If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 35 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are You a Photographer Worth Six Thousand Pesos?

The business of Photography offers a lot to those who seek to make it their source of income - be it the ONLY source or on the SIDE. But many, and I know a few, who does not seem to know the worth of their own services.

Not knowing the worth of your own services is like punching a hole on the hull of your own ship. Eventually, rather than float, you sink.

I say eventually, because no matter how low you price yourself for the unreasonable sake of getting even more clients will end up as an exercise in futility. I'm sure you'll end up with broken equipment and have no money to replace it.

Goodbye clients.

If you have been doing this business for a period of time and seems to have gone nowhere, or haven't saved enough money for the lenses you NEED, then this thread is for you.

Pricing yourself is important. Business is all about money. Don't get into any business if you intend to lose. Be it your money or your time. So know your own rates.

My dear photogs who have convincing words to tell fellow photogs not to low-ball their rates, let us raise the flags that bring us the food!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You a Photographer Worth Six Thousand Pesos?

1. Price your self like there's no tomorrow. You are a valuable addition to society. Your eyes, your skill, your passion, your taste. Everything about you and your photography is a tangible result that is required and sought after by many, who either does not have the talent or does not have the time. This is an opportunity. So grab it and sincerely lay your cards on the table.

Post Thanks / Like

2. Price your self like you would go to a war - and add insurance. you'll never know what you're getting in to, where you're going, what you will be shooting and how you will be shooting it.

Post Thanks / Like

3. Price your self the way your clients want you to price them.

All clients requiring photography services have an allotted budget to it. It may be considerable, or money may not be an object, or it may be within reasonable bounds.

Ask. that's all you really need to do.

And it will be given to you.
    Last edited by Marlo Moya; 07-09-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

4. When you don't know how much to charge, let your wife do the talking. If wife was unable to land the project. The client is just going to waste your time. Better spend that time with her.

Post Thanks / Like

5. When you think you've overpriced a client, having fluently told them how much you want to be paid. Just SHUT YOUR MOUTH and let the silence do the computing. The client either thinks you have too many clients to take care of, or you do great work, or your a con man.

Don't worry too much. The next photog that the client will go to has read this thread anyway, chances are, he'll over price just the same.

The thing is, as Dominique James would have it his way, compete on QUALITY. Never on PRICE. Do not disgust your fellow photogs. Respect is supreme.

Post Thanks / Like

6. An accountant will charge you P30,000 for his signature on an audit and financial statements for 2 hours work. I suggest you START your rates that way too. I did not say END okay. Because a wedding lasts for at least 8 hours. A concert event for at least 5 hours. A product will be advertised for at least a year.

Post Thanks / Like

im monitoring this thread, not because it violates any forum rules but i find it truly interesting.
    There's no light to guide on my way home. There's no time to shine my rusty halo.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Master Nino. Thanks. Would love to find a few of your commandments forever etched in this "price counselling" thread.

Rather than let the industry rates get banged by a price war that makes no sense and lose a growing clientele to the unapologetic, somehow, a proactive approach into getting the right issues into the mindset of photogs that want to EARN doing photography would be a good topic.

For the betterment of the industry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo Moya View Post
    Hey Master Nino. Thanks. Would love to find a few of your commandments forever etched in this "price counselling" thread.

Rather than let the industry rates get banged by a price war that makes no sense and lose a growing clientele to the unapologetic, somehow, a proactive approach into getting the right issues into the mindset of photogs that want to EARN doing photography would be a good topic.

For the betterment of the industry.
    Sounds like you know what you are talking about. This is also the dillema photographers here in my area are facing and I really don't want to add up to this. TFS.