If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Post Thanks / Like

Solved my K10D Back-Focusing Problem

There will always be QC issues involved in whatever product man will make. That’s why a warranty is made compulsory in every product.

Thankfully with Pentax K10D, one can access the Debug Mode and fix any focusing problem without sending the camera back to the company. Imagine spending weeks without your camera. It’s just like not having your (2nd) wife for a long time.

I knew my camera was back-focusing a bit. It was bad enough that it forced me to buy the Katz-Eye Split prism and stick to manual focusing. However, there are some situations that MF is just impossible, especially in capturing fast moving events.

Last night, I had the courage to fiddle with the Debug Menu using MAKC the Russian’s hacked program. It worked. Using Yvon Bourque’s Focusing Test Chart, I was able to correct my camera’s back-focusing problem by dialing +140um adjustment. It was that bad. I knew someone else dialed only +90um in theirs.

I wonder if anyone else has done any AF recalibration with their K10D. If you have, what setting do you use?

To those that have problematic AF, I suggest they do the same. It is not that difficult to do and I guess it will improve your percentage of keepers!

Alex

Last edited by alexjunio; 08-17-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solved my K10D Back-Focusing Problem

Hi Alex. What lenses are you using? Did the correction work with all of your lenses? Thanks for the feedback.

Nols
    "Good enough is usually good enough while perfect is usually too much trouble for what it's worth." - Without Remorse by Tom Clancy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nols,

My camera was basically backfocusing 1cm on a DOF of 1cm. New adjustment of +140um tested on Sigma 17-70mm and Pentax FA 50mm, AF is now smack bang center on both lenses.

Now I could explain my past blurry photos. “It’s the camera not the photographer”.

I could spend more time testing my other lenses, however, the 1st wife is now jealous on the inordinate amount of time I’ve spent with the 2nd wife. Maybe, next time when she’s not looking.

Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, every lens behaves differently on a camera.

Between the two lenses mentioned, there is a variation of 2mm on a DOF of 10mm.

To be specific: with the new adjustment, my Pentax FA 50mm focuses 4mm at the front and 6mm at the back of the focusing point. While with the same setting, the Sigma 17-70mm would focus 2mm at the front and 8mm to the back given a DOF of 10mm. So the subject in both lenses still stays within the focus range.

I am happy with that margin and I don't think it matters a lot in actual field use. Unless, of course if your portrait shots involve pinheads. If macro is your thing, you would be using MF anyway. So far I am happy with this fix and I don't need to upgrade to the K20D yet.

Alex
    Last edited by alexjunio; 08-17-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

did the same thing with my K10D + 16-45/4 ED AL.
    http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/fo...ad.php?t=15333

i did +120 um IIRC.

http://orlygoingthirty.blogspot.com/...on-pentax.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Orly,

I can say you are one of the braver ones to try the Russian program with Cyrillic menus. Your feat is similar to what Clint Eastwood did in the movie Firefox in which he stole and flew a Mig-31 fighter by trying to "think in Russian".

With the release of the English version two months ago, it has made accessing the debug menu from Firmware 1.3 a breeze.

For those contemplating a DIY fix, here's the download link for the english version of the program: http://dednev.pisem.net/setup_gx10_dmctrl_1.1u_eng.exe

Installation password: penta-club.ru

Alex

Post Thanks / Like

After some Googling, I've found this excellent and simple method by Ivan Glisin which works very well:

No need for 1.30. Do the following with 1.31:

In the root directory of your memory card create or copy a text file named

MODSET.TXT

with only one line in it:

[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

After inserting card back to the camera, to enable debug mode do the following:

1. Switch camera off.
    2. Open card door and leave it open.
    3. Switch camera on -- debug menu shows up.
    4. Close card door.
    5. Left/right to enable debug mode.
    6. Press OK to confirm.
    7. Go to Set-Up menu, go to the end and Set-up will change to TEST MODE menu, AF TEST option is there with Focus Corr inside.

To disable debug mode:

1. Switch camera off.
    2. Open card door and leave it open.
    3. Switch camera on -- debug menu shows up.
    4. Close card door.
    5. Left/right to disable debug mode.
    6. Press OK.

Note: you can permanently leave MODSET.TXT file on your card.

Read more at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...#ixzz1DHfb0nZE

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a heads up, the "fix" will be applied to each and every lens. May be more trouble than what it's worth. I think the K20D onwards have a built-in function to store up to 20 lenses focus adjustments'.

Opethian.com | About | PPG | G+ | Twitter
    Pentax K5 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 55-300 | DA 35 2.4 | M 50 1.7
    The Zeitgeist Movement | The Venus Project | The Greatest Geek Who Ever Lived