If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CD-R King Pelican-like cases

We can all do our own test on this. No one forces you to do all that was suggested but we hope if you did the tests please share your reviews and test results. You don't have to buy it to break it. If I buy this I'd be glad to share review / test results so that future readers of this thread would know if they can trust the product or not.

The reason why I mentioned the shotgun test because one testimonial of pelican survived an improvised explosive device under the vehicle he was in. The pelican case saved his life from the shrapnel and fragments. If this thing can do the same then the more trust points i can give. But this is an extreme case and we'd probably die of sickness or old age before this happens to us. hehehehe
    Last edited by chester_tan; 05-13-2011 at 05:38 PM.
    "Delighted always you seek, the heart of the image find you must." - Master Yoda
    "I see dead pixels." - The Sixth Sensor

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on your needs. I'd trust this cdr king case more than any expensive bag, especially with the pluck and play padding contoured to my gear, hard plastic body, and rubber seal(though questionable). I'm wiling to place my cam gear inside for what my gear is exposed to, casual shooting and wedding shoots. I'm also sure that a vase placed inside one of these would survive the drop test. But, would i trust it like I would a Pelican? I wouldn't, especially if I shot ala Nat Geo.

I have a medium sized case with my headphones, amps, and player which cost as much as an entry level/mid-entry level camera and a lot of people do the same on another forum.

http://hyperionzoomlover.blogspot.co...aterproof.html
    Last edited by marcifurung; 12-20-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added link to a review

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my water seal test: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr1P6S8-f7g"]CDr King Waterproof Case - YouTube[/ame]

Soaked it for an hour and the inside was completely dry. Unfortunately our pool is being cleaned and had no water :p LOL! I wish!

Now for the shotgun test...
    Last edited by marcifurung; 12-20-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend had the biggest version and the medium one. He had not tested them yet under water. The edge of the lower part is lined with an O-Ring meant to seal off the contents once closed/mated with the upper part. I pointed out to him that on inspection of the side of both cases, the plastic edges were not evenly sealed with a 2-3mm gap right in the middle. It did not inspire confidence. I own a Pelican 1510. The edges of top & bottom parts are evenly sealed.

Another issue is the auto-purge valve w/c is present on the Pelican case. The CDR-King valve is not auto purge. You have to be careful to ensure that it is screwed on tight.

The locking snaps are not as robustly built like those in a Pelican case.

The innard has pluck n fit foam. Looks decent. My friend uses these cases to store his flashes & HDs. For shock protection purposes, I believe these CDR-King cases will do the job for far less cost than the Pelicans. If you are after water protection also, I personally would not entrust my hard-earned expensive photographic gears in these. You be the judge. Inspect them for yourself and decide.
    1. Each day is a snapshot in the album of life.
    2. Film is good. Film is timeless.
    3. It's called grain...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for reviving the thread, I am planning to buy this pelican type but i cannot seem to find it on CDR King's website.

I plan to use it on the camera for travelling to and from manila and pampanga, main reason is when riding city bus, people tend to bump into my stuff like my bags and other stuff so i need a bit of shock protection.

would this survive that sort of minimal bumps? also how about if it was dropped at waistline level.

Post Thanks / Like

Intresting. Just an average person with average needs/salary.
    CHASEing the dream.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a test with a cdr king and Pelican 1120 on another site http://www.pinoyphotography.org/foru...html#msg990338 and raised some eyebrows. For one I did not photo document the test and submerged the pelican longer. Maybe I should do another test and document the whole thing. I'll try later when I get back home.
    I shoot to earn my beer.
    images from 2 dimensions I flickr I 500 px
    panoramio I vimeo
    profile photo by Jerry 'pub' Rendon

Post Thanks / Like

i dont plan to submerged just need a bit of shock protection from bumps when riding the citybus.

also i asked about the price of the medium one and it was 1200 at CDR King megamall.
    the small one is really small that i think it wouldnt fit a mid range zoom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deneek Tolentino View Post
    i dont plan to submerged just need a bit of shock protection from bumps when riding the citybus.
    It seems like you are commuting your camera without a bag. Any well padded camera bag will have enough protection on your gear during bus rides. Unless you are checking in your equipment on air travel or doing some wet and rugged adventures then a hard case will work for you. Cheers!
    I shoot to earn my beer.
    images from 2 dimensions I flickr I 500 px
    panoramio I vimeo
    profile photo by Jerry 'pub' Rendon

Post Thanks / Like

I had the small one. Put my phone in it (very cheap phone). Had to cross a river, so I made sure everything was sealed, etc. Swam across the river. Phone got wet (not soaking wet). Had to put phone in dry box to make it work again.

I think they (CDR-King) pelican type boxes make good dust-proof, and semi-shock proof cases to protect gear.

I bet some could even be waterproof -- but, consistency of quality would be iffy from unit to unit. So I may have gotten a lemon unit.

Pelican would also have some lemons, I'm sure. Nobody is perfect. But I'd be willing to bet their batting average is CONSIDERABLY higher than CDR-King's.

I think the CDR King is great value for money; just don't expect it to be a Pelican.