If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 142122232425262734 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You a Photographer Worth Six Thousand Pesos?

Quote Originally Posted by DoiVillanueva View Post
    Care to share how some one like me can become a paid hobbyist??? Lik what I mentioned earlier... if only the amateurs knew where the starting line is...
    Start by attending some business classes - then you would know where to set your own starting line.
    Adphoto Advertising and Corporate Photography. Production Management - props, locations, talents. Stock Photos. Studio Rentals. Related Photo Services.

For free tips on the business of photography:
    www.adphoto.com.ph/business

Post Thanks / Like

Doi: Read the thread again from page 1, then read it again... You'll get the idea that this has very little to do with photography itself but how you do approach this as a business. It applies to virtually any service-based start-ups.

Post Thanks / Like

[this is such a great thread. kudos to mr marlo for starting this and to mr gamboa for providing a different perspective, to ms harvey chua sharing an opinion coming from an established name in the photography community. this "classic" argument couldn;t come at a better time im sure, not just for me but for eveyone who had a lot of questions but are afraid to post them here. hope to read more. great day everyone.
    Rico Anzures
    Nikon D90, Sigma 18-200, AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1.8G

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Are You a Photographer Worth Six Thousand Pesos?

Very nice, interesting, and informative thread! I stumbled upon this thread when actually I was searching for ideas for online portfolio where I can display my most recent gig -- it was free though. I don't think that I've low-balled myself here as this is my FIRST ever gig. I consider it as my capital, my initial investment into a new level of my hobby and hopefully be a part-timer then turn pro. I may or may not get anything tangible yet but I know I will in the future.

With the first experience, I've learned a lot and this thread did come at the right time. God do let things fall into place.

There's a lot of truth in the previous posts -- some points can really hurt the ego but the truth really hurts and I believe that accepting the truth is the first step to learning. Accept that one needs to learn.

Cheers to all!
    =============================
    QCPCGEULGP
    Be Green! - "AnGeloChiu"
    http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com
    http://picasaweb.google.com/gelo.chiu
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/greengelo

Post Thanks / Like

Very Good thread and informative....

If I may share...I've read and known about this predicament for a while now and its been a problem for photogs around the world...I remember reading about a guy who landed a cover for the Time Magazine and got about $25 for his picture (or some other absurdly low price) because his picture was taken from a stock photography site....I understand that people's livelihood are at stake and I believe that we are all in the same spirit of wishing everyone well but it is what it is...Digital SLR wont go away, the internet will continue to make information easy and accessible.

Is the hobbyist to blame? the part timer?...this change was brought about by the times...think of music and napster...think of the assembly line and the specialized robots...stretch it a bit more and we can even maybe draw a line with call centers in India and in the philippines "stealing" work from angry western workers because a filipino in the philippines is paid maybe 5x cheaper than an american doing the same job in the states...

Economics and Technology are at play as much as the people practicing this craft...it has been noted that change is difficult....indeed it is. Ive read varying opinions some criticizing the photographer for hurting the industry because that cover could have gone to a professional working for a living..some criticizing the critics for being dinosaurs clinging to a business model that is getting more obsolete by the day...

we might be in the middle of a transition for the photography industry...it may take a year or 10 i dunno but technolgy is like a freakin pandora's box....I only hope that whatever form it takes could still be a reasonable form of livelihood for I too would love to shoot for a living..

just my 2 cents
    D60 KREW
    meet me at Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

^ You already mentioned it. Technology makes it possible to use assembly lines for almost everything making things cost-efficient and therefore making products cost less.

Technology enables us to work smarter and not harder.
    ---

Set a mirror correctly and it will lie so convincingly ~ Neil Gaiman, Smoke and Mirrors.

simplyjessie.deviantart.com
    danielleistudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

@ Mam Harvey and Sir David.

Looks like there is misunderstanding. What I meant was what are the other playing fields for the amateurs. I am wondering where else I can earn from photography even in a small amount. Sure I can come up with a studio rental business or something like that, though I want to earn more with my pictures.

anyway all is well

Cheers!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dvilleyes/

facebook.com/DoiVillanuevaPhotography

http://www.metallicportraits.com/#1

"Capturing lovely,unusual stories in a frame"

Nobody likes a stiff photographer--- Nigel Barker

Post Thanks / Like

@Doi: Ah, I see... I posted this site not too long ako, it's worth mentioning here. http://www.asmp.org/strictlybusiness/

Diversification in terms of earning in photography doesn't always have to end with producing a photo.

This is a good read as well.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent my three days (online time) to read this whole thread... truly, a good read... an eye opener.

I wonder why this thread is not yet 'Sticky'.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, Canon EF100 f/2.8 MACRO USM, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 500D Close-up filter lens, Sigma EF-530 DG Super, YongNuo YN460-II(2), Universal Photo Timer trigger, StopShot Water Drop Photography Kit

Post Thanks / Like

It took me the entire afternoon to read and understand (a little ) the entire thread. This really deserve to be 'Sticky'
    Canon Rebel XSi | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 II | Crumpler 7MDH | Other Gears Coming Soon.