If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Thread: Guess? Ad look

Post Thanks / Like

Guess? Ad look

hi. i am a noob in the field of digital manipulation and was wondering if you can help me. im sure youve seen guess ads. photos of women in black and white. i was wondering if any of you can teach me how to recreate those effects? ive got a bunch of photos of my officemates that i would love to use them on. thanks in advance, guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guess? Ad look

Quote Originally Posted by andrew samson View Post
    hi. i am a noob in the field of digital manipulation and was wondering if you can help me. im sure youve seen guess ads. photos of women in black and white. i was wondering if any of you can teach me how to recreate those effects? ive got a bunch of photos of my officemates that i would love to use them on. thanks in advance, guys.

If I may sir, just try your best to recreate the look then probably the Masters here can give pointers on how you can improve or what needs to be changed.....

just desaturate the photo, then curves, levels, and experiment with the blending options (hard light, overlay etc...)

hope I didn't offend you with this post and it's just my 2 cents..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Domingo View Post
    If I may sir, just try your best to recreate the look then probably the Masters here can give pointers on how you can improve or what needs to be changed.....

just desaturate the photo, then curves, levels, and experiment with the blending options (hard light, overlay etc...)

hope I didn't offend you with this post and it's just my 2 cents..
    dude its ok! its just that i dont really know where to go from converting it to black and white. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrew samson View Post
    dude its ok! its just that i dont really know where to go from converting it to black and white. :P
    oh sorry....hehe

when you have your pic in photoshop.....duplicate the layer....then go to Image -- Adjust -- Desaturate....

then play around with the adjustment layers....there are tutorials on YOUTUBE on using adjustment layers bro, just search for the specific type of tutorials you want to achieve.....

sorry, I am not as good as the others but I know just the basic stuff....hehehehe

Post Thanks / Like

Hi sir just sharing my two cents

The effect you see in Guess ads is not just the product of photo manipulation thus it cannot be achieved in post processing alone, if you study the photos, you can see that they are also a product of good lighting, make-up, styling, casting and art direction. All the elements complement each other in able to produce what we call the classic guess look. leaving out one of the elements above and surely youl fail to achieve the said look.

The post processing is only just one element in achieving the said guess look, i dont know the exact post processing workflow for the said ads but it appears that the said ads are processed by applying layers that accentuate what seems to be hard lighting therefore creating a high contrast look. Try using the channel mixer for your black and white conversion and play with the sliders and see which channel offers the appropriate contrast needed. I can also see dodge and burn layer used in the images to further bump the contrast. A little grain is also present and slight vignetting in the corners to add to the look and feel of the image.

As the saying goes there are many ways to skin a cat which also applies to post processing, there are many different ways to achieve a certain look in post. But in the end id like to emphasize that without the other elements present it doesnt matter how you edit the photo cause you wont be bale to achieve the look without focusing on the other elements of the photograph.

Hope that helps, thanks for reading

Post Thanks / Like

post processing is like the final polishing of the product.

to put Adam's post in simple words (and to borrow what i usually tell modelling students), garbage in, garbage out. the final product's quality depends on the base product's quality.
    1st film cam was a Canon EOS 88(?)
    1st digital cam was a Canon Powershot S45 (aka the brick)
    1st DSLR still a Canon
    Delighting me always
    ... but recently been taking mostly iPhone 4s shots

Canon EOS 1100D/Rebel T3 (Maroon Body) | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II (kit lens) | Benro Travel Angel Mg-Aluminum Tripod | Yongnuo RF603C Trigger Remote | Lowepro Inverse 100SW Camera Belt Bag