried about the x-ray effect on the film. How can I avoid it. Can I just ask the airport personnel not to put my film on their machine?
    Jomel, the answer is yes. You can always ask them for a consideration not to pass your film in the x-ray machine. Just tell them what it is and how sensitive it will if it will pass through the x-ray machines. Good luck on this one because, they will also you inform you that their machines are safe and will not ruin or damage anything that will pass through it and it is a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) on their part especially after the twin tower attacks. Since the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) require airport terminals to train their personnel/s the proper way on how to handle this kind of situation. I just hope those persons on duty on that part of the terminal that you might encounter will do what they were trained for and consider your request for exemption. HTH
    Last edited by reonel cordova; 03-02-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    'the all seeing eye'

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Gensan last summer with a couple of rolls of ASA 2OO Kodak color film & 4OO ASA Ilford B/W film. No problems with photos on exposed & unexposed rolls. Even in years past at the height of the film era, I had no problems. I believe it's when the ASA rating is 8OO or higher that exposure to xray machines may affect the rolls.
    1. Each day is a snapshot in the album of life.
    2. Film is good. Film is timeless.
    3. It's called grain...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this article will help Jomel although the recommendations here are for travel within the US

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.shtml
    When I die, bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass!

Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves me right, a reputable source from another forum claimed that his ISO 1600 films were unaffected despite having passed through several x-ray scans.

Based on experience, ISO400 film (AGFA, Fuji, Kodak, etc; slide, color negative, and black and white) seemed unaffected by these scans. Some were still mid-roll and in-camera and there seemed to be no effect on the film.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

x-ray machines have labels that indicate that they are film safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to Aklan this Apriland I'll be bringing films. This really helps me so much. cheers!