If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You a Photographer Worth Six Thousand Pesos?

7. Ever wondered why you, who kicks your own ass, pushing the limits of your own style, giving the clients what they want for the prices that they want it, turning night into day, burning the midnight oil for them, and yet find it hard to upgrade your equipment? or worse, can't afford the pro bodies you SHOULD have because you're a pro?

Then you must be salivating on them that works 10-6 on weekdays only with secretaries and post-processing staff that makes their business worth every lift of their muscles and clicks of their shutters?

Your rates my friend. Change your rates. Follow the pattern of the oil companies' costing strategies. Continually increase, and partially decrease.

Post Thanks / Like

Great basic concepts that are logical as well, Marlo Worse thing any SERVICE-related business can do is undersell yourself just because of "I'm new at this" reason.

If the average market rate seems "high" for you to charge to your client, then maybe it's time to work on your skills to justify to charge AT LEAST the average market rate...

Just because you don't physically cause any damage or harm by offering photography services, doesn't mean it's that different from a newbie mechanic damaging a car's engine, a newbie doctor from cutting off the wrong organ, or a barber that shaved off your ear.

If you can't do business like a professional, try not to offer your services at all unless you explicitly inform your client that you're really just performing a paid practice session.

Price wars only benefit the customer and not the supplier, and business should always be a 2-way street.

The same thing goes with our business in Manila, when a US-based, locally franchised company started a "rate" for their services, other smaller copy-cats followed suit with substandard quality. When we decided to price ourselves slightly above average rates due to technically superior services, we had to stick with it and not lower the price because we're a newcomer. We know how much our skills and time are worth and we're not willing to let customers undercut our prices, in the end, the customer base grew a lot faster with less "price matching" requests down the road.

I guess every service-based (especially those with little to no inventory) should see pricing the same way, calculate base on YOUR time and skill, not how much others are charging.

Don't insult yourself by pricing yourself too low... Be humble enough to know if you're not capable of charging at least the market rate as well.
    Last edited by David Tong; 07-09-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo Moya View Post
    7. Ever wondered why you, who kicks your own ass, pushing the limits of your own style, giving the clients what they want for the prices that they want it, turning night into day, burning the midnight oil for them, and yet find it hard to upgrade your equipment? or worse, can't afford the pro bodies you SHOULD have because you're a pro?

Then you must be salivating on them that works 10-6 on weekdays only with secretaries and post-processing staff that makes their business worth every lift of their muscles and clicks of their shutters?

Your rates my friend. Change your rates. Follow the pattern of the oil companies' costing strategies. Continually increase, and partially decrease.
    Yes. And I hope we find our way through this bad habit of low pricing. Although, I must say I'm just a rookie and will probably price less than 6k. I assume that is your price?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Tong View Post
    Great basic concepts that are logical as well, Marlo Worse thing any SERVICE-related business can do is undersell yourself just because of "I'm new at this" reason.

If the average market rate seems "high" for you to charge to your client, then maybe it's time to work on your skills to justify to charge AT LEAST the average market rate...

Price wars only benefit the customer and not the supplier, and business should always be a 2-way street.

The same thing goes with our business in Manila, when a US-based, locally franchised company started a "rate" for their services, other smaller copy-cats followed suit with substandard quality. When we decided to price ourselves slightly above average rates due to technically superior services, we had to stick with it and not lower the price because we're a newcomer. We know how much our skills and time are worth and we're not willing to let customers undercut our prices, in the end, the customer base grew a lot faster with less "price matching" requests down the road.

I guess every service-based (especially those with little to no inventory) should see pricing the same way, calculate base on YOUR time and skill, not how much others are charging.

Don't insult yourself by pricing yourself too low... Be humble enough to know if you're not capable of charging at least the market rate as well.
    Yes sir. My plan is to work my price up and make the client understand the situation. Business is really one hard part for me but I know I'm learning. TFS.

Post Thanks / Like

8. Ahh, my favorite number. So i'll let you in on a favorite computation.

Who doesn't want a rate that anyone would be comfortable with? The thing is EVERYONE in the business NEEDS to earn, either to spend it for overhead, or capital build up, or equipment upgrade or a vacation or what have you. There is a key to earning RIGHT. Here's an example.

