If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting w/ off-camera flash

Hi guys, here's one of the first few shots I took I used a regular shoot-through umbrella and I was lucky that one of our place mats had a silver/reflective back face that I used as a reflector

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...full-exif=true

I'm welcome to comments and criticisms!
    Last edited by marcobaldo; 12-27-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    Nikon D5000

NIKKOR AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G
    NIKKOR AF-S DX 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G VR
    Nikon SB-600 + Yongnuo RF-602

Visit my blog: http://www.walangmagawa.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I was informed by Ackerly Chua of Tayhua that they have resumed operation.
    "Be good to the people you meet on your way up because they will be the same people you will meet on your way down."

Post Thanks / Like

See my sig...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Tong View Post
    See my sig...
    Thank you sir, will add them to my reading list

Quote Originally Posted by noel guerrero View Post
    I was informed by Ackerly Chua of Tayhua that they have resumed operation.
    Good to hear sir
    Nikon D5000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcobaldo View Post
    My issue if I buy a wireless trigger only is that I don't have my speedlight stand anymore although I'm pretty sure I can find a way to make the flash stand, I don't want it to accidentally fall down..

Regarding tripod: I already have a tripod from my dad's really really old camera gear, it's still quite okay..

When using off-camera flash do you usually shoot away from the camera using a remote/release cable? Because that's how I imagine myself doing it if I didn't get a light stand for my flash.. I'd be the one holding the flash..
    Flashes have this mini stand... you get this free when you buy a flash... any flash i believe.. you can screw it to your tripod... then lock your speedlight with it... there is a wheel for every one that serves as a lock... in my experience, flashes mounted on tripod have very very minimal chances of falling down than flashes mounted on a lightstand with umbrella or soft box hahaha...

for starter... uhhm I recommend the CDR-King flash... then buy a RF603... all brand new and will still fit the budget of 3K...
    Last edited by alexizsuelentaaca; 01-18-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: ahahaha nasagot na pala to
    CANON EOS 350D proud user
    |Feeling Blogger|Graphic Artist kuno|Fail Photographer|Avid Book Reader and Collector|Awkward Geek|Weird Kid|

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexizsuelentaaca View Post
    Flashes have this mini stand... you get this free when you buy a flash... any flash i believe.. you can screw it to your tripod... then lock your speedlight with it... there is a wheel for every one that serves as a lock... in my experience, flashes mounted on tripod have very very minimal chances of falling down than flashes mounted on a lightstand with umbrella or soft box hahaha...

for starter... uhhm I recommend the CDR-King flash... then buy a RF603... all brand new and will still fit the budget of 3K...
    Thanks for the response

I already got my stand w/ the umbrella. My issue was that I thought all umbrella adapters came w/ the 1/4" screw-type hole for the flash trigger.. mine came w/ a hot-shoe type slot and it wasn't very stable, I really have to tighten the lock and make sure no one touches the stand or accidentally bumps the umbrella.. my flash already fell from 6ft. high good thing it was a rug..

I guess I learned only after purchasing.. I'll definitely choose a better one next time, though I'm quite contented w/ my purchase..
    Nikon D5000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcobaldo View Post
    Thanks for the response

I already got my stand w/ the umbrella. My issue was that I thought all umbrella adapters came w/ the 1/4" screw-type hole for the flash trigger.. mine came w/ a hot-shoe type slot and it wasn't very stable, I really have to tighten the lock and make sure no one touches the stand or accidentally bumps the umbrella.. my flash already fell from 6ft. high good thing it was a rug..

I guess I learned only after purchasing.. I'll definitely choose a better one next time, though I'm quite contented w/ my purchase..
    That's also what I have a hot-shoe thingy... but bumping and touching won't really uhh prevent your stand from falling... even tripods when bumped fall down... anyway... i didn't have anyproblem with the hot shoe slot thingy I really like it because less hassle of screwing in the mini-stand on the light stand... but yeah you really have to make sure that it is very very tight... What I do is after I tighten the lock on the hotshoe thingy I also use the wheel-lock-thingy para tight na tight so magiging prob na lang is the wind or someone bumping the light stand...
    CANON EOS 350D proud user
    |Feeling Blogger|Graphic Artist kuno|Fail Photographer|Avid Book Reader and Collector|Awkward Geek|Weird Kid|

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

I'm planning on buying a strobist set myself. I have a Nissin Di622 Mark II and I use my D90's commander mode to sync it up. No need to use wireless triggers. I don't have light stand yet so I fix my speedlite to its stand then screw it to my benro tripod. It's pretty stable since its a tripod. But I want an umbrella too or a softbox. I think it will be complicated it I'll find a way to attach and umbrella to my tripod. I'm not even sure if it's possible. It may be cheaper just to get the usual lightstand+umbrella kit. Tay Hua's cheapest kit:

1pc. White Umbrella or Shoot Thru Umbrella 40"
    1pcs. Light Stand 6ft
    1pcs. Umbrella Bracket
    1pcs. Light Stand Carrying Case

Price: PHP 1,650.00

I won't do hard core shoots anyway so I guess this set will do. Can I just buy as walk in customer?

---
    Attached are the sample(experiment) product shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Photography is an art, not science. So whatever looks good to you is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did, today- walk in customer. I upgraded the 6ft light stand to 9ft but it was heavier and thick, but sturdy. I guess that would be useful for some winds outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by IkeTalens View Post
    Hi

I'm planning on buying a strobist set myself. I have a Nissin Di622 Mark II and I use my D90's commander mode to sync it up. No need to use wireless triggers. I don't have light stand yet so I fix my speedlite to its stand then screw it to my benro tripod. It's pretty stable since its a tripod. But I want an umbrella too or a softbox. I think it will be complicated it I'll find a way to attach and umbrella to my tripod. I'm not even sure if it's possible. It may be cheaper just to get the usual lightstand+umbrella kit. Tay Hua's cheapest kit:

1pc. White Umbrella or Shoot Thru Umbrella 40"
    1pcs. Light Stand 6ft
    1pcs. Umbrella Bracket
    1pcs. Light Stand Carrying Case

Price: PHP 1,650.00

I won't do hard core shoots anyway so I guess this set will do. Can I just buy as walk in customer?

---
    Attached are the sample(experiment) product shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adrianfernando View Post
    I did, today- walk in customer. I upgraded the 6ft light stand to 9ft but it was heavier and thick, but sturdy. I guess that would be useful for some winds outdoors.

wow! that's great! thanks! i'm not sure if i'll be using it outdoors. do you suggest i get the 9 feet instead? how short is it folded? can it be put in a bag with the umbrella as well?

thanks
    Photography is an art, not science. So whatever looks good to you is right.