If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool 3 official photographer in a row

a couple approached me for their wedding event last december.i was advice that they also already got a photographer before me to cover their event..so i explain about the implications on it. like directing during photo session and confortability of other photographer.
    during the big day..i was surprised..they also got another official photographer after me so were already three in a row..the problem during that day was the room was too small for us.makeup artist, florist and coordinators are everywhre.
    my question is? 1. how will each photographer interact with each other? since,myself hav e my own way sychronizing my photo session. 2. what are other impilications that will happen?what if one is more agressive -nagmamagaling not considering other who take pictures?

since it was my first to experience to work on to other studio in a event.ived learned that one should exert much effort..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey. Cool man. This is actually a very nice scenario (well, for me). Did the bride specify who is the main photographer? If you are not the main photographer then you might end up taking much better pictures. As the main photographer is concentrated on capturing the required shots, you can go around and take the candids ala photojournalistic styles. You can capture shots that the other photographers missed. Don't mingle where the other photographers are. Find a better angle than them. If you take pictures from where the other photographers are also taking pictures from, then your pictures will be no different from them. That is why the couple hired 3 fotogs so they're sure that everything gets covered.

This is where I work best. I don't like having to pose the couple so I let the main fotog pose the couple and then I shoot from a different angle. A lot of times I get pictures that the couple liked.
    D200 and 17-55 f/2.8... finally!

70-200 f/2.8 VR... I have it na rin!!!

Next target... 105 f/2.8 VR Micro...

Post Thanks / Like

Threesome

Hi Jericho,

It's really difficult to shoot when there are other photographers hired for the same shoot. In this case, let me share what I do:

1. Courtesy - I introduce myself to the other photographers and have a chat before the shoot. A simple handshake and exchange of business cards is what I normally do.

2. Rules of Engagement - After introducing myself and getting acquainted, I ask who will act as Lead Photographer and who will shoot next. We usually take turns and avoid shooting directly infront where the other guy is shooting.

3. Fellowship - After the pre-wedding rituals at the hotel or in the house, a light lunch meal is usually served, I eat with the crew and don't treat them like lesser beings and continue with my chat which usuall dicusses about photography.

4. Humility - If someone acts like he knows everything or have that Superiority Complex, just stay cool. Action speaks louder than words and show them what you got. The client is always the final judge and not your peers.

5. Patience - It is a virtue that takes time to master and will help us in every photoshoot assignment. The one who exhibits this trait is usually the one who is more mature among the crowd.

6. Respect - If the other commissioned photographer is senior than me or have more experience in the industry, I let him call the shots and just concentrate on capturing those decisive moments.

7. After Sales Service - Last year, my turnaround time for the CD Proof was 3 to 5 working days. This year, I have shortened it to 1 hour right after the wedding reception since I am now using my laptop in any event coverage. If you are willing to give an extra mile for the client, they will be delighted with your service and give you more referrals and hopefully repeat business.

I'll just add more when I remember some stuff that I usually do. I can summarize it in one sentence. Do to others what you want them to do to you.
    Let me now turn-over the floor to other DPP members to share their experience with you.
    Last edited by Eric Dino; 01-23-2007 at 01:40 AM.
    Photography is all about Light.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice to hear from you guys ,marc and eric now i know were to put myself whenever it happen again and posses this kind of good virtues, humility,patience, coutesy and respect...and of course i have now some pointers to review from you experts...thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Teamwork

Hi Jerico,

You're welcome. Always glad to be of service to others. Just remember to have fun always in every shooting opportunity. You will also be working in the future with those other photographers. It's more on teamwork. In Sales, TEAMWORK means, Together, Everyone Achieves More. When you have your own Photography Group soon, you will also be coordinating with other photographers through two-way radios or sign language just like the Special Forces. Experience is the best teacher. Until then. Best Regards.

Taytay, Rizal / Van Nuys, Los Angeles California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Day! How are you, i've been trying to get in touch with you, but your inbox message is full. You can get in touch with me thru 0926-673-0683. Take care. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dino
    Hi Jerico,

You're welcome. Always glad to be of service to others. Just remember to have fun always in every shooting opportunity. You will also be working in the future with those other photographers. It's more on teamwork. In Sales, TEAMWORK means, Together, Everyone Achieves More. When you have your own Photography Group soon, you will also be coordinating with other photographers through two-way radios or sign language just like the Special Forces. Experience is the best teacher. Until then. Best Regards.
    Canon 5D and Canon 30D with 24-70mm L f2.8 USM and 70-200mm L f2.8 IS USM and 580 EX flash
    mclequin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7307492@N08/

Post Thanks / Like

Photoworld Manila

Hi Marcos,

Welcome back to the Philippines. I'm doing Okay. I'll be seeing you next week and hopefully introduce you to my business partners and suppliers during the Photo World Manila 2007 to be held at the Glorietta Activity Center from February 1 to 5, 2007. Until then. Best Regards and God Bless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Jerico. I hope you don’t mind me riding in on your thread. I think I might have a similar experience as yours during my friend’s wedding this April.

I am just a hobbyist (I don’t even own a DSLR), and my friend seemed to be impressed with my snapshots to go as far as inviting me as an “assistant photographer” (yabang!). I later learned she did this to cut cost (there goes my yabang).

1.) I just want to know what are the terms of reference of an assistant photographer?

2.) Does it also involve shooting all the perfunctory shots, or is he only in charge of taking the sideline/candid shots, which I prefer.

3.) Will a P&S camera suffice? (On the other hand, this event might justify my buying a DSLR! )

4.) What does it mean to “coordinate” with the chief photographer?

Many thanks.
    If in doubt, click again.

photo gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/jadz
    photoblog: www.candidclicks.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to me once...

Some photographers have clauses in their contract that assumes that they are the only photographers for a given event. Of course, since the couple was transparent about having more than one official photographer it is not impossible or even difficult (if a bit inconvenient...3 photographers in the make-up? what about the video?). I hope the bride specified who is the lead photographer, that is the big issue. If all three of you assumed you were, imagine the scenario when the officiating minister finally says the groom can kiss the bride. All three would be jockeying for position ...
    Last edited by bongmanayon; 02-27-2007 at 07:30 PM.
    "How come you always load your Pentax
    When I'm in the nude?"
    (Popsicle Toes - Michael Franks)

BONG.UNI.CC | PENTAX PHOTO GALLERY | FLICKR