If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What can 18-55mm lens can do?

Is there and idea what can 18-55mm can do in photography? does it need a good dslr camera to have a nice quality pictures?

... is there any way to shot the image without blur no tripod? what is the proper settings using 18-55mm “non vr” lens on a nikon d70 camera, cuz when I increase the aperture to f22 and at least 15-18 shutter speed the image is to dark even with a flash or outdoor area 3-4pm.
    Last edited by christianematias; 07-20-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can 18-55mm lens can do?

Quote Originally Posted by christianematias View Post
    Is there and idea what can 18-55mm can do in photography? does it need a good dslr camera to have a nice quality pictures?

Hi Christian! I'm also a noobie in photography. I bought my first DSLR (a Canon 450D w/ kitlens 18-55mm) last year and I just want to share with you the beauty of what this kitlens can do. Likewise, as we've always been told by the pros, "It's not the camera or the lens but the person clicking the shutter with the concept and the vision." Hope this helps! Cheers!

"There are more spirits behind the bar than in the church."

flickr facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Refer to this thread. http://www.digitalphotographer.com.p...ead.php?t=6436

All lenses need a camera to mount on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christianematias View Post

... is there any way to shot the image without blur no tripod? what is the proper settings using 18-55mm “non vr” lens on a nikon d70 camera, cuz when I increase the aperture to f22 and at least 15-18 shutter speed the image is to dark even with a flash or outdoor area 3-4pm.
    I suggest that before venturing into other lenses explore first the capability of this lens. I believe that this lens (18-55mm) is a kit lens for most entry-level dslr. This provides a wide angle capture @ 18mm to a not super telephoto @55mm meaning you can do wide capture (for landscapes) to not super close captures (like portraits). Explore it the key word. After you have explored it and you probably would know by that time what type of photography you'll probably fit into then it's the time to go and choose your lens.

As to the blur without tripod...that's the problem of most newbies...CAMERA SHAKE. If you are shooting without tripod always bear in mind that you should not go slower (your shutter speed) than the reciprocal of your focal length. Example if you are 30mm focal length your speed should be at least 1/30 seconds to avoid blur or camera shake.

f22 is the smallest aperture. You might want to increase your aperture (lower f's) to allow more light to come in.

Judt my two cents.
    TEAM D3K
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Facebook | Multiply | Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert_hufana View Post
    I suggest that before venturing into other lenses explore first the capability of this lens. I believe that this lens (18-55mm) is a kit lens for most entry-level dslr. This provides a wide angle capture @ 18mm to a not super telephoto @55mm meaning you can do wide capture (for landscapes) to not super close captures (like portraits). Explore it the key word. After you have explored it and you probably would know by that time what type of photography you'll probably fit into then it's the time to go and choose your lens.

As to the blur without tripod...that's the problem of most newbies...CAMERA SHAKE. If you are shooting without tripod always bear in mind that you should not go slower (your shutter speed) than the reciprocal of your focal length. Example if you are 30mm focal length your speed should be at least 1/30 seconds to avoid blur or camera shake.

f22 is the smallest aperture. You might want to increase your aperture (lower f's) to allow more light to come in.

Judt my two cents.
    Wow thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Tong View Post

Thank you for that info

Post Thanks / Like

try reading up on exposure first.
    Make yourself heard
    http://deanedward.multiply.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Tong View Post

Sir I've seen your site and was amazed with your lessons generally basic and advance rule.

Post Thanks / Like

18mm - landscape shot

35mm - 3 to 4 person group shot

55mm - portrait shot

it will be the 'opportunities' that will come your way that will help you decide what lens to purchase after i.e. you will not dare buy a 70-200 lens when you are into landscape photography

Post Thanks / Like

Why not? A lot of landscape photographers have used tele lenses in the past.

Focal lengths do not confine the types of subject you shoot.