If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You a Photographer Worth Six Thousand Pesos?

I think people who wants to be photographer should receive informal training first on how photogarphy as a whole should be done before they even get a hold on a camera? wishful thinking?

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO

with the current scenario on our nation economy ... this one is the dagger

There's the class A, the B, the C, and the Classes D and E. Imagine a couple living along the riles who are madly inlove with each other, and they decided to get married. Let's say they are both earning minimum wages. If a wedding coverage was standardized to cost 50K-ish and above, don't you think it wouldn't be far fetched for them to spend the huge amount of money to have their special day immortlized?
    If there are no more 6K photogs to take these kind of jobs, then photography will be an exclusive privilege only for those who can afford.
    it is in the hands of the customers. besides, we dont dictate what our products are worth. they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerwinsanjuan View Post
    Yes. Even those who are already established are very disappointed. It's like we-should-have-not-got-into-this-business kind of hard. Sir, I'm one of those who would want to help to make the community become stronger. Although the reality we face tells us it is useless. But I'm sure there will be people with the same sentiment who hopes tomorrow may be a better day for all of us. God bless.
    True. But the ball game has changed. The rules has changed. High end photography now is almost commoditized. And the big players should realize that.

I would agree that it is a lot harder now, but unless they adapt to the new rules (thanks to DSLR makers and kuripot customers), they will succumb to the harsh realities and they will only be a part of the great history. What they can do is to find ways so they can stand out of the pack and still be attractive enough for would-be customers.

The community might be able to dictate on the photogs but will it be able to influence on how a customer decides to let go of their hard-earned money? I doubt the community will be able to do that. The customer will always find ways and means to have their memories on photographs on their own terms and capacity .. not ours.
    http://www.totogamboa.com
    http://wildbirdsofthephilippines.wordpress.com

puro ka opinion. sagwa namna ng mga kuha mo tulad ko. tara, mag point and shoot na lang tayo! bwahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by totogamboa View Post
    True. But the ball game has changed. The rules has changed. High end photography now is almost commoditized. And the big players should realize that.

I would agree that it is a lot harder now, but unless they adapt to the new rules (thanks to DSLR makers and kuripot customers), they will succumb to the harsh realities and they will only be a part of the great history. What they can do is to find ways so they can stand out of the pack and still be attractive enough for would-be customers.

The community might be able to dictate on the photogs but will it be able to influence on how a customer decides to let go of their hard-earned money? I doubt the community will be able to do that. The customer will always find ways and means to have their memories on photographs on their own terms and capacity .. not ours.
    Yes sir. I think we both get it. I mean what we are trying to say. This is called balance. Two opposing ideas in harmony. It can only be balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Dennis: As mentioned earlier, seeking photographic services is a want, not a need. Setting a target market for your business sets your price range as well. Just the same, if I have 10 bucks in my pocket for coffee, I would go to a carinderia for a cup of it rather than enter UCC, for example.

While as a country, the Phil may be considered "poor", the fact is, just look around this forum, virtually everyone is carrying over 10K worth of equipment AS A HOBBY. Everyone around town has a cellphone. It's rather futile to consider a business that'll target the homeless and the Ayalas at the same time.

Part of the problem with these kind of businesses (non-object-permanence products) is the stigma of "you just pressed the button with a good cam" mindset. While we can't fault clients of thinking that (hey, if they knew how hard it is, they'd probably be doing it or understand your pricing, right?) photography is merely a button-pressing task, it's more unacceptable if fellow photographers follow this line of thinking when they offer their services.

A lot of side-line photographers do think that way, "laway lang puhunan, may cam na ako dati pa" (trans: I just offered lip-service, I have the equipment long ago anyway) and they offer a low price thinking that it's already a profit since they can charge the client for prints/CDs at cost (if they even offer it).

Many think "My gear costs P80k total, if I just do 10 gigs of 8k each, I'm set!"....

One thing most hobbyist forget is that they always ignore the PRICE of their TIME. Their time spent on the actual shoot, their time spend to gather the skill, their time spent when meeting with clients for price/review/selection, their travel time to venues, their time spent starting at their computer screen.

This is a service business, charge your TIME.

Post Thanks / Like

david, i remember a couple of clients asking me before why i'm charging that much. i just told them, you're paying for my time.
    cute and cuddly boys, cute and cuddly

Post Thanks / Like

David did not kill Goliath because he was good with a slingsot!
    David was the best the military had at the time, he was no military soldier, more a rogue warrior. A mercenary of sorts.

He then took the kingship from Saul and made it his. He killed Saul afterwards.
    He killed 2 of his sons who wanted to kill him to become king.
    Eventually, Solomon, became king after David, because he was his son from Bathseba,
    whose spouse David killed too.

We shouldn't be here debating about how to kill each others businesses.

We should be uplifting everyone, and in the process find more opportunities for the 6k photog to grow.

When our profits are good enough to make us smile, I think we should let others smile just the same. Everyone wants a good smile. This can not happen if all we ever think about is how to kill the competitor by the competition that is price. .

Post Thanks / Like

One thing most hobbyist forget is that they always ignore the PRICE of their TIME. Their time spent on the actual shoot, their time spend to gather the skill, their time spent when meeting with clients for price/review/selection, their travel time to venues, their time spent starting at their computer screen.

This is a service business, charge your TIME.
    yup got the point guys ... but what about for those apprentice or beginners that are willing of "free" of charge for there time in exchange for experience or actual trainings and yet the client will see there work and astounded, then the client will do the pricing even though it is just free for the one whose getting some experience...

by the way i'm just a hobbyist and this is not my actual experience ..
    Last edited by dennisbarbaira; 07-11-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by totogamboa View Post
    and one should learn to be 'smart' and 'clever' to succeed in the present business environment.

"if you are 'smart', why are you not rich?'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo Moya View Post
    David did not kill Goliath because he was good with a slingsot!
    David was the best the military had at the time, he was no military soldier, more a rogue warrior. A mercenary of sorts.

He then took the kingship from Saul and made it his. He killed Saul afterwards.
    He killed 2 of his sons who wanted to kill him to become king.
    Eventually, Solomon, became king after David, because he was his son from Bathseba,
    whose spouse David killed too.

We shouldn't be here debating about how to kill each others businesses.

We should be uplifting everyone, and in the process find more opportunities for the 6k photog to grow.

When our profits are good enough to make us smile, I think we should let others smile just the same. Everyone wants a good smile. This can not happen if all we ever think about is how to kill the competitor by the competition that is price. .
    Let us be realistic enough Sir. We can't all be up there, we can't all be down there. When I bought my Nikon, I have 2 choices. one with a respectable price (the black one), and the other was the price that I can afford (the grey one). I am sure the blacks wanted to eliminate the greys (and i dont think this is bad in the true sense of the word). But free market distates what is best for us. THat is why customers do have options. And we as customers are benefiting from it. Imagine if there is a community dictating on how these vendors play. We wont surely like it and we will find ourselves perhaps buying through other means. In the end, we, the customer, will prevail.
    http://www.totogamboa.com
    http://wildbirdsofthephilippines.wordpress.com

puro ka opinion. sagwa namna ng mga kuha mo tulad ko. tara, mag point and shoot na lang tayo! bwahahaha