If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 192627282930313239 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Images of New York

@virgelio, @russel - what happened to the heat wave, it's like winter all over again..

Post Thanks / Like

yes its cold. ampalaya not coming out.

South Street Seaport

Brooklyn Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Was fortunate enough to get away from my work trip in MD and visit NYC for the first time. Spent just a couple of days, but I now know why photographers love this city.

As an aspiring street photographer, I can't think of a better place to take my camera.

The obligatory touristy shot:

NYC by joshxiv, on Flickr

But for me, the action is definitely at street level:

Somewhere on Fifth Ave:

Little Red Dress by joshxiv, on Flickr

Somewhere on Broadway, and a common sight in NYC:

Ain't 4PM Yet by joshxiv, on Flickr

Times Square:

Untitled by joshxiv, on Flickr

Was actually somewhat disappointed with Times Sq. I knew it was going to be crowded, and my thinking was crowds = more photo ops. But it was a bit too touristy, too many tourists walking around in just plain jeans and t-shirts, LOL. If you want to shoot locals (ie 'real New Yawkers') going about their daily lives, Times Sq isn't it.

And 2 from Wall St:

Red Nails by joshxiv, on Flickr

Morning Coffee by joshxiv, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll be back one or two more weekends before flying back to Manila

Cheers.
    --
    "Forget the long lens bro.. stuff only looks good up close." - The Bang Bang Club Movie.

"I can't remember the last time I saw neon lights being little colorful balls" - Charlie Kirk aka twocutedogs

Flickr | Tumblr | I Hardly Know Her | Manila State of Mind |

Post Thanks / Like

@russel - it may just be mother nature's hiccup, it's getting warmer here in the south again..

@joshua - nice shots, man.. and yep, there's just a bunch of stuff to shoot there..

Post Thanks / Like

Joshua, I agree, Times Square is too touristy (another word for cheap? cheesy?) for classic New Yorker shots. I recently have been frequenting Adorama on 18th and Fifth (close to Union Square) and I'd say there's plenty of photo ops of trendy, young, and hip New Yorkers there. It think that area is part of what's known as the counter-culture districts of Manhattan. Still, don't be too harsh on Times Square -- people are there to be seen so you can take pictures of them to your heart's delight whereas other places Union Square included might not.

Post Thanks / Like

Early Spring NYC pics

#1) The 42nd Street side in the distance of this photo is the more "plush" side of Bryant Park. While the 40th Street -- this photo -- is treated more like a "back" side where park equipment are stored and deliveries made. Lately, however, it's being turned into an enclave for children especially with the addition of the ice cream stall beside the carousel, the preschooler colored tables and chairs, one-hour events geared for kids during the summer.

#2) Washington Square Park between 4th and 6th Streets was a "Potter's Field" (common burial grounds) in 1797 and a place for public executions before it became a public park in 1826. George Washington, for which the park is named, was commander-in-chief when the colony gained independence in 1783.

#3) Fifth Avenue used to run right through and under the marble Washington Arch which was modeled after the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. (source: nycgoveparks.org)

#4) The sculpture, Alice in Wonderland, in Central Park was constructed in 1959 for children "to climb, touch and crawl all over Alice and her friends." (source: http://www.centralpark.com/guide/att...onderland.html)

#5) The Mall in Central Park "was specially designed to accommodate the width of carriages passing through its bounds. Around the turn of the century, these carriages would drop off their wealthy inhabitants at the Mall's starting point, where they could ... mingle with people of lesser status." (source: http://www.centralpark.com/guide/attractions/mall.html)

#6) Bowling Green, situated behind Wall Street's Charging Bull sculpture, is where Native American Indians sold the island of Manhattan to Peter Minuit in 1626.

Thank you for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

These photos of the Dancing With The Stars winners were taken today in Times Square. Last night was the finals. My wife and I are fans of the show.

#1)

#2)

#3)

#4)

#5)

#6)

#7)

#8)

#9)

#10)

I am also now a fan of Quantaray.

I had just purchased a used Quantaray 18-200mm for my Sony A550 yesterday. B&which rates the lens at 8+ on a scale of 10. I thought I couldn't believe I'll be buying an all-around, walk-around lens for so little money.

But before buying, I searched online and saw an overwhelming number negative comments on the lens, some returning after buying, and some saying Quantarays are cheap and rebadged for a reason and so stay away from them.

What I couldn't find online was someone saying what I think is an equally wise business strategy which is to penetrate the lower-priced market with the same quality products but under a different name. So I purchased the lens knowing that B&H offers a full money back guarantee within 30 days.

But I think I'll keep the lens. (And sell an old 28-200mm lens on eBay.) For opportunities like celebrity-spotting in NYC, the Quantaray 18-200mm covers a wide zoom range and (especially at the price I paid) can't be beat.

Thank you for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

(# 3) great capture ^^^