If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You a Photographer Worth Six Thousand Pesos?

25. If you want to win. You have to let others win too. And you can't win by low-balling your price. You lose the price, YOU LOSE THE PRIZE.

Some photographers may be in a better position than you, you ask yourself how they are able to pull it off, always remember, these are WINNER PHOTOGRAPHERS. They are there because they WIN the prize. You can BE in that position when you begin to BE a winner.

Post Thanks / Like

26. When you want to get noticed, make your own style. When you have your own style, you will get all the notice you want. Be the boss of your own style. Do not remain a copycat, be a boss.

Money is dynamic.
    It never stays in one place all the time. It may stay there for a long time, but eventually, it goes somewhere else.

When money finds your doors. Be ready. Because it may leave without a moments notice. What is it looking for? Money looks for a boss. Someone who is able to make it grow and tell it what to do. It doesn't like to be a boss , although at times, you can really feel its teeth, but money moves around, searching, looking for its potential boss. The boss has an open door, when the boss closes the door, he opens the window, he knows its just a matter of time when money finds him.

So be the boss. Be your OWN style. And money you will have.

makati,dagupan.sector 5 of the orion system
    Post Thanks / Like

this thread should have been a whole seminar on the business of photography. i feel its worth a couple of thousand pesos and in it we get to learn to make hundreds of thousands. really.

Post Thanks / Like

TFS Master Marlo...this thread deserved to be pinned

Post Thanks / Like

27. To get the money. Look like you don't need it. Dress properly and clean yourself up.

When talking to clients, good breeding AND grooming pays. And it pays handsomely.
    When shooting for a wedding. Wear what everyone else is wearing. Do not wear that very expensive Columbia Photographer's pocket shirt while everyone else is wearing a Barong Tagalog. It may be expensive, but you'd look like shit.

Looking like shit IS NOT how you want all those potential Barong-clad clients see you, else they think your the 6k photog.

Trim your nails. Get a new haircut. Ask for an invitation to the wedding. BE PART of the event. Be like a guest who holds a camera, and damn, hold the BEST camera you have in your arsenal. If you have other photogs with you, teach them weeks before how you want the event covered, so you can shake hands with your fellow guests, and leave a mark AND a business card while talking to them, while your assistant continue to shoot. As much as you can, be NEAR the couple, but be smart. You're being paid to do a job, of course, it wouldn't hurt to give out a few business cards. But hell, don't give out ALL of it. you'b be worse than shit, you'd again become the 6k photog.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Although my case is a bit different.

This is what I did a few weeks back - I said NO simply because I was unsure if I am ready to plunge into photography as a side job, that is, with pay. I was asked by another pastor (former showbiz-personality-turned-pastor in one of the fastest growing congregations in the country) if I am willing to accept an assignment. With regards to capability, I firmly believe that I am NOT a PRO (yet) but what made him ask me is because he saw my works - which, I believe, best describes one's level.

Bottom line is, we don't have to plunge into photography just to earn a few bucks and in the process diminish its value. Period! I must say that I have invested (and continue to invest) in this craft - both in terms of equipment and in skills, yet I am not about to go into the paid photography just to recover these investments.

I may not probably give in to paid photography (well, at least at this point, I have no plans of going there yet). But it is also beyond my imagination to contribute to the degradation of photography as a ministry of documentation or as an art form.

I am still learning. We all are.

Thanks for this thread and thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts and experiences.

God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo Moya View Post
    24. If you CAN'T do it. Think first. If you don't want a challenge, learn to say no. If the project is an untried style yet belong to your core photographic competencies, then give yourself a day to decide.

It may pose as a serious challenge to your capability and you may want to push the limits, but do so only if your instincts tell you that you can do it. If you will still figure out if you can do the challenge, then you can't. Pushing your self to the limits is the one thing that separates the professionals from the rest - learn it.

Learning to say no without shooing the client away to the next photographer is an easy art. Either you have prepared a recommendation for another photog, or you are thinking of asking this photog to work WITH you or FOR you. Working with a fellow photog on a project is normal. Explore it.
    Another Shooting Pastor! Living for Christ's Glory.
    Nikon D300 | 17-35 | 18-70DX | 70-200VR | MB-D10
    waiting for the D700 | SB900 | 28-70 | 85 1.4 | 200 2

God's movement in my life
    - http://pastorjeffg.multiply.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by majarlika mirasol View Post
    this thread should have been a whole seminar on the business of photography. i feel its worth a couple of thousand pesos and in it we get to learn to make hundreds of thousands. really.
    Hooorraayyyy!!!!! This is precisely the point.
    After 100 posts and 26 rules of thought, you've finally arrived at the intended fruit.

Should we stop making out rules na?
    Or keep 'em coming?

Post Thanks / Like

High price of fuel, high interest rates, high unemployment, and rising cost of production and easy accessibility and affordability of digital cameras...with all this happening around , what do you think will be the future or outlook of photography as a profession in the country?
    My DSLR is still essential but I have to admit, sometimes it's losing the battle with my LX3

Equipment: Nikon D300S...with numerous cheap "generic" lenses...but I have photoshop!...hehehe

You are a "technician" and not an "artist"...if you are always fuzzy about your equipment and not your "output"!

C'mon lets face it...almost all photos posted in this forum were altered, sharpened or tweaked in some other way!

www.diegodanila.multiply.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diegodanila View Post
    High price of fuel, high interest rates, high unemployment, and rising cost of production and easy accessibility and affordability of digital cameras...with all this happening around , what do you think will be the future or outlook of photography as a profession in the country?
    Photography as a profession has withstood wars, political turmoil, economic crisis and technology ever since it was invented. Too many of these crisis has sparked too many opportunities for those who keeps their focus and instead of being doomed has flourished.

This present condition we are in is no different.

We will withstand. We will remain.
    Last edited by Marlo Moya; 07-10-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: withstand to withstood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo Moya View Post
    and another one.

17. Keep your day jobs.
    Definitely.

I don't to photography full time, but I do have a growing business. It's big enough to allow me little luxuries (like supporting the gear habit), but I still keep my day job in IT.

Great thread, Marlo, very informative even for people like myself (at this point, qualified to go for the "paid practice shoots" hehe). Glad to see others contributing too.