If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 121920212223242532 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You a Photographer Worth Six Thousand Pesos?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey_Chua View Post
    I've learned that I can't keep doing the same thing and still expect a different result. The way to move up from 6K is to learn to do something that others are not doing or offering. Try to do something others find difficult, or do something nobody else has thought of. Remember Anne Geddes - the baby photographer? She still did what she liked - which was photographing babies - but she introduced a way of photographing babies that nobody else was doing then - with all sorts of cute props to make them look like bees, babies in pails etc. Then when almost every baby photographer was copying her style, she started to shoot babies not at what was popularly thought as the most cute stage - which is when they could sit up -but just a few days old. Her sale is still skyrocketing - she's into books, cards, all sorts of merchandise.

We need to learn to innovate.
    So that's her name, I've always found her displays to be extremely FRESH despite the simplicity...

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=totogamboa;446161]

With this in mind, how can i be differentiated in the customer's short list if I price myself like a bigger player? quote]

I believe the more challenging question that can bring in more bucks is - outside of price, how else can I compete? How can I differentiate myself from others? What can I offer that nobody else is offering? Of course, competing on the basis of price is still an option, but it should be the last consideration.
    Adphoto Advertising and Corporate Photography. Production Management - props, locations, talents. Stock Photos. Studio Rentals. Related Photo Services.

For free tips on the business of photography:
    www.adphoto.com.ph/business

Post Thanks / Like

@ Majarlika Mirasol

"Soon enough i found myself tired, frustrated, broke and with less and less equipment.and sad. as in. I got the deals, but I wasn't happy. I was worse than when I started off. Broke and miserable."

Upon seeing this statement of yours, I told myself, that you already failed before you even got started. For me, that was like starting on a wring footing.

By competing, by cutting prices, it doesnt mean you have to forego profits. You cut prices coz you see yourself investing on a move that someday you will get returns of your investment. You have to weigh a lot of things, you have to carefully lay out your long term strategy and how you will be able to achieve it. You dont grow your business once transaction at a time.

By giving away something without getting back in return is outright recklessness in business. Bottomline, dont cut prices without knowing why you are cutting your prices and just for the sake of getting the deals. The real pros will be laughing at you if you do that. Here are some of things I have done before that paid well after:
    • I gave a significant discount to a high profile client in exchange of another contract. That contract states, I can use them as reference in my portfolio and be allowed to drop/use their name that they are one of my most high profile clients. Some clients just dont want strings attached after a transaction. But I can see a lot of outfits use their client's photos for their portfolios without explicit permission. WARNING: By failing to capitalize on this after the transaction, you are only wasting some things you have just gained.
    • I gave a deal for free knowing i will gain a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience if I get the deal. I know that if I dont get this deal, there is no way for me to gain the knowledge and experience through any other easy means. WARNING: By failing to capitalize on this after the transaction, you are only wasting some things you have just gained.
    • I overpriced a deal (400% from possibly what I thought would be the highest competitor price) as I see the deal as something of a distraction to begin with. In short, I am really avoiding to get the deal but I just couldn't shoo anyone away if they really like to get my services. In my mind, If I get this deal, it should really well worth my time, thus I saw to it that I profit really really really big. To my surprise, the wealthy client still wanted me to do it. I dunno if they were stupid or just have lots of money. But in the end, it turned to be one of the best one time deals I ever had. Had the client, went and signed up with a competitor, I'd be happy to know that they will be distracting my competitor, not me.
    Just carefully balance your strategies. Always do things advantageous to you and things that will make you happy but always try to capitalize on the gains you just had coz nothing lasts forever.
    http://www.totogamboa.com
    http://wildbirdsofthephilippines.wordpress.com

puro ka opinion. sagwa namna ng mga kuha mo tulad ko. tara, mag point and shoot na lang tayo! bwahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

I've learned that I can't keep doing the same thing and still expect a different result. The way to move up from 6K is to learn to do something that others are not doing or offering. Try to do something others find difficult, or do something nobody else has thought of. Remember Anne Geddes - the baby photographer? She still did what she liked - which was photographing babies - but she introduced a way of photographing babies that nobody else was doing then - with all sorts of cute props to make them look like bees, babies in pails etc. Then when almost every baby photographer was copying her style, she started to shoot babies not at what was popularly thought as the most cute stage - which is when they could sit up -but just a few days old. Her sale is still skyrocketing - she's into books, cards, all sorts of merchandise.

We need to learn to innovate.
    That is adapting. That is embracing constant change. She is always evolving so she becomes a hard target for her competitors.

puro ka opinion. sagwa namna ng mga kuha mo tulad ko. tara, mag point and shoot na lang tayo! bwahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Harvey_Chua;446998]
    Quote Originally Posted by totogamboa View Post

With this in mind, how can i be differentiated in the customer's short list if I price myself like a bigger player? quote]

I believe the more challenging question that can bring in more bucks is - outside of price, how else can I compete? How can I differentiate myself from others? What can I offer that nobody else is offering? Of course, competing on the basis of price is still an option, but it should be the last consideration.
    Yes I agree. Pricing is just one aspect of the game. Only those pros who refuse to adjust when needed and doesnt have an ounce of creativeness in their blood are the ones most likely to be vulnerable to price wars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerwinsanjuan View Post
    Sir, nobody is blaming anybody.
    I agree that no one should be blamed for what is happening to the profession. Instead of photographers blaming each other, they should actually be working together. And this is why I like Marlo's inputs - they are meant to help and unite, not blame or divide.
    Precisely, what I meant. Ma'am Harvey just said it way better.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Good read Marlo!

If there's one thing that I've learned from this thread, it's about sharing what you know and not selfishly keeping things for your own -- your doing a good service to all the other responsible fotogs out there! If given the chance, I'll do the same and share what I learned and do a pay it forward.

Cheers!
    Ian
    I wish I was born rich instead of handsome.....

www.flickr.com/photos/abureedoh
    www.nissanbayan.com

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! ang haba ng thread but worth the time spent reading it...
    "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

Canon EOS 450D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Speedlite 430EX II | OwnUser Battery Grip

Post Thanks / Like

i missed a good portion of this topic already. i wonder if theres a way to consolidate the post / opinions so i can just print ; P
    "There is never a better time to chase your dream than now. Make this life count... do what you love!"

Post Thanks / Like

This thread rocks.....read the whole thread in 3 days....(since am reading it only during break time / lunch periods - even had to hasten my lunch just to hv time to read)...am blessed with all the info sharing with the community. I hope someone will have the time to consolidate and share a pdf version of the thread to the community. More blessings if this happen....kudos to the authors.