For a wedding project : 8 hours minimum. 14 hours max. Pre-nuptial until event coverage.

Cost of YOUR SELF. Your take home pay : P30,000net
    Cost of 2 lighstmen : P8,000
    Cost of 2 assistant photogs : P18,000
    Cost of transport : P3500.00
    Cost of deliverables : photobook, 40 page, 11x14 : P10,000

Subtotal : P69,500.00
    Add : Percentage amount for equipment depreciation (12% of subtotal) P8,500
    Add : Percentage amount for reasonable income for the business (30% of subtotal) P 20,000

Total price before taxes : P98,000.00

Turns out, a wedding project would be somewhere in this vicinity, while you were "unilaterally" charging your clients P30,000 for an entire project like this and you thought that was enough?!!

Of course, provide discounts. Clients would love you for it. But DO UNDERSTAND, that the discounts you give WILL BE DEDUCTED from YOUR take home pay and not from the studio income or the other items above. This drastically reduces your opportunity to save for upgrades or repairs when the time comes.

When you low ball your rates, you end up having no more money for upgrades and repair. If you break your equipment. You lose your clients.

The idea of GAINING clients when lowballing on costs eventually leads to LOSING them all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo Moya View Post
    8. Ahh, my favorite number. So i'll let you in on a favorite computation.

Who doesn't want a rate that anyone would be comfortable with? The thing is EVERYONE in the business NEEDS to earn, either to spend it for overhead, or capital build up, or equipment upgrade or a vacation or what have you. There is a key to earning RIGHT. Here's an example.

For a wedding project : 8 hours minimum. 14 hours max. Pre-nuptial until event coverage.

Cost of YOUR SELF. Your take home pay : P30,000net
    Cost of 2 lighstmen : P8,000
    Cost of 2 assistant photogs : P18,000
    Cost of transport : P3500.00
    Cost of deliverables : photobook, 40 page, 11x14 : P10,000

Subtotal : P69,500.00
    Add : Percentage amount for equipment depreciation (12% of subtotal) P8,500
    Add : Percentage amount for reasonable income for the business (30% of subtotal) P 20,000

Total price before taxes : P98,000.00

Turns out, a wedding project would be somewhere in this vicinity, while you were "unilaterally" charging your clients P30,000 for an entire project like this and you thought that was enough?!!

Of course, provide discounts. Clients would love you for it. But DO UNDERSTAND, that the discounts you give WILL BE DEDUCTED from YOUR take home pay and not from the studio income or the other items above. This drastically reduces your opportunity to save for upgrades or repairs when the time comes.

When you low ball your rates, you end up having no more money for upgrades and repair. If you break your equipment. You lose your clients.

The idea of GAINING clients when lowballing on costs eventually leads to LOSING them all.
    what a coincidence. 8, 13, and 75 are my favorite numbers.

i wonder how i'm gonna apply that. maybe i should start by blaming those photographers who set the standard of pricing here and work first as apprentice (shakes head).

maybe you should teach this to the club you're starting?

Post Thanks / Like

jerwin, substantiate your increase with your output
    cute and cuddly boys, cute and cuddly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerwinsanjuan View Post
    what a coincidence. 8, 13, and 75 are my favorite numbers.

i wonder how i'm gonna apply that. maybe i should start by blaming those photographers who set the standard of pricing here and work first as apprentice (shakes head).

maybe you should teach this to the club you're starting?
    Hi there Jerwin, seems like the bait is working.

I don't charge 6k for my services if you want to know. I spend that for food of my staff instead, (A few boxes of pizza, soda and buffalo wings, kulang pa nga.)

As with the club, I didn't start any club. If you meant the Nikon Grey, thats not a club i started, thats the club that you BELONG and CONTINUE to start.

It hasn't lifted off a single inch off the ground if you haven't noticed. HAhahaha.

Stick around. More to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otep_benavides View Post
    Ok I'll try determining how to do that. I'll give myself a lot of time for this. Practice is key according to the masters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otep_benavides View Post
    This is next.

9. Substantiate your increase with your output