If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Post Thanks / Like

effect of shutter speed in DSLR video mode

Hi DPP!

Sorry for this amateur question but what is the effect of the shutter speed in DSLR video mode like for example for the 7D and 5DII? What I mean is that we are given a frame rate for a certain quality like 24fps or 30fps for 1080P, so what is the sense for setting the shutter speed when shooting video since you already set the camera to take 24fps or 30fps? Do I make sense? hehe.. aperture and ISO has to do with it since you want to change the Depth and Brightness/Noise of the said scene. I googled it and knew that shutter speed affects the video mode but how? hehe.. thanks in advance! GOD bless

-jay
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. - Ecclesiastes 3:11

www.jaykun.multiply.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: effect of shutter speed in DSLR video mode

i'm not sure if i understand you correctly, but video recording enabled DSLR can shoot still images and record videos simultaneously... the shutter speed your pertaining to, as usual, is only for shooting still images, also same thing with the aperture.. hope this clarified your concern

Post Thanks / Like

Not the right forum for this question.
    Gil

Post Thanks / Like

video camera shutter…

Video camera shutters work quite differently from still film camera shutters but the result is basically the same. (The technical difference is that, rather than using a mechanical device, the shutter speed is adjusted by electronically varying the amount of time the CCD is allowed to build a charge. If this means nothing to you, don't worry. It really doesn't matter how the shutter works, it's the effect it has that counts.)

The shutter "opens" and "closes" once for each frame of video; that is, 25 times per second for PAL and 30 times per second for NTSC. Thus, if a camera has its shutter set to 1/60, each frame will be exposed for 1/60 second. If the speed is increased to 1/120, each frame will be exposed for 1/120 of a second. Remember, the shutter speed does not affect the frame rate, which is completely separate and in most cases always stays the same.

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/camera/shutter/

f l i c k r
    ®

"Never eat more than you can lift" ~Miss Piggy

Post Thanks / Like

shutter works.. lets say outdoor, you want to shoot at a large opening for the bokeh, say f2.0, your iso is the lowest, lets say 100.. of course you need to adjust the speed to get the exposure you want..

in video mode, do take note how, external flashes affects your shutter speed, even ordinary lights can affect..

Example: settings is shutter speed is 1/500, then someone uses flash on your subject( in cases when you're not shooting alone) if affects how the light is captured in the video. because the sync speed is only upto 1/250, same effect would be on strobing, half of the frame brightens then for a split second.. compared to 1/60, everything brightens for that split second.
    www.dimagedigital.com
    ~It is not only passion that drives our love for photography but the fulfillment of God's calling through this gift.~