If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

Quote Originally Posted by ginoangelo View Post
    taken with Sigma 17-70 non OS version.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...59378051_n.jpg

Great shot... Nicely done on 17mm
    NIKON D90+SIGMA17-70mmf/2.8-4 OS HSM Macro|BenroTripodA300EX|Yong
    Nou460IISpeedLight|DelseyCamera Bag
    © malvin camina| Back Packer:PHOTOGRAPHER

I'm a Digital Photographer and I shoot by Tradition...

Post Thanks / Like

Sabangan, Mt. Province

The Burial Cave, Sagada, Mt. Province

Last edited by jerodchan; 06-07-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Nikon D90
    Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS
    Nikkor 50mm F1.8D

Post Thanks / Like

Question Everyone: Is it free Lens Callibration to JT Photoworld if my Sigma Lens was purchased from them, even if it's already over a year? I still have the proof of purchase. If not how is lens callibration from JT photoworld?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malvin Camina View Post
    Question Everyone: Is it free Lens Callibration to JT Photoworld if my Sigma Lens was purchased from them, even if it's already over a year? I still have the proof of purchase. If not how is lens callibration from JT photoworld?
    Yes as far as I know it's still free even beyond warranty period.
    "A good snapshot stops a moment from running away." -Eudora Welty

Facebook | Flickr | LightCraft Digital | Team Nikon Bullies

Post Thanks / Like

My Sigma 17-70mm's "OS Mechanism" is malfunctioning again after a year and 2 months, after it was replaced by JT Photoworld.
    Is the Sigma's OS Mechanism that fragile? Do they have warranty for repaired units? Thanks Guys!
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 50mm F1.8D

Post Thanks / Like

After connecting all the responses here from this thread, In two and a half years time my lens experienced it too. Early this year I notice that there is sound like crackling when I zoomed in/out my Lens. It's hapenning @ 25mm - 50mm but just a soft sound. I started blaming my brother after he got back here in manila. He use it to the beach and I notice some powder like smudges infront of my lens assuming that he might have droped it into the sand and start to build up some salt or sand inside my lens that cause the problem. I ignored it for the time being. Upon reading further more threads regarding AF problem and got a response from Sir Yohan Dela Cruz and I agreed that it was a back focusing problem too. Earlier this month I brought my Lens to JT Photoworld to have it callibrated. Got it back after 15 mins and took some few shots. WOW! Superb! So sharp. I noticed a huge difference to my surprise. Then I Zoomed In/Out and came out to be a lot worst. There's like a piece of glass inside that's not holding into place. I let the technician confirm it and He said it was the OS. I asked what happened? It's just a coincedence the OS was worned out and there is nothing we could do about it. I asked how much if I'll have it repair? 3.8k php parts and labor. No joke it's really expensive. GOSH! I'd considered that there was already an underlying problem back then and just got worst after the callibration. Sorry to say this but I agree that this lens was not a good buy for me but I still consider maintaining it cause it's really a good fit with my D90 and I've spent 21000 pesos + Sets of HOYA Filters for this copy so may be spending a few bucks for maintenance is worth it. Although, if I will be experiencing Mr. Chan's delima, it's no more to third party lens thats it!, but its just me. I mean why do you have to waste time for callibration due to focusing problem and OS replacement over and over again (because its crap) if you don't need to do it with Nikon lenses. Sorry to Sigma but my Nikon 50mm AF lens performs better than my Sigma lens for only 6.8k . Yes Sigma lenses are cheap but you get what you pay for. Well that's life and too late for regrets. My style of buying gadgets is only get what I need and make an initial assesstment of how long will I use it. Not a rich guy here. My address is: To all the end users of this Copy, Good Luck to Us All. I hope that after the repair it's the last one and never to happen again... The OS mechanism might be fragile in terms of circuitry. I remember one time a Guro told me to make sure that the battery is unplug or just unlock the cover when removing/pluging the lens to cut the current temporarily and avoid short circuit. May be need to avoid even a slight bumps and moisture build up as well.
    Last edited by Malvin Camina; 06-05-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: add notes

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considering (1)selling my copy of this lens after it will be repaired, or (2)sell it as it is and let the buyer have it repaired, or (3)have it repaired and calibrated and stick with this lens. But the reselling value is so low and nikkor wides are so much expensive . I have no budget for nikkors, so maybe i'll stick with sigma wide lenses with no OS mechanism. Maybe this will reduce the cost of maintenance and maybe sturdier than those with OS.

I'm a mountaineer and shoot mostly landscapes and i need a lens that is sturdy enough to survive the outdoor. If I choose my 3rd option; what if after it was repaired, and will be malfunctioning again in no time?; and while shooting outdoor, there is a setback in your mind that this lens may/will be malfunctioning again; this will let me keep the camera inside the bag and be missing more shots than usual .

Will the sigma 10-20mm a good buy? it has no OS mechanism and i think it is an EX lens. Or get a nikkor 16-85mm which is a good all around lens. Advises to my dilemmas are very much appreciated masters. Not a rich guy here also.

Thank you so much masters!!
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 50mm F1.8D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerodchan View Post
    I'm considering (1)selling my copy of this lens after it will be repaired, or (2)sell it as it is and let the buyer have it repaired, or (3)have it repaired and calibrated and stick with this lens. But the reselling value is so low and nikkor wides are so much expensive . I have no budget for nikkors, so maybe i'll stick with sigma wide lenses with no OS mechanism. Maybe this will reduce the cost of maintenance and maybe sturdier than those with OS.

I'm a mountaineer and shoot mostly landscapes and i need a lens that is sturdy enough to survive the outdoor. If I choose my 3rd option; what if after it was repaired, and will be malfunctioning again in no time?; and while shooting outdoor, there is a setback in your mind that this lens may/will be malfunctioning again; this will let me keep the camera inside the bag and be missing more shots than usual .

Will the sigma 10-20mm a good buy? it has no OS mechanism and i think it is an EX lens. Or get a nikkor 16-85mm which is a good all around lens. Advises to my dilemmas are very much appreciated masters. Not a rich guy here also.

Thank you so much masters!!

Check DPP's Classifieds, there is a second hand TOKINA UWA (nikon mount) for sale for only 16k. I think it's a good buy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malvin Camina View Post
    Check DPP's Classifieds, there is a second hand TOKINA UWA (nikon mount) for sale for only 16k. I think it's a good buy...
    Thanks sir Malvin! Which is better sir?(if you tried one) Tokina 12-24 or the 11-16? Ken Rockwell reviewed the 11-16 better than the Nikkor 12-24.. and i saw a Sigma 10-20 f3.5 add which is priced for 12k! Thorn between 3 lenses.. hahaha!
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 50mm F1.8D

Post Thanks / Like

Your choice Sir... But me no more to sigma... That's my last copy...