If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picture Control Settings Tips and Tricks

Moving to Nikon sub-forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon Picture Control Settings Tips and Tricks

My camera is not producing superb/excellent photo straight out of the box and I admit that I am bad photographer. I only notice, whether the shot is overexposed/underexposed, shooting in RAW make it easier to make nice adjustment as compared to shooting in jpeg mode. For me nothing is wrong with having an extra job of post processing, as in kodak era of film negative, we likewise do the same job in dark room. The only difference now is the aid of high tech processing through computers and software like cs5, et al. Aside you really have to exert effort to have a digitally masterpiece photo

In my case RAW gives me more rooms to have an impression that I shoot good even though I am not. Just my opinion as everyone is entitled to express their own view. Aside, im only newbie in DPP as compared to thousands great master whose words are entitled to great weight & respect, lets wait what will they say.
    Last edited by MARCOVINARAO; 10-26-2011 at 12:16 PM.

the love of man to a woman is like a river flowing endlessly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EfrainJorque View Post
    Thanks! I found one but unfortunately they don't have settings for my unit.
    http://www.nikonimglib.com/opc/

My goal is to reduce the post processing time. If I can produce a vivid color on my shots probably I don't have to edit most of them in lightroom.

Let us not forget that the picture setting is NOT the only factor affecting the color, contrast and sharpness. Lenses also play a major role here.
    A change in white balance setting will change the color. Shoot at noon under the sun and you will most likely get high contrast photos.

The picture setting may help but getting better photos is a combination of many things. (just my 2 cents)
    ReaL men keep promises.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

I've started experimenting picture controls add little bit adjustment on sharpening and saturation. So far so good it add a little kick on my photos unlike before. Yeap, Bernard is right white balance plays a major role also. That's why I can't wait to grab myself a white balance cap.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

I've started experimenting picture controls add little bit adjustment on sharpening and saturation. So far so good it add a little kick on my photos unlike before. Yeap, Bernard is right white balance plays a major role also. That's why I can't wait to grab myself a white balance cap.
    I think this was answered already if you paid attention to the previous comments. You need either Nikon NX2 or the free version Nikon View NX.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...NX/ViewNX.html

This software works well especially for D7000 users since the NEF files are slightly different and may not work with older versions of Nikon NX2. Using Nikon softwares preserves both RAW and JPG camera settings and you also have the option to change the RAW file from Standard to Vivid, Neutral, etc. during post processing.

Picture controls varies and it's more of a personal touch on what you prefer. If you are a fan of Ken Rockwell, then stick with his Vivid picture control. Just don't use it when taking pictures of people.
    Best regards,

Glenn
    A Traveler from Japan
    My Gear
    My flickr
    Facebook

"You can never have too many lenses" - B and H Photo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

Using a white balance cap will give you an illusion that you are doing something right.... just an illusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about raw format. shooting in raw I think none of the in camera effects or enhancements will apply? Correct me on that.

You applied those on all picture control settings?
    None of the picture controls will affect the RAW if you shoot RAW solely.

If you shoot RAW + jpeg, then the picture controls will be appied to jpeg but the RAW will be untouched.

However, your histogram will have the picture controls applied on it. If you are using Vivid, your Red channel might appear blown already when in fact it is not blown yet. The increased saturation applied by the Picture Control using a Vivid setting will throw off your histogram.

The in-camera histogram is linear by design and it relies on the Picture controls settings. It is the jpeg rendered histogram, not the actual histogram of the RAW data.

I shoot RAW and I use an Inverse histogram to give a more accurate histogram not based on jpeg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bernardayson View Post
    Let us not forget that the picture setting is NOT the only factor affecting the color, contrast and sharpness. Lenses also play a major role here.
    A change in white balance setting will change the color. Shoot at noon under the sun and you will most likely get high contrast photos.

The picture setting may help but getting better photos is a combination of many things. (just my 2 cents)
    I agree.

I would also reinforce your post in emphasizing that if we do the capture right, post-processing will be just an extension of our capture.

What is ironic is the usual workflow that happens:

1) We spend mucho dineros to acquire equipment.
    2) We spend time getting to a place where we plan to shoot.
    3) We spend time shooting, physically walking around, lugging our equipment, putting up with heavy backpacks, running to chase a shot, contorting ourselves to get that money shot.
    4) We click the shutter.
    5) Then rely on jpeg???

What I am trying to say is why burn the bridge when we can have the option of shooting RAW and process the jpeg images ourselves instead of relying on some "Picture Controls" that were designed by someone else who did not see what we saw when we took the shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MARCOVINARAO View Post
    My camera is not producing superb/excellent photo straight out of the box and I admit that I am bad photographer. I only notice, whether the shot is overexposed/underexposed, shooting in RAW make it easier to make nice adjustment as compared to shooting in jpeg mode. For me nothing is wrong with having an extra job of post processing, as in kodak era of film negative, we likewise do the same job in dark room. The only difference now is the aid of high tech processing through computers and software like cs5, et al. Aside you really have to exert effort to have a digitally masterpiece photo

-edit-
    The same rules in analog photography apply when we are using a digital medium.

Some examples:

1) Know what metering system to use and what to meter. People rely so much on Matrix Metering (Nikon) or Evaluative Metering (Canon) and lose the potential of being able to understand how we want to capture light using what we see on the scene.

2) Good composition will make a compelling image.

3) Exposure will affect your colors. A digital underexposed image will have rich colors at the expense of noise. A digital overexposed image will have clean image at the expense of a flat image.

4) Capturing a decisive moment will overcome a bad exposure.

5) If we try to understand light, in terms of its shape, tonality, texture, and direction; merge that understanding in terms of using the digital medium to translate what we saw in terms of pixels, then we are steps ahead of those who are using a digital medium who do not take the time to learn photography using a digital medium.
    Last edited by Thor Lidasan; 10-27-2011 at 10:34 AM.