If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

help! point and shoot replacement for a dslr...

i have a canon 40d. had it for just over a year now. i'm thinking about selling my camera because i noticed that i haven't been using it that much. i simply do not have as much time in my hands. i'm a student pilot and all i've been doing so far are studying and flying. my only uses for my camera are for taking photos of events and at times when i get to fly to other airports. i cannot bring my 40d on all these flights because it is simply to bulky. student pilots only fly the small 2 seaters so there i can't bring big bags. i feel like the camera is just going to a waste. so i was thinking of selling it and just buying a point and shoot with manual controls like the LX3 and the like. the LX3 for example, it also produces excellent photos and i the HD video capability would also be very useful. it isn't very bulky as well so its easy to carry it around when i fly. its a very practical choice but still getting good quality photos.

so what i want to ask is, what compact point and shoot cameras would you recommend? i want to find a camera that's well built and looks more "pro" so to speak, than your typical point and shoot. not that i'm a pro or anything. i'm sure ya'll get what i mean, but still smaller than a dslr. suggestions would be very much appreciated..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help! point and shoot replacement for a dslr...

Well there's the LX3 (like you said). If you have dough to spare, you can go for the GF1, the Pen E-PL1 or the NEX-3/5. If you really have the moolah, there's the Leica M9 or the V-Lux 20

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a Canon S90 for my brother last week from dbgadgets for 16k... gray unit.

I think its a very very good price and takes very nice photos also...
    Nikon D700 + MB-D10
    ZENFOLIO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis.pena View Post
    Well there's the LX3 (like you said). If you have dough to spare, you can go for the GF1, the Pen E-PL1 or the NEX-3/5. If you really have the moolah, there's the Leica M9 or the V-Lux 20
    from what i've read, the LX3's better than the Pen E-PL1 and the NEX-3/5. the GF1 is a bit too pricey. the Leica M9 is way way pricey. hahaha. i have read so many good things about the LX3.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenang View Post
    I just ordered a Canon S90 for my brother last week from dbgadgets for 16k... gray unit.

I think its a very very good price and takes very nice photos also...
    the s90 looks like a solid cam.. i'll read up on it.. thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

LX-3 or S90 if you want the smallest cameras with manual controls and good image quality. I use a clone of the LX-3 as my daily camera myself.

A bit bulkier with a more flexible focal length range: Canon G10 or G11.

EVIL cameras like the GF1, PEN and NEX mentioned above will have better image quality because they have DSLR-class sensors inside, but they're significantly bigger and bulkier (unless you use a pancake lens) in size, and are almost as big as the smallest entry-level DSLRs. But they're still quite compact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julianvillafuerte View Post
    from what i've read, the LX3's better than the Pen E-PL1 and the NEX-3/5. the GF1 is a bit too pricey. the Leica M9 is way way pricey. hahaha. i have read so many good things about the LX3.
    Then LX-3 is a nice camera. Looks cool too. Me thinks it'll suit your need just fine. Maybe when you get to be a full-time pilot traveling the continents, the Leica M9 might just be within your price range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Te Seng View Post
    LX-3 or S90 if you want the smallest cameras with manual controls and good image quality. I use a clone of the LX-3 as my daily camera myself.

A bit bulkier with a more flexible focal length range: Canon G10 or G11.

EVIL cameras like the GF1, PEN and NEX mentioned above will have better image quality because they have DSLR-class sensors inside, but they're significantly bigger and bulkier (unless you use a pancake lens) in size, and are almost as big as the smallest entry-level DSLRs. But they're still quite compact.
    thanks! the Canon G10 and G11 got me thinking as well because of their range. but the LX3 offers HD video recording. i dont really know if i should make a big deal out of this but it definitely doesnt hurt right? and from what i've read, the quality of photos of the LX3 is really awesome.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408...oup/page13.asp

i read this review comparing the LX3 to similar models, including the G10. it was the best of the lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with patrick on EVIL cameras,go with the LX-3,S90,G11,or wait a bit for the LX-5. I was actually about to buy the S90,when i heared about the LX-5...Julian what flight school do you go to? Im from omni.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis.pena View Post
    Then LX-3 is a nice camera. Looks cool too. Me thinks it'll suit your need just fine. Maybe when you get to be a full-time pilot traveling the continents, then the Leica M9 might just be within your price range.
    yeah it does look cool. hahaha. the Leica M9? its price is pretty wild. it is definitely a dream to have one. thanks! i think i'm leaning more towards the LX3.